New to Forum

OP
R

Ronin

when tracy lost a mass amount of students to parker what was his explanation?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't remember any "mass" loss of students at one time... the loss has been a gradual one over the years. One at a time calling Mr. Parker and asking to be a student. On the other hand several that ran into heat with Ed Parker contacted Al Tracy to join him! lol

:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another one for you GD, were you in awe or dumbstruck when you went to train with Mr. Parker.

Also, how did the training go, did he dictate what you did, did you start at the begining and cover everything? Just interested how you got the training going with him.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not awe struck at all..... I was too old for that and had worked with great martial artists before and bodyguarded some big names as well (Iron Butterfly, Elton John). Excited was more the word.

He asked what he could help me with and I told him I wanted to start at the beginning with Yellow Belt and progress forward. You know basic stances etc. He responded with "Ah come on, you know your basics I've seen you..", I said yes I think I do but I have a studio full of people and I want it like you want it done. If you don't mind ...... please review me and if they are ok we can advance faster... if not ... make suggestions or comments on how I could do it better, or more correctly in your methods.

He agreed and we proceeded.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Not awe struck at all..... I was too old for that and had worked with great martial artists before and bodyguarded some big names as well (Iron Butterfly, Elton John). Excited was more the word.

He asked what he could help me with and I told him I wanted to start at the beginning with Yellow Belt and progress forward. You know basic stances etc. He responded with "Ah come on, you know your basics I've seen you..", I said yes I think I do but I have a studio full of people and I want it like you want it done. If you don't mind ...... please review me and if they are ok we can advance faster... if not ... make suggestions or comments on how I could do it better, or more correctly in your methods.

He agreed and we proceeded.

And after he reviewed you, what belt did you start at? How long
till YOU made first black?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

And after he reviewed you, what belt did you start at? How long
till YOU made first black?

I was a second Black when I started with him. Three years later he promoted me to third.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Kirk meant when he reviewed you, with your desire to start at the beginning and progress accordingly, how long did it take for you to work through all the material and reach 1st Black through the progression.

Its actually a question I've wondered when looking at individuals who have worked 1 system, and moved to another similar, is how long to 'get up to speed' and 'polish' when one is experienced.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like that question Kaith, when I was in TKD we had a guy come in as a red belt (just before black) from another TKD organization and he had to start over and it took him 2 years to get back to red.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen enough variations within the same system to make my head spin. (alota things do that though) :)

I spent some time with Sensei Ingmar Johansson who's doing the Viking camp soon (shameless plug, go if you can, I've heard its a blast! Infos somewhere on the Kenpo forum I believe.)

He told me about the origins of the Yellow belt system, and showed me the whole ciriculum outlined on paper. It made sence. Every movement made sence. But, it wasn't the same setup as the one I had studied. Both Sensei Johansson and my other Kenpo instructors taught the same system, yet it was different. If I could learn Swedish and afford to spend 6 months in Sweden, I'd go. It was like a light went on in my head (I know cuz ya saw the reflection on the walls) :D

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
How'd the kick feel, being done by Mr. Parker and all?

It was certainly an Honor to be promoted by Mr. Parker that is for sure..... (4th and 5th as well) but to tell you the truth, all my past instructors were awesome. My first Instructor did a number on me I'll never forget, he gave me a mega head start in Kenpo. Mr. Swan was a great forms model and of course Steve LaBounty is a trainer of Champions and leaders ..... one of the finest total Martial Artists there is today. Tom Riskas opened doors for me on how to extract the most from Ed Parker and Tom Kelly built reality around proper foundation structure and attitude.

The kick itself was brisk but so were the rest of those mentioned the only difference was He is the founder of the system the rest are the great ones that are continuing his system.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can understand that Kaith. I was used to doing the Kenpo techniques in the order that Mr. Parker laid them out.
But, my kenpo instructor has taken them and rearranged them so that when you learn one, you learn it's opposite next.
It's an interesting way to learn the techniques.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there one thing you like doing in kenpo more than others,
such as, doing techniques with your students, or sparring or weapons or forms, or etc....?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Klondike93

I can understand that Kaith. I was used to doing the Kenpo techniques in the order that Mr. Parker laid them out.
But, my kenpo instructor has taken them and rearranged them so that when you learn one, you learn it's opposite next.
It's an interesting way to learn the techniques.

You learn it's opposite next? Are they actual techs, or is it
an addition? I've heard about learning opposite sides, but
I thought it was something that a lot of kenpoists did outside
(or sometimes inside) class. I know Delayed Sword and Sword
of Agression are opposites .. but does each tech have an
opposite tech in the lineup?

Latest Discussions