New Sparring Opportunity for me

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tonight may be a new opportunity for me to spar against some new students and hopefully a student I haven't sparred with in over 3 years. I'm really excited to see if I have progressed as much as I think and feel that I have. I will discover that my Thursday fight application classes are off, or that they are right on target.

This is sort of my testing moment on some of the new understandings of the fighting system I train in, and how well I'm able to apply the techniques after about 3 months of no sparring. If I can be fully committed to the technique, and if my new understanding is correct then I should be able to do some Kung Fu looking fighting. If I don't understand it then I'll end up with a video of me eating a few punches, which will be entertaining to many of you here. It's rare that I get to try to apply completely new techniques in a free sparring situation

Things that will hopefully be tested tonight.
  • My understanding of Vision and Movement
  • My understanding of how to control the fight - I'm going to have another student give me a technique to perform and my goal is to make my opponent attack me with a certain punch that will allow me to do that technique.
  • My understanding of how to figure my opponents movement and habits (enough to read his movements) within 30 seconds or less and then exploit those movements - this will be really challenging.
Unfortunately my excitement will be a bust if certain students don't show up.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I had an odd number of students sparring tonight so I was the "odd man out." I spent most of my time teaching and not much time drilling. I didn't get a chance to spar with the new student. I think the other instructor worked the new student over pretty good tonight. Hopefully it wasn't too much for the new student. While I didn't get to try out my new stuff, the other students had a good night of learning how to fight.

Latest Discussions