New school

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to my school and while I like it over all, there is someone in the beginner's class with me who I really dislike training with for a number of reasons. I've been involved in martial arts since I was eight years old so I have trained along side all kinds of people and consider myself to be tolerant and respectful. It baffles me why this person is training as he has been there close to two years and has only passed one belt test, is never able to perform the material, and hasn't shown improvement in the time I've been there.
I guess I'm just wondering if this is a bad sign that my school is too willing to accept anyone as long as they're willing to pay. I mean, this student isn't disrespectful or anything but it's frustrating to train with someone who has been there longer than I have yet can't do the material. I think I'm also wondering if it would ever get to a point that an instructor might ask a student to leave if no progress is being made.
I hope this makes sense and I'm not coming off as disrespectful.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people just don't progress at martial arts very fast. And yes you kind of are being judgemental.

By the way if a guy keeps turning up we will keep training him. That is the commitment. The school makes to the student. And the student makes to the school.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
By who's opinion have they not shown improvement?

If it's your opinion, in what way are you qualified to judge?

I don't know how old you are, so saying you've been involved since you were 8 is pretty meaningless if you're 14. Even if you're 40, it still doesn't necessarily mean you've really absorbed anything...

If someone isn't progressing as fast as everyone else, why should the instructor tell them to leave if they're not being disrespectful or disruptive?

In my couple of years I've overtaken quite a few other people, but all that means is I'm on my journey, not theirs. Even though they've been attending a couple of years longer than me, I still help them when asked, they don't take it badly and I don't think it makes me superior. I just know more.

Things like I make extra time outside class to study and practice make a difference to me, who knows if they've got that opportunity to prioritise their MA studies - not me.

Focus on yourself, be what you want to be and let them do likewise.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i know people who have been training for 50 years and i can say, it doesnt look like they got any better in the last 30 years.
as @pdg said focus on yourself. other people's progress is not your concern. if you find it frustrating to work with this person the question should be why do you feel that way? why does this persons actions effect you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to my school and while I like it over all, there is someone in the beginner's class with me who I really dislike training with for a number of reasons. I've been involved in martial arts since I was eight years old so I have trained along side all kinds of people and consider myself to be tolerant and respectful. It baffles me why this person is training as he has been there close to two years and has only passed one belt test, is never able to perform the material, and hasn't shown improvement in the time I've been there.
I guess I'm just wondering if this is a bad sign that my school is too willing to accept anyone as long as they're willing to pay. I mean, this student isn't disrespectful or anything but it's frustrating to train with someone who has been there longer than I have yet can't do the material. I think I'm also wondering if it would ever get to a point that an instructor might ask a student to leave if no progress is being made.
I hope this makes sense and I'm not coming off as disrespectful.
I've taught people who made no real progress. Most of them were kids, but I've had a few adults who just...didn't. A couple of them, it was an internal issue - they just didn't have the will to hit and fight, so they were always going so soft that they couldn't really make anything work properly. The others just didn't seem to be very "present" in their training - it was like they expected that going through the motions was all that was required. Most of them don't stay more than a month or two, but at least one I can think of stayed around for a couple of years. It was never fun to work with her, so I rotated her from partner to partner as much as possible. But I kept trying.

It's a tough call as an instructor. Do you clear them out to raise the average in the room? I probably would today with those just going through the motions. But those with no fire, who weren't progressing - I'd still keep trying as long as they kept showing up. For me, if they are trying, I'll try. If I feel like they aren't, I'll have a talk with them and find out why not, and maybe (depending upon the talk) suggest they find a more suitable hobby.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will take any student who has a good attitude toward others and training.
It is about helping people grow not just in physical skill but mental attitude, can do spirit, and Never Giving Up.
Some will grow and be outstanding martial artists, some will grow and be average martial artist, some will grow and be below average. However skilled they become All who come and continue to train will grow into better people.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So the guys not a natural talent so you reckon they should kick him out....yeah I really hope you don't ever teach. There are some who just aren't that good and will always struggle. That's not a bad thing that's the way life goes at times. If the guys turning up trying his best who are you to judge him. He's only done one belt so what maybe he doesn't want belts. If he's not actually bothering you then frankly it's none of your business what he does.

Frankly yes you are being disrespectful whys it frustrating to you martial arts is an individual sport not a team sport unless your doing specific team competitions so its not like his skill or lack of is affecting your training

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone is being a little harsh, maybe more than necessary. But their points are good ones and maybe you should adjust your attitude a little. I would also suggest you talk to your teacher. He may choose to tell you why that person is still welcome as a student. Or not. But as mentioned, your real commitment is to your own improvement.

Learning how to deal with such people as you describe may also be of benefit to you should you ever decide to, or be required to, teach as well.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP would probably think the same of me if she came to the same kickboxing class.

I've only done a couple of belt tests, I haven't massively progressed, other people who started around the same time are almost on brown...

I participate, I spar, but really it's more of a cardio exercise session for me.

I choose to concentrate on TKD, so that's my priority.

Does anyone think I'm wasting their time with my presence? Honestly I neither know nor care...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone is being a little harsh, maybe more than necessary. But their points are good ones and maybe you should adjust your attitude a little. I would also suggest you talk to your teacher. He may choose to tell you why that person is still welcome as a student. Or not. But as mentioned, your real commitment is to your own improvement.

Learning how to deal with such people as you describe may also be of benefit to you should you ever decide to, or be required to, teach as well.
I don't think anyone's saying anything harsh. Think it like this imagine you're trying your best in class and you're not doing great but you keep trying then you have someone going round saying you should be kicked out the club how would that make you feel?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's saying anything harsh. Think it like this imagine you're trying your best in class and you're not doing great but you keep trying then you have someone going round saying you should be kicked out the club how would that make you feel?

I don't think the points are harsh, but perhaps the delivery to a new person on MT isn't very friendly. Just my opinion. If you don't agree I understand and don't take umbrage. I can only hope no one else takes umbrage.

I would guess we all just need to see the tenor of any future posts by the OP.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think the points are harsh, but perhaps the delivery to a new person on MT isn't very friendly. Just my opinion. If you don't agree I understand and don't take umbrage. I can only hope no one else takes umbrage.

I would guess we all just need to see the tenor of any future posts by the OP.
Sure but his first post on here isn't very friendly either

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP would probably think the same of me if she came to the same kickboxing class.

When I first started studying TKD, you would have thought I was the most terrible person to teach you had ever seen, and I probably was. When I began studying Hapkido, even I thought I was so uncoordinated as to be a candidate for medical intervention. :)

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have more respect for the guy who continues to train, despite not being able to progress. It's easy to come and train when you are talented and when you get it, when you are moving up through the ranks. It's much harder to continue to train, when it is slow and you are not showing the progression. I look up to those people, they become my inspiration, especially when I hit my own plateaus. It's almost like these people have found what they are looking for, in the training and not in the thingy that keeps their gi closed.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
A zipper? and you quibble over the name? ;) :)

I believe the zip was introduced by the ITF in 1982 as part of the then 'new' dobok (or dobak, depending on which romanisation you prefer ;)).

So y'know, traditional by now :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the zip was introduced by the ITF in 1982 as part of the then 'new' dobok (or dobak, depending on which romanisation you prefer ;)).

So y'know, traditional by now :p

I guess I just need to get out more. :oops:

Latest Discussions