New member ...

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like the style of Kempo that I'm learning at ussd, and I'm curious as to what our style has in common with other schools. I know that ussd teaches the same thing as the Villari org. which makes sense since Villari taught Mattera and Demasco, this is not a bad thing since Villari did the same thing when he left Nick Cerio. I think it would be great if we could participate in tournaments with other kempo schools so we could learn from each other and have a healthy amount of competion between as well as respect.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I too like the style that I'm learning. Yes, it is nearly identical to Villari's Kempo, I've done both. The one thing I notice is that my memory of Villari's Kempo as it compares to USSD is that of fighting. I believe it was much more physical back when, however, that may be more closely related to the times, it was the mid to late 80's then. If my memory serves me right, a large class was 8 persons. Where I am now, with USSD, a small class is 14, no matter what class. So, I guess what I'm saying with the numbers is that the participants were more 'hardcore' than today. I believe alot of who is participating in martial arts today, at least in the so-called McDojos are people that simply like the workout and the raise in confidence that studying the arts brings. Some may say it's a false confidence, and it very well could be, however, in my experience showing nothing but confidence in a situation can tone things down. Most criminals do not want to attack a confident person, they attack fear ... they want to feel powerful, in-charge. Agree or disagree, I have been in situations that simply remaining calm and showing confidence in myself, allowing them an out, has kept me out of trouble. Fighting or defending oneself should be a last resort, not being in the situation in the first place is the winner. In otherwords, I believe martial arts makes a person more aware of thier surroundings and by being more aware, allows the person to stay out of negative situations.

OK, I'm rambling, so I'll move on ... I am beginning to cross-train a bit, cause other than strength and weight, I may be in just a bit of trouble should I end up on my back. No, USSD may not be the most desirable art for hardcore martial artists, but it does bring martial arts to the masses, even if you want to call it a low-level martial art. If nothing else, people are exercising, working out, keeping the joints moving, keeping the blood flowing ... it's obviously not all bad or it wouldn't exist.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey ussd introduced me to Kempo/Kenpo and the world of martial arts and for that I will always be grateful even if I don't stay with ussd.

pinion

White Belt
Reaction score
My personal lineage, yes I do. As far as styles, Fred Villari's and USSD. As far as my instructors and thier rank when I was with them: Frank Ley, 1st Degree (currently 6th Degree with USSD), FV; Dennis Knowles, 4th Degree, FV; Robert Pearlswig, 6th, FV (currently 8th Degree, ASSK); Currently training under a 3rd Degree, USSD. Again, this is just who I've been with not a complete lineage.

I am interested in how you confirm the creditials of a teacher before training with them? I live in oregon and have heard mostly good things about ASSK. But how do I know they are the real deal? How do I confirm this from a neutral party?

If you don't mind me asking, when was this time period? Would you know where Robert Pearlswig got his 8th degree? I thought ASSK was just his own school and all records I find on Master Pearlswig training say he got to either 6 or 7th with Grand Master Villari. How do I confirm his current rank, when he would recieved it and from who?

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am interested in how you confirm the creditials of a teacher before training with them? I live in oregon and have heard mostly good things about ASSK. But how do I know they are the real deal? How do I confirm this from a neutral party?

If you don't mind me asking, when was this time period? Would you know where Robert Pearlswig got his 8th degree? I thought ASSK was just his own school and all records I find on Master Pearlswig training say he got to either 6 or 7th with Grand Master Villari. How do I confirm his current rank, when he would recieved it and from who?

I can't confirm his 8th. When he was my teacher, he was 6th, that was 1988-1990. On my certificate, Master Pearlswig was listed as 6th Dan in December of 1989, that is all I can confirm. It is not out of the ordinary for a person to have ranked twice in the 17 years that have passed since I was with him, but I can not tell you where he got his rank or from who. What I can tell you is that from what I remember and from everything I've heard, he was pretty well respected as a fighter ... and I'll leave it at that.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm not sure where Master Pearlswig got his higher rank. He left the Villari organization back in 88/89 timeframe. That doesn't mean he couldn't have received more rank from FV, but I would doubt it. Maybe a Fred Bagley, or one of the higher ranks that split from FV. I have no idea and was not able to find anything on the Internet.

I can tell you that Master Pearlswig is the real deal, whether he is wearing 6, 7 or 8 stripes doesn't matter. Once a person reaches 5 stripes, they usually know the entire system, just years of experience earn stripes in most systems. Being that he was 6 stripes in 88/89, it would not be unrealistic at all for him to have ranked twice in the 17/18 years that have passed. In fact, I'm very surprised, that in the amount of time that has lapsed, he's not wearing 9 stripes.

Latest Discussions