New member ...

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome 14 Kempo! I am a blue w/green stripe in the USSD system and am completely devoted to my training and instructor. I am completely confident that the system is legitimate and have my children enrolled as well. I am also very aware of the negativity surrounding USSD and find it fairly ridiculous. USSD is a business, run by very adept business people. USSD is also a training ground for martial artists -- a very welcoming training ground with excellent instructors (especially in SoCal) and encouraging Masters. Every rank test to which I have been invited has been a huge educational opportunity facilitated by knowledgeable martial artists, including Shihan Paul Taylor. In short, I have been very impressed with both my so-called Mc-Training and the so-called shady businessmen of USSD. You get what you pay for!!

Well, I too believe the system is legitimate. So many are close minded. The arts should teach a person to open thier mind. I see so many people that believe a technique must be performed only the way it is taught. Open the mind, look at techniques not for what they are, but what they can be. I also believe that the art in many cases has been diluted, but what art hasn't? If it is a traditional art, does the master always teach everything he knows and beyond? Doubtful that happens in every case ... so by its very nature, the art as it is known at the time, will become diluted. That doesn't mean that it can't grow as well. It just grows in different directions in some cases. Some of those directions are good, some not so good. No one is saying that this is the only art, there is nothing else. A person won't pay for something if they feel it has no value and I for one, will not chastise a person either way. do what is nest for you. Enjoy!

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome 14 Kempo! I am a blue w/green stripe in the USSD system and am completely devoted to my training and instructor. I am completely confident that the system is legitimate and have my children enrolled as well. I am also very aware of the negativity surrounding USSD and find it fairly ridiculous. USSD is a business, run by very adept business people. USSD is also a training ground for martial artists -- a very welcoming training ground with excellent instructors (especially in SoCal) and encouraging Masters. Every rank test to which I have been invited has been a huge educational opportunity facilitated by knowledgeable martial artists, including Shihan Paul Taylor. In short, I have been very impressed with both my so-called Mc-Training and the so-called shady businessmen of USSD. You get what you pay for!!

Hey pal ask your masters why Grand Master Fred Villari is not in your black belt manual?
Ask them what dm or form is shaolin?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am also with ussd, and as to why Fred Villari is not even mentioned in the ussd manual, I imagine it's because Charles Mattera broke away from Villari and took a lot of Villari's schools out west with him. There is probably some bad blood between them, be that as it may though I think Villari should be included in the manual since he did train Mattera and Demasco up to their 7th dan's.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am also with ussd, and as to why Fred Villari is not even mentioned in the ussd manual, I imagine it's because Charles Mattera broke away from Villari and took a lot of Villari's schools out west with him. There is probably some bad blood between them, be that as it may though I think Villari should be included in the manual since he did train Mattera and Demasco up to their 7th dan's.

I heard mattera only made it to 6th but whatever it's not like I'll get straight answer from him or his lackys. If they lie about where the art came from(fred villari) and thats its really villari kempo not shaolin I would not believe a word they say.

My instructor said mattera ran villaris thats not true. He also said they were partners also a lie. Fred Bagly was the President of villaris when charlee stole all those schools. Charlee was just a district manager when he left.

These are just a few lie's about them I wonder how many more you could dig up since your still with them.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey joe ask your instructor about why you cant own your dojo 100% anymore I am sure he'll have a good answer.

And if you aren't dying of laughter ask him why we dont pay respect to GM Fred Villari?

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have asked and the answer to both questions was the same. I don't know. My instructor says he has deep respect for GM Villari but does not why he is not mentioned. As for the Shaolin Kempo name that comes from Villari himself, when he broke away from Nick Cerio ( in similar fashion as Mattera & Demasco left him ) Villari called his style Shaolin Kempo Karate.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
All the information I've been able to find outside of ussd is that Mattera left as a 7th dan, got his 8th dan from Prof. Nick Cerio, and was then joined by Steve Demasco who was a 7th dan at the time.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have asked and the answer to both questions was the same. I don't know. My instructor says he has deep respect for GM Villari but does not why he is not mentioned. As for the Shaolin Kempo name that comes from Villari himself, when he broke away from Nick Cerio ( in similar fashion as Mattera & Demasco left him ) Villari called his style Shaolin Kempo Karate.

Does your instructor know that he could own a villaris school for 50,000
And keep all THE MONEY? Unless he is happy with ussd.

And if he thinks in the next 10 years he'll have 10 of his own dojos with ussd.
Right before I left my instructor said ussd will go 100% company own schools soon.

So your instructor will be ......

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The highest rank I saw was Mattera's 8th dan from Prof. Cerio, well I should say I've seen a picture of it, but on Nick Cerio's website Mattera is listed in their black belt lists.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea where Mattera got his 9th dan, could be the same place as Villari. As for the 10th he and Demasco got those at the Shaolin temple in 2000. I don't know what the abbot is doing handing out Japanese ranks, but that's the story.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since this happens to be a thread I started, I have to ask, why is it people always seem to take the low road on these message boards. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that signs onto a message board related to martial arts, knows the story between FV and USSD. Yes, there is some bad blood. Yes, most people deem USSD, and FV for that matter, so-called McDojos. Why don't people start taking the higher road and speak positively about the arts. If you don't like something, that's fine, state it then move on. This argument has gone on long enough. Start your own bashing thread and chip away there. Go back over the same issues, retype all the same arguments, I was there, I lived it, I stayed out of it. If someone states they are happy, let them be. Get on with life, find something positive for a change ... yeah, go ahead, now bash me ... LOL

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not bashing anyone. I have nothing against Villari or his organization. As for ussd, I'm a student of theirs and I think they have some very positive qualities to them, but I'm not blind to the negative either. That being said I'm with ussd by choice.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not bashing anyone. I have nothing against Villari or his organization. As for ussd, I'm a student of theirs and I think they have some very positive qualities to them, but I'm not blind to the negative either. That being said I'm with ussd by choice.

Just for the record, my comments weren't aimed at you Mariachi Joe ...

jenngibbs2000

White Belt
Reaction score
Whether or not USSD teaches an authentic (to the core?) Shaolin system or XYZ system -- I AM STILL LEARNING -- and whatever I am learning is a beautiful, useful tool I am confident will help me defend myself if needed. Self defense aside, I am fascinated by the forms and techniques and greatly enjoy the exercise and flexibility value this art has added to my life.

I could care less where and by whom Mr. Mattera received his 10th -- martial arts has taught me to concern myself with exactly that...MYSELF. As long as I am benefitting from my training, I will stay with USSD.

And by the way, you can't own a USSD studio outright, because years ago when that option was available, too many prople ran them into the red and USSD had to re-purchase them. Simple and effective business 101.

Martial arts and business acumen are not mutually exclusive!

Sorry Kempo 14, didn't mean to re-ignite to furor...how about that Black Tiger 2 kempo? :)

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry Kempo 14, didn't mean to re-ignite to furor

I certainly don't mind people expressing themselves, good or bad. It is those that bring up the same ole topics, same ole arguments, same ole issues ... just come up with something fresh and I'll not complain. Wouldn't it be nice to see martial artists that look for the positive rather than the negative all the time?

I'm with you, I care not where others got there belts. People need to look at the material and decide if it works for them. We are all of different age, height, weight, flexibility and what not ... it matters not what system a person trains in, just train and train in what ever system works for you.

Latest Discussions