New Master's Portraits

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These portraits are fantastic Bob. Surely you are setting up an exhibition? I have not heard you mention it??

I think you encouraging the fight attitude into their faces (really like Guro Steve Scott's demeanour) would bring out their martial qualities in the portraits even more. Your technical skill is evident and but I know portrait photography is not just about the taking of the photos and but getting the subject to pose as you think will work best. I think you are really carving a niche with these portraits. I think since these are very expert fighters, and I know they are not trained to pose and but as a photographer, you encouraging and bringing out their fight attitude as much as your expertise allows in the session would enhance these fantastic portraits even more and but that is just a layperson opinion I am no photographer I hope I am ok to chime in :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you. One of my goals is to try and capture their essence. I think each time I work on one I get a little better at it. One of the hardest parts is the backgrounds as I do those custom for each portrait using a variety of layers, effects and brushes in Photoshop. It's easier when I've seen them move on the floor, harder when I've only talked to them. GM Rick Manglinong for example, I've known for years, talked to him often and seen him on the floor regularly. I'e worked with him personally. So, it's easier for me to say 'Ricks a wizard with moving the stick, but a calm person, rather relaxed and laid back'. His background hopefully reflects that observation. GM Max Pallen is a more colorful person, very warm on the floor, always smiling it seems, outgoing and energetic. Different energy type more radiating. Datu Dieter moved like lightning, high energy, GM Anderson was very excited, again high energy but more transitional. It goes on. :) Most of the time people like them, sometimes I get requests to tweak bits, and we talk and as I get to know them a little bit better, we find ways to improve things.

As to an exhibition, nothing in the works per say, though my work is prominently displayed at Horizon Martial Arts in West Seneca NY. Datu Hartman has many of my portraits on display. :)

And you and everyone is welcome to chime in. Always. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stunning!

I actually like the traditional tint with the color pop. it kind of makes your brain work a little :)

The full color is a bit busy.
(what do you use to shoot large format like this?)

All these were shot using a Canon XSI. The pose, and the lighting are more important than the camera.
Though someday I'll shoot with a Canon 1. :)

Latest Discussions