New karate kid tv series

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only watched the first two episodes but I didn't hear any Korean terms. I wasn't really listening for any, but, as a Taekwondoin, I think my ears would have perked up. Can you give specific examples?

When Johnny calls all his new little Cobra Kais to attention, he says "chari-yut."

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I heard it's pretty good. I'll definitely watch it. Regardless of Macchio's poor acting, I still quite enjoyed the movie. :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard it's pretty good. I'll definitely watch it. Regardless of Macchio's poor acting, I still quite enjoyed the movie. :)

Yeah, I've never been one to let weak acting ruin a movie. Give me a halfway interesting story (or really good action scenes), and I'll forgive moderately bad acting. (As long as it all doesn't come together to be as bad as Face Off.)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Macchio just annoys me. Not to the extent of making everything he’s in unwatchable though.

Karate Kid works for me because everyone else balances it out. Same for My Cousin Vinny.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Macchio just annoys me. Not to the extent of making everything he’s in unwatchable though.

Karate Kid works for me because everyone else balances it out. Same for My Cousin Vinny.
Macchio annoyed me too! Lol. I liked William's character much more. I feel like he portrayed a more genuine karate talent than Ralph in the movie.

Is William a real karate practitioner? He looks the part. :)

I saw the new series today, watched the first episode & I loved it! What makes it really special is the fact that all the original actors are casted in the series. It wouldn't have been the same if other actors were used. They all aged very gracefully. :)

The series has a 92% rating, which is excellent.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally watched the two free episodes, really cool, loved it :). Few corny bits haha (i did groan with the Larusso commercials and his karate banter with EVERYONE haha) but I just love it all being brought back years later, and an intriguing story too.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finally watched the two free episodes, really cool, loved it :). Few corny bits haha (i did groan with the Larusso commercials and his karate banter with EVERYONE haha) but I just love it all being brought back years later, and an intriguing story too.
I thought the rest of the episodes cut down on the corny bits. Not completely, but enough to not get tiring.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

My understanding is that he has a black belt in Tang Soo Do, but if I recall correctly he didn't get this until after the old movies.

That almost makes sense, since John Kreese was supposedly a Vietnam vet. TKD was introduced to Vietnam during that era by GM Nam Tae Hi at about that time.Given the connection between TSD and TKD, it makes more sense than a lot of Hollywood for Cobrai Kai to be based on TSD.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My understanding is that he has a black belt in Tang Soo Do, but if I recall correctly he didn't get this until after the old movies.

That almost makes sense, since John Kreese was supposedly a Vietnam vet. TKD was introduced to Vietnam during that era by GM Nam Tae Hi at about that time.Given the connection between TSD and TKD, it makes more sense than a lot of Hollywood for Cobrai Kai to be based on TSD.
From the trivia I’ve read, Zabka was a high school wrestler before the movie. He was a good athlete and picked up the MA training for the movie pretty well. He studied TSD afterwards because MA grew on him.

Macchio didn’t do any training afterwards. He doesn’t appear to be a very good athlete with the training for the movies and show :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the trivia I’ve read, Zabka was a high school wrestler before the movie. He was a good athlete and picked up the MA training for the movie pretty well. He studied TSD afterwards because MA grew on him.

Macchio didn’t do any training afterwards. He doesn’t appear to be a very good athlete with the training for the movies and show :)
Which makes sense. In the show it felt kind of like Macchio was play-acting martial arts, and I didn't get the same vibe from Zabka. Thought it might have been intentional to show that Daniel hasn't practiced in a very long time (until the show)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which makes sense. In the show it felt kind of like Macchio was play-acting martial arts, and I didn't get the same vibe from Zabka. Thought it might have been intentional to show that Daniel hasn't practiced in a very long time (until the show)
He pretty much sucked in the original movies as well. He just didn’t and still doesn’t move very gracefully nor naturally. I don’t think he was picked because he was a good athlete; I think he was picked for his personality (if that makes sense). Zabka seems like a no brainer from an acting AND athletic standpoint.

All IMO.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He pretty much sucked in the original movies as well. He just didn’t and still doesn’t move very gracefully nor naturally. I don’t think he was picked because he was a good athlete; I think he was picked for his personality (if that makes sense). Zabka seems like a no brainer from an acting AND athletic standpoint.

All IMO.
When I first watched it, I was 5...not the best at discerning who is a better athlete.

They may have cast him for that role specifically because he's not graceful...It makes it all the more impressive when the one who doesn't look graceful or athletic beats the person who does.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first watched it, I was 5...not the best at discerning who is a better athlete.

They may have cast him for that role specifically because he's not graceful...It makes it all the more impressive when the one who doesn't look graceful or athletic beats the person who does.
Yeah, I think that might have been a purposeful choice.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Macchio annoyed me too! Lol. I liked William's character much more. I feel like he portrayed a more genuine karate talent than Ralph in the movie.

I saw the new series today, watched the first episode & I loved it! What makes it really special is the fact that all the original actors are casted in the series. It wouldn't have been the same if other actors were used. They all aged very gracefully. :)

The series has a 92% rating, which is excellent.

No he had no martial art experience before the movie apart from wrestling in school but I read somewhere he carried on for a while and got to green belt then quit

Latest Discussions