New karate kid tv series

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Spoiler free

I really liked the series, it was more so geared towards an adult audience, which I liked. The fight scenes were decent and the character dynamics were well written/executed.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spoiler free

I really liked the series, it was more so geared towards an adult audience, which I liked. The fight scenes were decent and the character dynamics were well written/executed.
As I said before I don't believe the original was a kids movie. I mean it had bad language and quite violent scenes in some cases and some mature themes throughout

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I watched it and it was great. Apparently Tang Soo Do is what the Cobra Kai Dojo teaches. And Martin Kove has studied Goju Ryu

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I watched it and it was great. Apparently Tang Soo Do is what the Cobra Kai Dojo teaches. And Martin Kove has studied Goju Ryu

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's Hollywood fu...there's nothing in any of the fights or the training that indicates any paticular. Obviously it's karate but they show generic moved that could fall under any karate style

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's Hollywood fu...there's nothing in any of the fights or the training that indicates any paticular. Obviously it's karate but they show generic moved that could fall under any karate style
I think what he was referring to is an interview sometime back with Pat Johnson, who choreographed the fight scenes for the movie and trained both the Cobra Kai guys, and Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio. Johnson said he loosely based the Cobra Kai on the Tang Soo Do he and Chuck Norris taught in SoCal in the early 1970s. Apparently, Norris was offered the job playing Sensei Kreese, but turned down the part because he thought it cast Martial Arts in a negative light.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think what he was referring to is an interview sometime back with Pat Johnson, who choreographed the fight scenes for the movie and trained both the Cobra Kai guys, and Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio. Johnson said he loosely based the Cobra Kai on the Tang Soo Do he and Chuck Norris taught in SoCal in the early 1970s. Apparently, Norris was offered the job playing Sensei Kreese, but turned down the part because he thought it cast Martial Arts in a negative light.
Yeah but as far as I know pat Johnson had nothing to do with cobra Kai and Nah the chuck Norris story is bs chuck confirmed he was never offered the part but he said if he had been he would've turned it down for similar reasons

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but as far as I know pat Johnson had nothing to do with cobra Kai and Nah the chuck Norris story is bs chuck confirmed he was never offered the part but he said if he had been he would've turned it down for similar reasons
I said Pat Johnson worked on Karate Kid. And he did.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said Pat Johnson worked on Karate Kid. And he did.
Yes he did but he didn't work on the series...hence it was a different choreographer hence probably a different style

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but this looks terrible. Bad acting, bad choreography, and a storyline that sounds like it was written by the screenwriter for twilight.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They yet again butchered an Okinawa karate kata Seiunchin. The same one they butchered in Karate Kid 3. It makes my eyes hurt the way they do it.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I said before I don't believe the original was a kids movie. I mean it had bad language and quite violent scenes in some cases and some mature themes throughout

The "violence" is on par with the original, but the language and jokes are much more adult. Johnny said p***y a few dozen times and there was at least one F bomb. Not saying it detracts from the series, but there's definitely a more adult focus.

"More adult" doesn't imply the original is a kid's movie, it's referring to a rating gradient.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I only watched the first couple episodes of the new series so far, and my memories of the movies are pretty hazy, but I did notice Johnny using Korean terminology, which would seem to indicate a basis in TSD over a Japanese karate style.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol never seen this before but realised before this we've never seen Mr miyagi in a gi before. Have to say though will smith acting really made me cringe but pat was hilarious with the segal joke and the "what the heck happened to my coffee table"

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I only watched the first couple episodes of the new series so far, and my memories of the movies are pretty hazy, but I did notice Johnny using Korean terminology, which would seem to indicate a basis in TSD over a Japanese karate style.
I've only watched the first two episodes but I didn't hear any Korean terms. I wasn't really listening for any, but, as a Taekwondoin, I think my ears would have perked up. Can you give specific examples?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've only watched the first two episodes and I didn't hear any Korean terms. I wasn't really listening for any, but, as a Taekwondoin, I think my ears would have perked up. Can you give specific examples?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I haven't seen much apart from a few clips byt most of the terms I've heard are only Japanese terms e.g sensei, dojo, kata etc

Latest Discussions