New karate kid tv series

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently Macchio and Zabka went to my organization’s honbu (headquarters) dojo for a photo shoot. No idea of specifics. I don’t have Facebook; a classmate showed us and we all got a kick out of it (no pun intended).

I said if they’re using us in the series, we’d better be Cobra Kai.

World Seido Karate Headquarters - Honbu

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently Macchio and Zabka went to my organization’s honbu (headquarters) dojo for a photo shoot. No idea of specifics. I don’t have Facebook; a classmate showed us and we all got a kick out of it (no pun intended).

I said if they’re using us in the series, we’d better be Cobra Kai.

World Seido Karate Headquarters - Honbu
Oh that is so badass... :D

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first 2 episodes are now on YouTube for free. It's quite good actually the fight scene between Johnny and the thugs was pretty well done tbh.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first 2 episodes are now on YouTube for free. It's quite good actually the fight scene between Johnny and the thugs was pretty well done tbh.
:O :O :O

That is amazing... thanks heaps for letting us know! I am so on it!

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
:O :O :O

That is amazing... thanks heaps for letting us know! I am so on it!
Just read a review on it. Typical complaints of sexism and racism...abd yeah there's elements of that from Johnny but that's the point the guys meant to be a throwback old school jerk

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Old school jerk, maybe, but you still have to feel for the guy. Yes, he was a jerk in high school, but his life has been one disappointment after another, starting with his humiliating loss to martial arts novice Daniel Larusso in the All Valley Karate Tournament way back in 1984, followed by an equally humiliating beatdown after the tournament by Sensei Kreese, only to be humiliated again by getting saved by Mr. Miyagi. And now, the man who humiliated him 34 years ago stares down at him from giant billboards all over the Valley. Or torments him when he wants to listen to some 80s rock, or rawk, on radio ads.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are all episodes up, or only a couple? I’m holding out for all of them so I can free trial and be done. Yes, I’m cheap.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old school jerk, maybe, but you still have to feel for the guy. Yes, he was a jerk in high school, but his life has been one disappointment after another, starting with his humiliating loss to martial arts novice Daniel Larusso in the All Valley Karate Tournament way back in 1984, followed by an equally humiliating beatdown after the tournament by Sensei Kreese, only to be humiliated again by getting saved by Mr. Miyagi. And now, the man who humiliated him 34 years ago stares down at him from giant billboards all over the Valley. Or torments him when he wants to listen to some 80s rock, or rawk, on radio ads.

I see it differently...
Johnny was a rich entitled prick who was handed stuff that most of us had to work for. He got his *** kicked one time (who hasn't?) and turned into an alcoholic prick, who at least had a good paying job (I had to hire a guy to wire my house when we put in a hot tub... that job pays really well...) except he was a douche nozzle to a customer (who was also obnoxious - maybe they should have hooked up). And such a stellar father...

Daniel has lost some of his likability (he's a car salesman at heart, even if he does own the places, and car salesmen always have a bit of a slimy feel to them...) but he's clearly done well for himself - I doubt anybody handed him the deeds to those car dealerships. He's quite well off, but is involved in his kids lives and is at least trying to both support them and keep them from turning into entitled pricks (with mixed results, I think...).

I suspect as the series progresses, they're going to try to rehab Johnny and turn him into at least a semi-decent guy.

Are all episodes up, or only a couple? I’m holding out for all of them so I can free trial and be done. Yes, I’m cheap.

Red is like Netflix; the whole series goes online at the same time. I've only watched the first two, which are on regular YouBoob, but I'll probably either free trial and watch them all, or find them on Kody.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think they will be because there's videos for them but when you click on them they just show previews for that episode but the times are all half an hour which is not he time of the clip so I'm guessing they'll benreleased weekly

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see it differently...
Johnny was a rich entitled prick who was handed stuff that most of us had to work for. He got his *** kicked one time (who hasn't?) and turned into an alcoholic prick, who at least had a good paying job (I had to hire a guy to wire my house when we put in a hot tub... that job pays really well...) except he was a douche nozzle to a customer (who was also obnoxious - maybe they should have hooked up). And such a stellar father...

Daniel has lost some of his likability (he's a car salesman at heart, even if he does own the places, and car salesmen always have a bit of a slimy feel to them...) but he's clearly done well for himself - I doubt anybody handed him the deeds to those car dealerships. He's quite well off, but is involved in his kids lives and is at least trying to both support them and keep them from turning into entitled pricks (with mixed results, I think...).

I suspect as the series progresses, they're going to try to rehab Johnny and turn him into at least a semi-decent guy.

Red is like Netflix; the whole series goes online at the same time. I've only watched the first two, which are on regular YouBoob, but I'll probably either free trial and watch them all, or find them on Kody.
Exactly I always see that crap that johnnys a good guy.....well no he isn't the whole Daniel thing started because he was being borderline abusive to his ex girlfriend. Then okay the fight happened which yeah okay Daniel instigated more but hey just a schoolboy fight but the next day him and his mates bully him on the football pitch then forced him off the road on his bike because he turned up to their karate club.

If people think Johnny was a good guy they need to seriously reevaluate their own morals. Even in the series from what I've seen he's still a jerk he hasn't learned anything and he's all upset over a silly thing like a point karate match over 30 years ago

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly I always see that crap that johnnys a good guy.....well no he isn't the whole Daniel thing started because he was being borderline abusive to his ex girlfriend. Then okay the fight happened which yeah okay Daniel instigated more but hey just a schoolboy fight but the next day him and his mates bully him on the football pitch then forced him off the road on his bike because he turned up to their karate club.

If people think Johnny was a good guy they need to seriously reevaluate their own morals. Even in the series from what I've seen he's still a jerk he hasn't learned anything and he's all upset over a silly thing like a point karate match over 30 years ago
I can't believe people are micro ANAlysing a kids film, are we doing Snow white next?

Surely Johnny can be forgiven for being a bit of an *** d as a teenager, , I thinK that's most teenagers, does he have to suffer for a life time to make you all feel that justice was done

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't believe people are micro ANAlysing a kids film, are we doing Snow white next?

Surely Johnny can be forgiven for being a bit of an *** d as a teenager, , I thing that's most teenagers, does he have to suffer for a life time
Sure why not nothing better to do at the moment....I can't believe someone's complaining about people having a discussion over a movie which relates real life but there you go

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure why not nothing better to do at the moment....I can't believe someone's complaining about people having a discussion over a movie which relates real life but there you go
Which Bit was in anyway like real life,
Apart from the creepy old man luring a young boy to his house, in real life the police would have been found to Warnn him off, possibly an injunction

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which Bit was in anyway like real life,
Apart from the creepy old man luring a young boy to his house, in real life the police would have been found to Warnn him off, possibly an injunction
So now you're doing exactly what you were just bitching about...makes sense whatever I'm done here

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Surely Johnny can be forgiven for being a bit of an *** d as a teenager, , I thinK that's most teenagers, does he have to suffer for a life time to make you all feel that justice was done
Yeah, most of us managed to be assholes when we were young - some more than others. And that can be forgiven when they grow up, unless they just don't.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So now you're doing exactly what you were just bitching about...makes sense whatever I'm done here
I was being tongue in cheek, if you want to discuss kids films carry on, don't get huffy, my favourIte AS a young boy was Dr Doolittle, the original you under stand as I'm old, that giant sea snail had a deep meaning for real life, I have no idea what , but I'm sure it did

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they will be because there's videos for them but when you click on them they just show previews for that episode but the times are all half an hour which is not he time of the clip so I'm guessing they'll benreleased weekly

Nope. They're all online. But unless you pay for YouTube Red (or sign up for the free trial month) you'll only be able to see the first two episodes. Because profits.

Depends on if he ever grows out of the douchebag stage. Most do. Some don't. In my experience, it's not uncommon for those who do not to continue to suffer from poor life choices. Some bury themselves in substance abuse. Some go to prison. Some become internet trolls. Some live in their parents basements and live on Cheetos and soda.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I see it differently...

Yes, Mixed results. Daniel seems a little too smug, and when he smirks and tells his underlings how he kicked Johnny in the face, I thought for a minute Johnny would kick Daniel's *** right then and there.

As for Johnny, the character he played in the original movie was a cardboard cutout rich entitled prick, not unlike the character played by Michael Bowen in the movie Valley Girl from the same era. (he is better known for his role as Aryan Nation leader Uncle Jack in Breaking Bad) . That said, from the looks of things, the writers of Cobra Kai look to give this version of Johnny more depth than the younger version of Johnny.

Latest Discussions