New karate kid tv series

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In the movie, Daniel does make reference to having done some classes at the Y, as well as trying to use a book (which wasn't working too well, which is pretty realistic...).

My brother tried the self taught method of martial arts training in high school. Many years later, he went to a TKD studio and earned a black belt.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother tried the self taught method of martial arts training in high school. Many years later, he went to a TKD studio and earned a black belt.

Yeah. Doesn't really work. Especially from a book, which cannot show the body mechanics involved. Video is better, but still really best suited to the role of a supplement to a decent teacher.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. Doesn't really work. Especially from a book, which cannot show the body mechanics involved. Video is better, but still really best suited to the role of a supplement to a decent teacher.

You need a teacher to correct mistakes (we all make them), and you need training partners. I think one of the reasons I quit training towards the end of high school was my training partner of two years injured his foot, and dropped out. As I said, for 2 years, we practiced together in the dojang, and out. I haven't thought of this for awhile, but I think when he quit, I felt the loss. It isn't that there weren't other people at the gym to work out with, but when my friend went, there was always someone at about the same level as me to practice with, and after his departure, that was not always the case anymore.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a teacher to correct mistakes (we all make them), and you need training partners. I think one of the reasons I quit training towards the end of high school was my training partner of two years injured his foot, and dropped out. As I said, for 2 years, we practiced together in the dojang, and out. I haven't thought of this for awhile, but I think when he quit, I felt the loss. It isn't that there weren't other people at the gym to work out with, but when my friend went, there was always someone at about the same level as me to practice with, and after his departure, that was not always the case anymore.
There's a fair amount of evidence that we stick to things much better (diet, exercise, training) when we do them with someone. Your friend filled that role for you, and when he wasn't there, the routine was broken, which made it less the same to you and easier to break the habit.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought Cobra Kai focused on a sensi who had questionable ethics and morals. He used his brand of martial arts to create bullies. Or at least it seemed that way from the outside. Johnny was the perfect nemesis. But the Karate Kid is more of a coming of age take about being the new kid and trying to fit in.

While the Cobra Kai sensi was ruthless in the tournament we saw that his students just wanted learn and were following his bad example.

Daniel didn't know what Myagi was teaching him was practical karate. He thought it was just chores until Myagi finally quizzed him and he realized it. But Daniel still had a confidence problem because he still wanted to fit in and didn't know when to fight. That's why he needed guidance.

I'll watch Cobra Kai. It'll be interesting to see things from Johnny's perspective.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently rewatched 2 and 3 and both are good films. I do like 3 Thomas Ian griffin is a good actor and a great martial artist and he did a good job as a villain. The last fight was terrible and it should've been a more back and forth fight. The same stuff could've happened e.g Barnes using dirty fighting to hurt him but at least let Daniel get a few points himself apart from a chop to the stomach. Oh and completely get rid of that kata in the ring.

Also the order should've been swapped. 3 should've been the second movie and 2 should've been the third.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So... you were his first instructor? Very cool!
Yeah and Daniel thinks he's rubbish remember this line

Daniel: I gotta take karate
Mum: you took karate
Daniel: no not at the Y at a good school

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah and Daniel thinks he's rubbish remember this line

Daniel: I gotta take karate
Mum: you took karate
Daniel: no not at the Y at a good school

Couldn't be me then... our students love me. Or at least, I'm going to keep telling myself they do. So there.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whilst we're on the general subject, has anyone seen the one after number 3, The Next Karate Kid, with Hilary Swank? I haven't yet seen it, any good?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whilst we're on the general subject, has anyone seen the one after number 3, The Next Karate Kid, with Hilary Swank? I haven't yet seen it, any good?

Erm...

Well...

I've seen worse.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, it's not as bad as Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, then?

If you're starting comparisons, I'll do a scale, best (on the list, not best of all time) at the top, worst below.

LOTR/The Hobbit
Matrix/Blade
I bought a vampire motorcycle
Attack of the killer tomatoes
The next Karate Kid
Some strange thing that I think was about a stealth bomber pilot that felt like 14 hours of a bloke in a white room talking to himself, interspersed with random 5 second flight clips, iirc it ended with him wondering if he was God
Sideways

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
'Nuff said XD. I'll probably have to watch it now anyway XD
Honestly i like it way more than the third. It's an original story with decent characters and it shows a different side to miyagi. Also it's actually got some decent training scenes. To me it's no worse than any of the others

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It has Hillary Swank...

Story is closer to "the true purpose" of martial arts, I suppose. It's watchable.

Latest Discussions