New karate kid tv series

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The nostalgia in me loves all the KK movies, but the martial artist in me gets irritated to see a kid train after school for a few months, has a couple fights, and basically ends up (or is considered) the equivalent of a red / brown / black belt. All teenage martial arts movies seem to follow that same silly plot device though. You add the cultural phenomenon of local McDojos that crank out 10 year old black belts, and people start believing that anyone who trains in a martial art for years should be a "black belt" or equivalent and it just doesn't compute to people that the journey to real martial skill is LONG and HARD.

Don't mean to derail - I will totally watch this when it is out, bad acting or outdated karate culture aside:)

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The nostalgia in me loves all the KK movies, but the martial artist in me gets irritated to see a kid train after school for a few months, has a couple fights, and basically ends up (or is considered) the equivalent of a red / brown / black belt. All teenage martial arts movies seem to follow that same silly plot device though. You add the cultural phenomenon of local McDojos that crank out 10 year old black belts, and people start believing that anyone who trains in a martial art for years should be a "black belt" or equivalent and it just doesn't compute to people that the journey to real martial skill is LONG and HARD.

Don't mean to derail - I will totally watch this when it is out, bad acting or outdated karate culture aside:)
You remind me of a guy I train with. We were somehow talking about Karate Kid. He says to me “I was training in Kyokushin when I first saw that movie. All I could think when I walked out of the theater was ‘what a load of crap.’”

I was in 3rd grade or so and not training any karate at the time, so my perspective was a bit different :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I had just started training Judo when it came out, maybe into my second foray into Karate, as well. I probably still thought that was how it worked.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read it somewhere that ralph attitude in real live should mark him as bad guy.
New guy come to the neighborhood, steal your girlfriend, and in the end beat you in the competition...

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk
Probably referring to this video:

Daniel is a bully and picks every fight in the movie while Johnny shows as much restraint as a teenager can be expected to; while kicking Daniel's butt and generally humiliating him, shows restraint in not seriously injuring Daniel despite the fact that he obviously can at any time he wishes.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Daniel is a bully and picks every fight in the movie while Johnny shows as much restraint as a teenager can be expected to; while kicking Daniel's butt and generally humiliating him, shows restraint in not seriously injuring Daniel despite the fact that he obviously can at any time he wishes.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
So forcing a guy off his push bike on his motorbike down a hill and could've caused fatal injuries also beating same guy to an inch of his life while having his friends hold him and would've killed him with a flying kick is showing restraint? Plus harassing a girl and damaging her property?

I honestly hate that argument and its disgusting because people actually think those actions are good

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well it'd be a rubbish movie if it was realistic its the same with all sport movies. Personally I don't mind it at all. Of course it's silly but it's a movie at the end of the day

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So forcing a guy off his push bike on his motorbike down a hill and could've caused fatal injuries also beating same guy to an inch of his life while having his friends hold him and would've killed him with a flying kick is showing restraint? Plus harassing a girl and damaging her property?

I honestly hate that argument and its disgusting because people actually think those actions are good
Go argue with the video, not me. I'm just reporting it, not supporting it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I’ll let you in on a secret... it’s a joke.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh, I can buy that with focused, dedicated training, especially 1-on-1, a student can compete and even win a tournament or other specific event after only several months of training. Daniel was training to fight -- not training the whole art, and we can presume that he trained most days for several hours a day. Do I buy into the wax-on-wax-off, paint the fence as a magic shortcut? Not really. It might ingrain the motion -- but not the context, and that matters. Realistically, with 2 or 3 months focused training aimed solely at preparing someone to fight matches, rather than philosophy, principles, "whys" --- would someone win a tournament? Probably not. Put on a credible showing? Sure. And if he's doing well enough, and some of the Cobra Kai fighters start taking dives... maybe he makes it to the finals, with a few lucky breaks.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
3 really sucked. And his Seiunchin kata is a complete hack job :) And his bunkai of it at the end of the match was so much worse.

1 and 2 were great. I’ve got them on Amazon instant video and watch them at least every few months. 3’s just brutal. Watched it once or twice back in the day. Fortunately, it didn’t kill the first two.

1 and 2 are good but 3 is poor. The story is good but its like he's forgotten every bit of karate he ever learned and don't even get me started on the last fight

Hehe I actually loved the 3rd to be honest :). I thought it was honest, in that it showed that the martial artist isn't perfect and isn't always going to be a 100% infallible human being. It showed how Daniel really lost his way, forgot what martial arts was all about, forgot everything he learned to pursue glory, revenge, and what was fed to him what martial arts was (by the ponytail dude), which you do see happen in martial arts circles. I reckon it brought Daniel (-san) to true vulnerability, honesty and real humility.

Yeah I dunno, I don't think it was really showing his fast path to it or displaying unrealistic expectations, but moreso it was emphasising that under the right tutelage, attitude and willingness to learn, that you improve and progress better. You could even see that Mr Miyagi didn't even care about rank either hehe

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hehe I actually loved the 3rd to be honest :). I thought it was honest, in that it showed that the martial artist isn't perfect and isn't always going to be a 100% infallible human being. It showed how Daniel really lost his way, forgot what martial arts was all about, forgot everything he learned to pursue glory, revenge, and what was fed to him what martial arts was (by the ponytail dude), which you do see happen in martial arts circles. I reckon it brought Daniel (-san) to true vulnerability, honesty and real humility.

Yeah I dunno, I don't think it was really showing his fast path to it or displaying unrealistic expectations, but moreso it was emphasising that under the right tutelage, attitude and willingness to learn, that you improve and progress better. You could even see that Mr Miyagi didn't even care about rank either hehe
He didnt just forget what martial arts is about he simply forgot martial arts. The previous film he won a fight to the death with the top fighter in Okinawa and now he's scared of some punk kid and can't do a thing to him apart from one chop to the stomach. The overall story was good enough but the actual martial arts were terrible. The second movie probably had the best fight scenes and the first the best story

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I agree. Pure Hollywood, and in this case because the movies is an 80s movie, it just takes a couple of training montages and boom, Daniel is fighting at a black belt level. It really owes a lot to the Rocky movies in this regard. But at least in Rocky, the hero was already a boxer. It isn't as if he was a mob enforcer who goes toe to toe with Creed after just a couple of months of training.

So if we were concerned with realism, you could have built in a back story where Daniel had trained for several years back in New Jersey and Miyagi's unorthodox training methods help him to fine tune some skills that were either rusty, or maybe just misapplied.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I have seen these types of videos on youtube and while I understand they are tongue in cheek, there is an aspect to Daniel's character that actually is kind of jerky. In real life, he probably would get his *** kicked, and maybe deservedly for pulling some of what he pulled.

But the reason the movie works is, there are more Daniel Larussos out there than Johnny Lawrences. And most Daniel Larusso type guys would let things go and resent being cowards. In Karate Kid, weak kid stands up to the rich, popular douche, steals his girlfriend, and kicks his ***. Karate was just the backdrop. The exact same thing happens in the movie Valley Girl, where a young Nicholas Cage does the exact same thing to a blond haired martial artist douche bag played by Michael Bowen. (Uncle Jack from Breaking Bad, and Buck from Kill Bill.)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Pure Hollywood, and in this case because the movies is an 80s movie, it just takes a couple of training montages and boom, Daniel is fighting at a black belt level. It really owes a lot to the Rocky movies in this regard. But at least in Rocky, the hero was already a boxer. It isn't as if he was a mob enforcer who goes toe to toe with Creed after just a couple of months of training.

So if we were concerned with realism, you could have built in a back story where Daniel had trained for several years back in New Jersey and Miyagi's unorthodox training methods help him to fine tune some skills that were either rusty, or maybe just misapplied.

In the movie, Daniel does make reference to having done some classes at the Y, as well as trying to use a book (which wasn't working too well, which is pretty realistic...).

Latest Discussions