New interview with Rickson Gracie by Matt Thornton of Straight Blast Gym

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely worth your time. Matt never pulls his punches in terms of his opinion on the martial arts, and he has the cred to back up his claims. His story at the very beginning alone about watching Rickson train with a bunch of Judo Black Belts is worth the watch.

Enjoy!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Will have to watch that at home.

Mat Thornton is very bjjy anyway though?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean on that one. Matt Thornton is a Black Belt in BJJ under Chris Haueter.

Well yeah I would consider that pretty bjjy.

You get your validation from your training pretty much. So you discuss BJJ with BJJ guys it becomes different to when you discuss it with wrestlers or strikers.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well yeah I would consider that pretty bjjy.

You get your validation from your training pretty much. So you discuss BJJ with BJJ guys it becomes different to when you discuss it with wrestlers or strikers.

I see. Well, Thornton was a JKD guy long before he got into BJJ, hence the name of his place "Straight Blast Gym". He also does boxing, MT, etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see. Well, Thornton was a JKD guy long before he got into BJJ, hence the name of his place "Straight Blast Gym". He also does boxing, MT, etc.
I think DB's point is that someone with extensive training in BJJ is less likely to be skeptical or hard-hitting in an interview with Rickson Gracie. They've already decided their view (bias), hence their continued training in that art. It's not a condemnation, rather just something to be aware of. If the same interviewer had extensive wrestling and little BJJ, you might (or might not) find a different approach in his interview.

To be clear, I don't see his comment as any kind of comment about BJJ. The same would be true if you swapped "BJJ" and "wrestling" in my post, and replaced Rickson with someone well-known in the wrestling community.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think DB's point is that someone with extensive training in BJJ is less likely to be skeptical or hard-hitting in an interview with Rickson Gracie. They've already decided their view (bias), hence their continued training in that art. It's not a condemnation, rather just something to be aware of. If the same interviewer had extensive wrestling and little BJJ, you might (or might not) find a different approach in his interview.

To be clear, I don't see his comment as any kind of comment about BJJ. The same would be true if you swapped "BJJ" and "wrestling" in my post, and replaced Rickson with someone well-known in the wrestling community.

Well, he actually does have a significant background in wrestling as well. :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good interview, I thought.

Where I teach, the hosting guy is a BJJ guy under Rilion Gracie... not sure what the familial relationship between Rickson and Rilion is. Seems to be a Lot of Gracie brothers and cousins, though.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good interview, I thought.

Where I teach, the hosting guy is a BJJ guy under Rilion Gracie... not sure what the familial relationship between Rickson and Rilion is. Seems to be a Lot of Gracie brothers and cousins, though.

He's one of Carlos Sr's sons and I believe is one of the founders of Gracie Barra.

Latest Discussions