New instructor dealing with antsy kids

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m looking for a little advice. I took over a well-established taekwondo program a few months ago. I’d taught at the school occasionally before, but this new role has presented some issues. A few background things — it’s almost completely recreational, though some students compete in local tournaments. There are about 100 students, 50 are regular, most only come once/week (even though we offer classes 3x/week). Almost all are kids, though a few parents participate also. There are three other instructors beside myself. And a couple of our black belt teens help regularly. Also, maybe part of the problem is I’m just getting used to working with kids (I train at an all-adult dojang.)

The issue that troubles me is that the kids clamor to be allowed to test, even when they know they are not ready. (Our testings are held at the grandmasterÂ’s dojang where I train, and we make a big deal out of it.) I absolutely refuse to send someone to test if IÂ’m not positive they will pass. But IÂ’ve had a handful of people quit after I told them they werenÂ’t ready and explained what they need to improve. Even though we have rules spelled out about how long they have to wait in-between testings, they seem to forget that theyÂ’re expected to come twice a week if they want to work in that timeframe. Not that they just have to show up and be there for that amount of time, they have to have the skills, but the timeframe gives them an idea of how long the average student ought to take. But they donÂ’t seem to care that they only come once a week, not twice or more! IÂ’ve tried talking to them, both individually, in groups, and with their parents, but they seem to think that I owe them for their bit of time and if they can pay they can test. :( They get all sulky when I explain what they need to do.

Some of my martial arts colleagues advise me to be patient; eventually IÂ’ll have students that are truly mine, not my predecessors, and theyÂ’ll not argue against my authority. But I donÂ’t want students to miss out on taekwondo just because of this.

An alternative I though of would be to expand our stripe program. Currently it’s only used for the very little kids. They get put through a mini-testing every other month to earn colored stripes for different sets of skills. I think it might work for all of the low-ranks. Maybe for the first 4 belts or so. I think it would give those students more goals to meet than just “I wanna test,” and it will also communicate to them what skills they need to work on more. I hope it would solve the problem of them getting antsy and feeling like they aren’t getting anywhere when I’m trying to get them to build a solid foundation.

Does anyone have experience with doing a stripes program like that? How did it work? IÂ’d just do it in class, but itÂ’s really hard to watch 15 yellow belts under the age of 10 all at once. :erg: So I think it would be better for me to do a semi-formal mini-test. IÂ’m inexperienced, I know. IÂ’m just trying to do my best. Hopefully, eventually, IÂ’ll get the knack of everything. I appreciate any advice you can offer!

G

Gary Crawford

I wouldn't do the stripes program. Stick to what you are doing by continue to explain what " eligible" means. I know parents can try to push you into testing before their "little darling" is ready,but you can always go ahead and test them with a big warning " Your child WILL fail if he/she doesn't wait and you WILL NOT get a refund of testing fees". Explain that YOUR reputation will be damaged if you promote anyone who's skills are not worthy and early promotion just makes further learning more difficult for the student.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People who quit the first time they don't get what they want may not be the students you want to teach. The kids are testing your authority. Stand firm, offer extra help, if possible, and most of them will come around.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been in a similar situation. I took over a recreational "sub program" under my master's dojang. What others have told you is right - be patient and you have students that are yours, but that's besides the point.

My advice with the parents is to get a little political. You can be blunt which is the ideal thing for us to do, but plenty of parents will find a reason to get upset about it. You can try a line like, "I know the last thing you would want for your son is to have him test when he's not ready and give him a false sense of accomplishment."
Make the parents think it was their idea to get them on your side. If you have the parents rooting for you, those kids aren't going anywhere.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stay the course you have and keep reminding the parents and student you are going to give them the best you have to offer. Things maybe a little difference from the previous instructor but in the end they all will be a better person as well as a martial artist.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
New brooms sweep well, as the German proverb goes.

You have to establish yourself as the one.

Set your rules, and enforce them.

Naturally you will lose some of the enherited students, but a lot of them would probably leave anyhow.

A friend of mine bought a school from her instructor. The location has never been known for the sharpest bunch but they had gone through a few changes in leadership before she took the helm.

One night she told me she got so fed up with the lack of discipline, she lined them up well before end of class, bowed them out and told them to leave.

next class they had renewed respect.

As for the skipping class, we have a minimum amount we have to log in every cycle, easily achieved by showing up 2-3 times a week. We keep track of it on cards we keep at the dojang. You could also put some poster board up and have each student track their attendance on there with a stamp or something.

It's a nice visual for everybody to see and they can't claim they worked out when they didn't.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Offer to test anyone who ask, but let them know if they do not pass they will be demoted on the spot. Cuts out a lot of the request for promotion.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did something similar 20+ years ago when i took over the school. We have a well defined syllabus. But the kids could not seem to grasp an entire Gup curriculm to test at 3 month intervals and for a kid, 6 months is an eternity. Took the existing Gup requirement sheet (Do you have these?) and took half the items and put them in Bold face and underlined them . These were the more foundational items or things that took longer to learn. Then after 3 months they tested on these items only and need to be modestly proficient and were promoted a half Gup level. The following test included all items and they needed to be better on the earlier stuff as well as doing all the addittional stuff on the sheet.

After each promo the studnts get asheet for their new requirements. One month before the test they are encouraged to review their sheets and ask for help any any items they need help on for the upcoming test.

This very same form is used for grading at the test. It can also be used as a checkoff of minimum proficiency for permission to test if ou ahave the time and resources to do this.

OP
S

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't do the stripes program. Stick to what you are doing by continue to explain what " eligible" means. I know parents can try to push you into testing before their "little darling" is ready,but you can always go ahead and test them with a big warning " Your child WILL fail if he/she doesn't wait and you WILL NOT get a refund of testing fees". Explain that YOUR reputation will be damaged if you promote anyone who's skills are not worthy and early promotion just makes further learning more difficult for the student.

I do try to communicate what's expected. But an example &#8212; even the kids that haven't memorized their forms (let alone managed to do them decently) think they're ready to test, until I actually ask them if they know their forms, they they will acknowledge that they don't, and maybe such-and-such could be better, too. First I thought of just using a paper checklist, but then they don't have much of a reminder of what they need to work on. I think part of my trouble is that kids just think differently than adults... I don't know how to communicate with them properly maybe?

A friend of mine bought a school from her instructor. The location has never been known for the sharpest bunch but they had gone through a few changes in leadership before she took the helm.

One night she told me she got so fed up with the lack of discipline, she lined them up well before end of class, bowed them out and told them to leave.

next class they had renewed respect

I hope I never run into a problem that pushups or the pok-gyeok can't solve ;)

As for the skipping class, we have a minimum amount we have to log in every cycle, easily achieved by showing up 2-3 times a week. We keep track of it on cards we keep at the dojang. You could also put some poster board up and have each student track their attendance on there with a stamp or something.

It's a nice visual for everybody to see and they can't claim they worked out when they didn't.

The program runs through the parks department, and they handle registration. They have it set up so you sign up for each day. So some students just sign up and come one day per week. And I keep attendance on a chart.

Did something similar 20+ years ago when i took over the school. We have a well defined syllabus. But the kids could not seem to grasp an entire Gup curriculm to test at 3 month intervals and for a kid, 6 months is an eternity. Took the existing Gup requirement sheet (Do you have these?) and took half the items and put them in Bold face and underlined them . These were the more foundational items or things that took longer to learn. Then after 3 months they tested on these items only and need to be modestly proficient and were promoted a half Gup level. The following test included all items and they needed to be better on the earlier stuff as well as doing all the addittional stuff on the sheet.

After each promo the studnts get asheet for their new requirements. One month before the test they are encouraged to review their sheets and ask for help any any items they need help on for the upcoming test.

This very same form is used for grading at the test. It can also be used as a checkoff of minimum proficiency for permission to test if ou ahave the time and resources to do this.

Yes, 6 months is a long time for kids, and it's taking many of my student's longer since they don't come much. We have curriculum, and I used it to check everyone before the last testing. Took forever.

I like this idea. Might be easier to divide the curriculum in half than in fourths like I was originally thinking. So it would still meet my need of giving them little goals, just in a bigger increment.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We use stripes on some belt colors.

up to for, made nicely by electrical tape.
One for knowing your form
one for one/three steps
one for knowing the name of the form and what the color means (the adlutls need to know a SD technique)
one for knowing blocks or stances
one for knowing you hand target drills.

not all at once, it varies a bit depending on the belt.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir,
Please think in the minimum time frame that it takes to train a skilled student from white belt to black belt, and keep that time in mind with all of your decisions. It will really be your school after that time, but now you must build it. You have inherited issues from your predecessor but are now building your own school and reputation. The committed students will adapt and the others will go elsewhere--and that is as it should be. You are the face of Taekwondo for them, so you should have standards that make students well prepared at each level.

Two ideas to add to other posts: My master has a school handbook that lists the requirements to test for each belt along with all other required knowledge. This makes the standards clear. Second, my master only lets students test who have his written permission, something given out in class in the week before testing. Students who advance too soon will have a poor mental and physical foundation, and you should be the most qualified judge of when they are ready.

Your perseverence and indomitable spirit will build you the school you seek.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think part of my trouble is that kids just think differently than adults... I don't know how to communicate with them properly maybe?

Yes they do, and it may be a little harder for you coming from an all adult class. Kids live in the moment. It's all about 'right now'. Before they are teens there is little thinking ahead, and with teens it's sometimes no more than what they wanna do later (after school, tonight, etc...).

Make the classes fun, challenging (yet lots of praise for good effort and improvement), and varied, and they will like it.

Younger kids follow the older kids and accept what the older kids say is the 'word on the street' about how testing works. That common word has come from the past instructor, and it will take time for them to see you are different. As you stamp your personality on the program and connect with the kids they will learn to view you as 'sabum-nim' and learn your words.

Since you're a recreation program I assume you have some kind of sessions or breaks of some kind? You might consider changing the name of the program and creating some kind of symbolism to help people understand that your program is different from the past. This kind of change is difficult for adults and even more so for kids who live in the moment and are young in every way.

Good luck.

Latest Discussions