New guy looking for advice from those 30 and over

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well I may be asking too much of myself, or maybe I am just crazy. I am 32 about six foot tall and around 170lbs. In my younger years 16-19 I took some TKD classes. A lot of the time I would forgo the normal class and show up for sparring. The instructor required sparring when he was testing the students for advancement and I fought just about everyone that was testing.

I was never great but I had good form and my kicks were fast and accurate. I was at an acceptable level to me. Now at 32, I just started going to an American kenpo school. I will skip the why I picked kenpo and try and stay more on topic with my question. But I do want to add that after a month, I love this style and hope to stay with it 100%.

In class when we practice our kicks I think mine are about as good as anyone else in the class. I am in phase one of the training so the highest belts in the class are advanced orange. But I seem to compare myself to how I was back at age 16-19. My kicks had a lot more snap and the form was to me much cleaner.

I hate that I can kick out fine but on bringing my leg back and getting into a neutral bow I am slow and sloppy.

Sometimes I feel like maybe I missed the boat starting over at 32. When I do something like delayed sword, or captured twigs I can do the moves but I am sloppy and unrefined looking. Then when I watch the instructor do the same moves it looks smooth as glass. I know that with 18 years teaching and no telling how many years training to reach the level of 5th Dan some of that can be expected. And maybe I am too hard on myself but am I crazy to think I will ever get back to at least the level I was at ages 16-19?

Have or do any of you that are my age or older feel this way? Did I wait to long to get back into martial arts? I want to reach the level of black belt, but only if I can reach the level of perfection that I associate with that level of rank. Case and point, I don’t want to wear the belt if I look like a joke on the mat.

Any idea how I can work to improve my speed, form, and accuracy? I do have a wave master to work with. I stretch everyday for at least 20 min.

Anyway thanks to all who read and respond to this. I may be just over thinking my situation and putting to much into improving to quickly. Any advise from those that are going or have gone through this would be very appreciated and respected.

Phil

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting back into it - and for picking a great style as well! I have not yet reached the age of 32, but I have worked with several people in that bracket. My advice is - just practice! You sound as though you're in pretty good shape, so it probably won't take as long for you as it does for others. Concentrate on doing it right. Don't worry about speed right now - focus on form and accuracy. Do each technique many times slowly. As you perfect the basics and the movement, the speed will follow. One thing that I have used with much success is performing the techniques with tension. Tense all the muscles in your body while you do it slowly. This helps your muscle memory. Keep at it, and good luck!

Salute,
JB

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, you're in good company. I started in '85 and then had an 8 year break. I returned back in 2003. I am now 38.

I remember my movements were better when I was younger. I was frustrated that I didn't move the way I "should". My instructor reminded me that with the training lag, it takes time for the body physically to catch up with the mind mentally, especially with certain motions like kicks and punches. When I become more fit and proficient, things will get better. He is right.

Just keep on practicing; you will eventually and surely become more smooth and adept.

- Ceicei

BuckO

White Belt
Reaction score
I am 37 and have been doing kenpo for 12 years with time away for personal / family issues about 7-8 actual training years. I have trained with Tracys as well as Epak. I have studied under 2nd gen kenpoists. I have work with martial artists from different styles, boxers, kick boxers. I also study under a special forces vietnam combat vet.

A perfect high kick or whatever is a different kind of traing then what most kenpo schools/ Instructers teach. It is helpful to be able to kick well in kenpo but kenpo is supposed to be about self defense techniques. It takes a long time to perfect those techniques I have not done it yet. I Am as strong and fast as i was at 25 ( i may look a bit fatter) I have to work harder at it now, but this is not a ******** movie where flying around, looking good and dramatic techniques are the rule. I am Real.
Welcome back, Dont leave again

Love BuckO
TIMING IS EVERYTHING

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time for this advice: "Go slower to go faster." Practice slowly to improve your form and build muscle memory!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
I may be just over thinking my situation and putting to much into improving to quickly.
Guess what, dude. You're not that old.

Yes, you're overthinking it. You need to relax. Getting over anxious may only promote the possibility of injuring yourself unnecessarily. And don't compare yourself with the teenage version of yourself. You're not him. Your actually better. Give yourself the time to prove it.

Best of luck in your training!

Regards,

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score

2004 hemi,

I commend you, on your decision to commence your study of Kenpo, If I can share with you, my thoughts,

The past is the past, It may seem frustrating that while once a strong, flexible, talented youth, we where able to do many things that we are unable to do now. Sad but true, Yet the mistake is living in the past and making comparisons, It is a new beginning.

As with all learning activities, acquiring skill is a process of time and the effort that is applied to the time spent, as you are aware, there is only one Jackie Chan, one Jet li. "As to there is only one of you unique"

I’m sure that if you are present focused, patient and committed you will be able to achieve your goals, and more than likely exceed them,

Best of luck!

Cheers

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
2004hemi [font=Arial said:
I was never great but I had good form and my kicks were fast and accurate. I was at an acceptable level to me. Now at 32, I just started going to an American kenpo school. I will skip the why I picked kenpo and try and stay more on topic with my question. But I do want to add that after a month, I love this style and hope to stay with it 100%. [/font]

Congrats. on finding a new style!!

In class when we practice our kicks I think mine are about as good as anyone else in the class. I am in phase one of the training so the highest belts in the class are advanced orange. But I seem to compare myself to how I was back at age 16-19. My kicks had a lot more snap and the form was to me much cleaner.

I hate that I can kick out fine but on bringing my leg back and getting into a neutral bow I am slow and sloppy.

Its good to have goals that you want to set your standards by. As we age, we're probably going to slightly slower than we used to. Arnisador made a very good point...go slower to get faster!! Take your time, get the proper form and you'll see improvements. It won't happen overnight, but keep up the hard work.

Sometimes I feel like maybe I missed the boat starting over at 32. When I do something like delayed sword, or captured twigs I can do the moves but I am sloppy and unrefined looking. Then when I watch the instructor do the same moves it looks smooth as glass. I know that with 18 years teaching and no telling how many years training to reach the level of 5th Dan some of that can be expected. And maybe I am too hard on myself but am I crazy to think I will ever get back to at least the level I was at ages 16-19?

You're never too old to start. As for the moves, kicks, etc....keep in mind that while many arts have the same kicks and punches, the way they're applied are probably going to be different. Again, take your time and work on form.

Have or do any of you that are my age or older feel this way? Did I wait to long to get back into martial arts? I want to reach the level of black belt, but only if I can reach the level of perfection that I associate with that level of rank. Case and point, I don’t want to wear the belt if I look like a joke on the mat.

As I said before, its good to have goal and even to have a rolemodel in the class, but don't let that goal overwhelm your training. We are all unique in our own special way, so while we may see someone that we want to be exactly like, the fact remains that we may never be like that person due to a size difference, different build, etc. Keep training hard, get used to the basics, take it slow and before you know it, it'll be second nature.

Any idea how I can work to improve my speed, form, and accuracy? I do have a wave master to work with. I stretch everyday for at least 20 min.

Practice, practice, and more practice!!!

Anyway thanks to all who read and respond to this. I may be just over thinking my situation and putting to much into improving to quickly. Any advise from those that are going or have gone through this would be very appreciated and respected.

Phil

Good luck on your new journey!

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Work daily.
Pay attention to detail, especially with the very basics.
Be patient and keep in mind that you are in this for the long haul.
Keep your goal of Black Belt and beyond, but do the best to be your best at each and every stage....
ENJOY the process.

Your Brother
John

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started up again at 30something. Practice a lot, and you need to know it's going to take years to get some speed back up. But it's something you'll have to train on incessantly. You can do it!

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to say thank you to everyone that took the time to respond. I also wanted to say thank ya’ll for the sound advice and words of encouragement getting back into martial arts and in particular Kenpo.

I can see that I will need to be patient with myself, not to the point that I am slacking off in my training. But I need to be willing to accept that it will take time for me to reach the level I once was.

As far as kenpo goes I can see how I may become, if not already a pest to my instructor. He teaches things relevant to my level of experience in training. But I have a tendency to want to learn more and more. From what I can tell so far (only a month into my training) this style has a lot of flexibility in it’s application as I get more advanced in training. I can not wait to see what I will be learning at the advanced levels of training after 1st Dan.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
2004 Hemi....I guess you are a Moparian?
I assumed so also, but being a Stang guy, I figured I give him the benefit of the doubt anyway. :rolleyes:

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes I pretty much love all things MO/PAR from the old 68-69 GTX/ Road Runner, Charger to my 2004 Hemi Ram 1500. (Just to be clear I don’t have a 68-69 GTX, Road runner or charger) I would have to thing long and hard about giving my first born in trade for one :)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
Yes I pretty much love all things MO/PAR from the old 68-69 GTX/ Road Runner, Charger to my 2004 Hemi Ram 1500. (Just to be clear I don’t have a 68-69 GTX, Road runner or charger) I would have to thing long and hard about giving my first born in trade for one :)
Well I am a die-hard Moparian.

I started as a Chevelle/Camaro man (Hand-me downs from my older brother.)

One of my uncles was crew mechanic when dragracing was extremely popular...the old "Big Daddy Days"

Needless to say he was a MoparMan. Thus he turned me on to them.

My first Mopar was a Challenger, but it got stolen.

My second was a '72 Charger, that my girlfriend (now wife) found in a newspaper.

I am currenty restoring a 70 Charger 500...all original with original rare documents (thus I am also on a Charger forum and other such)

And yes Gemni, I have a "stang"-'66 also being restored..but will be sold to finish financing the Charger resto.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The others gave good advice. At 43 I will only say this. Quit worrying about what you COULD do then and worry about what you CAN do now. The difference of 15+ years makes a big difference of course but nothing that can't be changed... except what you're doing NOW.
Practice hard but don't kill yourself... you'll get back into form soon enough. :asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
I would have to thing long and hard about giving my first born in trade for one :)
A good friend of mine in sitting with a '69 GTX stripped down in his garage. He has 2 HEMI blocks for it. I keep asking him to get it on the road, but he just won't. I've told him I'll buy it from him but he won't give me a price. errrrrr.

Actually, I love all the old muscle. Classics are classics, eh? Challenger was always my favorite. Well, next to a '69 BOSS 429 Mach 1 anyway. :)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gemini said:
A good friend of mine in sitting with a '69 GTX stripped down in his garage. He has 2 HEMI blocks for it. I keep asking him to get it on the road, but he just won't. I've told him I'll buy it from him but he won't give me a price. errrrrr.

Actually, I love all the old muscle. Classics are classics, eh? Challenger was always my favorite. Well, next to a '69 BOSS 429 Mach 1 anyway. :)
Because people rather have things rot than to see someone else accomplish something that they should have.

Which, in a indirect way, brings us to martial art schools that have instructors self-appoint ranks to acomplish recognition over the other competition. Thus having students resign.

And these resigned students, return decades later, concerned if their age or physique can handle martial arts over again,

BuckO

White Belt
Reaction score
I sounded real cocky with that last post. I should have said at the end I try to keep it real.

:idunno: :mp5:

Latest Discussions