New EPAK student in Northern California

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Howdy!

I'm new to MT and martial arts as well. I began my training last October in Indiana, where I studied TKD. I managed to achieve a camouflage belt level. At that point I finished university, and moved to northern California to be close to my family.

I researched some TKD schools here, but nothing was really clicking for me...so I decided to expand my search and include other martial arts. I visited an American Kenpo dojo and watched an advanced class of brown and black belts training, and was BLOWN AWAY. Immediately I sensed that kenpo would suit my personal style and movement much better than TKD ever did (I'm short and very powerful and aggressive for a woman, but have trouble with high kicks). I joined the dojo that week and never looked back.

That was in June. I'll be testing for my yellow belt in late September. I train at the dojo 3 times a week, but haven't amped up my training to include working on my own yet. I love my dojo and the people I train with...which are mostly men, as I am one of only 3 women in the dojo. I'm tremendously happy with my choice, and I've joined MT to learn more about the practice of EPAK.

Jenny

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome! Good luck in your journey

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jenny,

Welcome to Martial Talk!

American Kenpo is awesome. You will have to do some adjustments like the front stance, but you will recognize the moves and easily adapt.

I really enjoy the technique lines to practice on a wide arrangement of people.

Bull in the ring is also fun.

Prepare to be bombarded with lots of concepts.

We also have a sister site: http://kenpotalk.com/

When you get the chance watch The Perfect Weapon. It's a cheesy 80's flick that show cases American Kenpo.

OP
Jenny_in_Chico

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jenny,

Welcome to Martial Talk!

American Kenpo is awesome. You will have to do some adjustments like the front stance, but you will recognize the moves and easily adapt.

I really enjoy the technique lines to practice on a wide arrangement of people.

Bull in the ring is also fun.

Prepare to be bombarded with lots of concepts.

We also have a sister site: http://kenpotalk.com/

When you get the chance watch The Perfect Weapon. It's a cheesy 80's flick that show cases American Kenpo.

Hello Hawke,

Haven't experienced Bull in the Ring yet...maybe they are saving it for when I get a little too uppity and need an attitude adjustment. ;)

I'll be sure to rent The Perfect Weapon for next weekend. Popcorn and a martial arts movie = heaven.

Jen

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Hawke,

Haven't experienced Bull in the Ring yet...maybe they are saving it for when I get a little too uppity and need an attitude adjustment. ;)

I'll be sure to rent The Perfect Weapon for next weekend. Popcorn and a martial arts movie = heaven.

Jen

Some instructors call it by another name, such as Suicide Circle. Its when one person (a defender) is surrounded by classmates (attackers) and have to defend themselves against an attack thrown at them. Its a lot of fun :)

Welcome aboard!

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jen,

Bull in the Ring is when you are in the middle and surrounded by your fellow students.

The instructor calls out numbers (or using hand signals so you can't hear).

Your job is to take them down quickly. Some may have various weapons (knives, sticks, gun) or attack a certain way (holds, chokes, tackles) and may come in solo, pairs, or triple threat (three students with three weapons).

There are variations to this exercise. It's an attempt to stimulate your adrenaline. You get an idea of how to move when your heartbeat is increased. Even though you know your life is never in any real danger, the bruises and bumps are real so you are encouraged to take them down quickly. You definitely get out of the habit of tunnel vision when you have multiple attackers.

This may sound harsh, but it's in a control environment.

It's also a lot of fun.

Stephen

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hehe. Carol beat me to the post.

Yes, Suicide Circle is another name.

Other styles like Kung Fu San Soo and Kajukenbo do this as well.

OP
Jenny_in_Chico

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jen,

Bull in the Ring is when you are in the middle and surrounded by your fellow students.

The instructor calls out numbers (or using hand signals so you can't hear).

Your job is to take them down quickly. Some may have various weapons (knives, sticks, gun) or attack a certain way (holds, chokes, tackles) and may come in solo, pairs, or triple threat (three students with three weapons).

There are variations to this exercise. It's an attempt to stimulate your adrenaline. You get an idea of how to move when your heartbeat is increased. Even though you know your life is never in any real danger, the bruises and bumps are real so you are encouraged to take them down quickly. You definitely get out of the habit of tunnel vision when you have multiple attackers.

This may sound harsh, but it's in a control environment.

It's also a lot of fun.

Stephen

As a white belt, that sounds far beyond my abilities at present. I've sparred under controlled circumstances with one person, but not multiple attackers. I enjoy sparring, but haven't had as many opportunities as I'd like because my sensei strictly limits sparring at white belt level. After I test for yellow (assuming I pass) then I'll spar every week. Right now my goal is to improve my footwork and my boxing skills, which are weak.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome and glad you found EPAK! Enjoy it and there's lots of fun stuff to be had!

Just curious - who is your instructor out there?

Latest Discussions