New BJJ guy needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are McDojos and basically filled with stupid katas, horrible stances and lousy punches
I dont wear pajamas and punch in the air !!
These arts give you a false illusion
And you expect us to believe you're a humble person who everyone likes....yeah no not believing it at all. You are the furthest thing from humble

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are McDojos and basically filled with stupid katas, horrible stances and lousy punches
I dont wear pajamas and punch in the air !!
These arts give you a false illusion
Once again, what's evil to you about the dogi? It's exercise clothing of a different sort. You seem to have some bias against it as some sort of cursed raiment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Karate is a cult !!!

You need things that are proven like MT, boxing , BJJ and wrestling

wearing pajamas and doing katas and silly punches in a horse stance is a joke
What do you see as cultish about Karate? And which Karate are you talking about? At which school? And which kinds of pajamas are they?

As for the rest, you clearly have no idea what those exercises are for, so I'll leave you to your delusions.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried KF and TKD as a kid and it was a laughable joke !!
You would get killed in real life against anyone with a little boxing

Again, you're projecting your own inadequacies onto others. My primary art is TKD. And I've managed to survive literally hundreds of fights.
In other words, it's pretty clear you don't know your rectum from a hole in the ground.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hundreds of fights lol
And you won a UFC title lol

Yes, hundreds. There is at least one patient a week that gets violent and someone has to take them down. That's generally me. So about 50 a year. Surely you can do basic maths, right? One of my kids is a cop. He has pointed out many times that I'm involved in more "use of force" events than he is, but a large margin.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1581106305626.jpg

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

What needed to be said has been said. That being said, this thread is now closed.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
2/3 of BJJ is garbage
I think what you're getting at here is that a significant percentage (call it 2/3 or 80% or whatever) of techniques taught in BJJ (especially at the intermediate/advanced level) are focused on defeating another BJJ practitioner in sport grappling competition and don't have a lot of direct application to a self-defense or MMA context.

This is a fair observation. This is why some of us put such an emphasis on the fundamentals, which can apply to a much wider range of combative situations.

The good news is, those advanced, sportive techniques can be useful to a martial artist even if they aren't competing in BJJ tournaments. The key is to realize that ultimately BJJ is not about the techniques - it's about the concepts and principles. Techniques are just contextual applications of those concepts in a given situation. Learning advanced techniques can give you a deeper understanding of the principles and an improved ability to apply them in whatever situation you find yourself.

That said, if I'm teaching an accomplished martial artist who just wants to learn enough ground skill to defend themselves and get back to their feet, I'm going to give them fundamentals, not x-guard and berimbolos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions