new arts

P

progressivetactics

As these "new" arts keep popping up, will Jeet Kune Do get too cumbersome? The idea in Jkd is to use what is useful, and with all the systems that keep tweeking and changing and growing, If there is anything useful in it, JKD will adapt it....Thus making it a larger body of techniques, principles, and curriculum. Will it become to big? Will it evolve into a SYSTEM ?

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Progressivetactics: jkd should not become a style, it shouldn't matter how much curriculem is involved. if you try to incorperate everything that is available, YES jkd will become a disaster, but to qutie Bruce Lee, "use what is usefull, discard what is not." the more you are shown the more choices you have to develop your own fighting style, AND thats what its all about.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
As these "new" arts keep popping up, will Jeet Kune Do get too cumbersome? The idea in Jkd is to use what is useful, and with all the systems that keep tweeking and changing and growing, If there is anything useful in it, JKD will adapt it....Thus making it a larger body of techniques, principles, and curriculum. Will it become to big? Will it evolve into a SYSTEM ?

I think your opinion of JKD is a bit differant than Bruces JKD. JKD is an "evolving entity." So is there a right or wrong?

But to "interpet" what Bruce "intended" JKD should be, one must thouroughly read his writings. They are open to interpetation but you left out the "refinement of technique, the constant whittling down our technique to perfection. Shortening our technique, eliminating that which is useless. That alone would off set the larger body of techniques. The principles would still be the same and the curriculum will be differant based upon who the teacher is.

Its quite easy to "listen" to our Sifu and their beleifs (words) on what JKD is and should be. But we must come to our own conclusions on the ultimate reality of combat. When I finally made the decision not to go back and train under my Sifu, I began "my journey" for "my ultimate reality." That was "my" choice and "my" path.

"Our" personal beleifs on JKD are just that, our own. But the more JKD evolves (changes) it becomes more "our own" and less Bruces, which I beleive he wanted.

I think your on your path of personal martial self discovery, just don't let someones "words" get in your way.

:asian:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I totally agree with akja, as it is indeed what Lee had intended for his art. As students of life, MA, everything else we have to keep learning, right up to the moment of our deaths whenever that may be. I will die a happy man if I would be able to learn something about the moment of my death (whenever!). I'm a happy man now because I am continually learning as I continue down my own path in this life.

Latest Discussions