New and old Katana

OP
K

kip42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kip, I'm going to be rather blunt here. You have a fanboy fascination, an adolescent adoration, little more than puppy love. The indications for this are that you are not taking on board anything that you have been told in previous threads, as these questions are basically the same as you have asked before.

From memory, last time you mentioned that you were starting in a Bujinkan school (two months ago), however your profile states "Beginner MMA". Once again, the advice that you should listen to is simple: Listen to your instructor. Stop trying to rush ahead, you have exactly zero need for anything that you have been asking for or about.

I have a student at present who asked me about hand-conditioning training. I told him to wait, as it will be a part of what I'm taking them through from January next year. He didn't wait. He is trying to put together hand-conditioning himself, and showed me after the last class that he was starting to develop callouses on his knuckles. He is doing it badly, injuring and damaging his hands unnecessarily, he doesn't know the proper, safe method of training it, he doesn't know the way to avoid such damage, and doesn't have the proper equipment to do it the way it should be done. So he was told (again!) to stop, and he told me "Oh, okay. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then" (?!?!) "No, stop! You need to wait so you can do it properly".

Same goes for yourself. You have no need of a sword, you have no need of anything more than a bokken at present (if you have started training, that is.... your posts are rather contradictory there, starting three months ago stating you have two years of army combatives focussing on BJJ, then Combat Krav Maga, then your profile states MMA, and the mention of starting Bujinkan....), if you're really interested in these arts, get an instructor if you don't have one already, and listen to them! Because, frankly, you are in no position yet to even start asking questions like this, as you have no reference for us to go off. Okay?

I am going to wait and get a sword later on when I am ready.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am going to wait and get a sword later on when I am ready.

Good. Really, it's the best advice that can be offered. You are in no way ready for any form of real weapon. So you know, after being involved in martial arts for some 23 years now, including 18 years in my present system (which includes a lot of swordsmanship), I'm going to have my first live blade cutting session in two weeks time. Don't rush these things, it just means that you'll burn out fast.

Latest Discussions