Neuralizers

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know anything about electeic shock therapy or neuralizers. But i disagree with the definition of business. USA healthcarw is busoness because it is "for profit." A very important distinction.

I've also looked into mental healthcare in the UK and think in some ways they are ahead of us and in others very far behind. Not an expert though
Though it is increasingly for-profit, there are still large non-profit medical centers and systems. The for-profit are often larger, so are buying up the non-profits over time.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Though it is increasingly for-profit, there are still large non-profit medical centers and systems. The for-profit are often larger, so are buying up the non-profits over time.
There are public facilities, but our healthcare system at large is for profit. It's inherently business. Insurance companies are in it for profit. Pharma is for profit. Hospitals and healthcare facilities are for profit. Unless they are public. Medicaid and medicare are not for profit because they are public. VA hospitals are not for profit because they are public. But they don't change the fact that our healthcare system is "for profit". Thats why we pay more for less than just about anyone else.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Non-profit systems are still businesses. Trust me. I work at a "non-profit" hospital.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non-profit systems are still businesses. Trust me. I work at a "non-profit" hospital.
Oh, I agree. I've served on the board of a start-up non-profit. It never got off the ground, mostly because the person starting it didn't accept she still had to deal with basic business realities. Non-profit is a somewhat different approach to business, but it still has many of the same concerns.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. I've served on the board of a start-up non-profit. It never got off the ground, mostly because the person starting it didn't accept she still had to deal with basic business realities. Non-profit is a somewhat different approach to business, but it still has many of the same concerns.

I suspect a small non-profit may be different, but large ones, with multiple sites around the country and billion dollar revenue streams are absolutely just as focused on the bottom line as "for profit" hospitals.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The truth is political? Your country does not have social healthcare so you pay for treatment, we have free at point of use so of course your medical people are in business and ours aren't. It's quite simple and I'm surprised to see you now toe the political line now you're a mod, I suppose it's in the 'contract'. I was a mentor at one time, the owner decided he didn't like my, what he called, 'leftist' politics so binned me, so if I'm now abrasive you know why.

You're assuming that your interpretation of the data is "the truth".

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is still used in some countries as an instrument of torture, used without anaesthetic.
Well that is the problem, I wouldn't want to torture anybody. With the neuralizer which currently only exists in fiction but could become real someday, it does not torture or cause any pain, it just causes people to forget stuff.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suspect a small non-profit may be different, but large ones, with multiple sites around the country and billion dollar revenue streams are absolutely just as focused on the bottom line as "for profit" hospitals.
well not the British health service, the main criticism of of which from " right wingers" is it over pays for everything, takes on mind blowing expensive care for the chronically ill and is very inificiently run, in short it burns through a fabulous amount of money , which they commonly run out of before the year end, whilst still managing to under pay most of their staff, it may fit the heading of a buesnrss, but there's no bottom line considerations

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that is the problem, I wouldn't want to torture anybody. With the neuralizer which currently only exists in fiction but could become real someday, it does not torture or cause any pain, it just causes people to forget stuff.
well my life would possibly be better if I managed to forget a few things that happened to me, but then I wouldn't be me, as memories are a significant part of who we are stealing them seems again to stealing their identity, and us in many ways worse than torture

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
well my life would possibly be better if I managed to forget a few things that happened to me, but then I wouldn't be me, as memories are a significant part of who we are stealing them seems again to stealing their identity, and us in many ways worse than torture
Well in MIB the purpose of the nerualizer was to keep their secrets. When the wrong people have the wrong knowledge it can lead to big problems.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well in MIB the purpose of the nerualizer was to keep their secrets. When the wrong people have the wrong knowledge it can lead to big problems.
judging by your last couple of posts you seem to be having a real problem telling Holly wood from reality,
government agents who aren't will smith having the ability to selectively wipe people's minds is the stuff of totalitarian night mares. it may well be possible to do in the not to distant future, that doesn't mean it's a good idea

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
judging by your last couple of posts you seem to be having a real problem telling Holly wood from reality,
government agents who aren't will smith having the ability to selectively wipe people's minds is the stuff of totalitarian night mares. it may well be possible to do in the not to distant future, that doesn't mean it's a good idea
How do you truly know they haven’t been using a version of it for years?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only to the degree that it's a impossible to truly know anything
Exactly.

We had an employee at a college I used to work at who was pretty whacked out. First time I met him, he tells me “Don’t tell me anything you don’t want the government to know. They bugged me decades ago.” I looked at him and said “You too?” We had an unspoken understanding from then on :)

My boss told me the first he met him the guy, he walked into the guy’s work area and before my boss could say anything, the guy says “Be careful, there’s a camera in that door lock. They’ve been watching me for years. Don’t do or say anything incriminating.” My boss tiptoed across the room, grabbed the package he was there to pick up, and tiptoed back, hiding his face.

We had fun with the guy. We just couldn’t resist.

We had our theories...

1. Mine was he was the sane one and we were all crazy.

2. My boss thought he was just a paranoid idiot.

3. The other guy who worked directly with us thought it was all a front so he didn’t have to talk to anyone.

2. was too easy. I wasn’t sure if I liked 1 or 3 better. It depended on the day. When I heard he passed away, several years after I stopped working there, the first thing I said was “Are we really sure he’s dead, or did the government finally take him?” Everyone said they were thinking the same thing.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nope, if you've read my posts properly you will see that I say that stuff such as neuralizers are currently fiction.

I've also been saying it would be nice for them to be real. Not that they are real, just that it would be nice if they. What part don't you understand?

The boldfaced part if your quite is my point exactly.

Now you might be asking why I would want a device like that. Well here is why. Lets say I say something I regret. I say something and I want to take it back. I could just do this-

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, if you've read my posts properly you will see that I say that stuff such as neuralizers are currently fiction.

Saying it and really grasping it are two different things. Maybe, if so many people are asking this question (and I seem to recall several people making the same observation recently) it's something you should think about.

Now you might be asking why I would want a device like that. Well here is why. Lets say I say something I regret. I say something and I want to take it back. I could just do this-[/QUOTE]

Or, you could just do what most adults have learned to do and think before you speak.

Latest Discussions