Nepotism and Oligarchies in Multi-Generation Schoosl Lineage

Jade Dragon Alaska

White Belt
Reaction score
Some schools and teachers say they are the blah-blah generation of a school, like this is something good.

Family based governments are corrupt and ineffective; compare the oligarchies of South American banana republics, with the US.

Continued inbreeding is one cause of mental retardation, and is why marriage to first cousins, is banned in many countries and cultures.

The hybrid development of the Golden Retriever was good, but went too far with the bumbling Irish Setter.

Look at what in-breeding has done to the royal family of England, do you want to look like Prince Charles?

Family based style for non-family members, might not give out all of their methods, and can hold back a lot, only to trickle missing links to 'back door students' .

Nepotism is discrimination, and not merit based; by definition.

Some good examples; Bruce Lee's son, Funakoshi's son.

Compare the difference between Henry and Peter Fonda, or Lloyd Bridges and Jeff Bridges.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and you believe that the one automatically equals the other? Is that what you are saying? That schools that can trace their generations and lineage are inbred, retarded, corrupt, inefficient, discriminatory?

weird.

by the way, for how long, and during what years, did you train with Sifu Wong Jack Man? I know some people who also trained with him. Perhaps they were your classmates.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and you believe that the one automatically equals the other? Is that what you are saying? That schools that can trace their generations and lineage are inbred, retarded, corrupt, inefficient, discriminatory?

weird.

by the way, for how long, and during what years, did you train with Sifu Wong Jack Man? I know some people who also trained with him. Perhaps they were your classmates.

I know one of his students as well. We might know the same folks.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My goodness! Has something happened in your school that has upset you?

Mind you, I don't favor nepotism in general, nor any other form of discrimination. But I don't know that when GMs have children that study at their family school, it is automatic that there will be what you describe. I know in the case of my late GM, he never hesitated to teach anybody anything they asked about. And I have heard plenty of stories of teachers who are even harder on their own children at testing time.

I can feel the anger in your words. What happened?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some schools and teachers say they are the blah-blah generation of a school, like this is something good.

Family based governments are corrupt and ineffective; compare the oligarchies of South American banana republics, with the US.

Continued inbreeding is one cause of mental retardation, and is why marriage to first cousins, is banned in many countries and cultures.

The hybrid development of the Golden Retriever was good, but went too far with the bumbling Irish Setter.

Look at what in-breeding has done to the royal family of England, do you want to look like Prince Charles?

Family based style for non-family members, might not give out all of their methods, and can hold back a lot, only to trickle missing links to 'back door students' .

Compare the difference between Henry and Peter Fonda, or Lloyd Bridges and Jeff Bridges.

Exactly! I mean, compare the difference between Jeff Bridges and the Brooklyn and Golden Gate Bridges. It is there for all to see. A good point. You have made it well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

What the heck are you talking about.

So a solid lineage is the same a inbreading, Oligarchy. dog breeding, the British Royal family, Nepotism and discrimination :confused:

And just what the heck does Bruce Lee's son, Funakoshi's son Henry, Peter Fonda, Lloyd Bridges and Jeff Bridges have to do with any of it. You could just as easily throw in the son of Chen Zhaoxu who is a very good martuial artists or the Son of Tung Ying Chieh who was taking challenges and winning in Thailand... or Tung Hu Ling's oldest son who is alive and well and a damn good fighter...and while I'm at it... ever hear of the Yao Brothers... Learn the history before you make sweeping generalizations about a vast number of people that you know little about.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I do not follow your logic but it is a Friday afternoon, so I may not be at 100%.

I do not always referrence generations, but I do referrence Lineage. i.e. Student of GM Remy A Presas, Student of GM Ted Buot, who was the only student of GM Anciong Bacon to teach at Bacon's school.

I could say I am a first generation student of GM Remy A Presas and a Second Generation Student of GM Anciong Bacon. Both being the founder of their art.

I am not related to either founder or instructor.

I am authorized to teach, and a recognized leader in the community of these arts.

Just curious what the issue really is?

Thanks

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of those things that needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis. Uechi Kanbun Sensei trained many excellent Karateka in Uechi Ryu (Pangainoon). His son, Kanei Sensei in turn took the reigns after Kanbun Sensei's death and did an excellent job of promoting and building the Ryu. Upon his passing, as I understand it, Kammie Sensei (Kanbun's grandson/Kanei's son) took the reigns. The run had a major split into at least 16 different arts as a result of this in the early 90's. It seems a lot of tension and dissatisfaction existed at the time.

On the flip side, many systems have multiple successful genereations. So really, some times it's fine and sometimes problems occur. It seems that when problems occur it ultimately goes back to either poor leadership on the one hand or greed and/or ego on the other (or maybe a combination).

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some schools and teachers say they are the blah-blah generation of a school, like this is something good. /QUOTE]

Much, much better to learn a traditional art from someone who has just started out their own system. Best way to avoid having to justify a proven track record is not to have one. Problem solved.

How is Brandon Lee an example of nepotism?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, rather than an oligarchy(power being held by a few) what would you reccomend? That it would be more appropriate for an organization to be effectively leaderless? That decisions could be made by anyone? That lower ranked members of the organization can make changes as they see fit, and determine their own rank and the rank of others?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You do know that the Golden Retriever was devloped in Scotland, independent of the development of the Irish Setter, dontcha?

Some good examples; Bruce Lee's son, Funakoshi's son.Compare the difference between Henry and Peter Fonda, or Lloyd Bridges and Jeff Bridges.

And I've got nothing, but....

Attachments

• $pancakebunny.jpg
    $pancakebunny.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 184

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jeff Bridges could act circles around Loyd.
And while Brandon Lee was certainly no Bruce, who was?

I think you need a hug. (we all do at one time or another)
So, here's one. HUG.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jeff Bridges could act circles around Loyd.

Oh REALLY!!!!

How can you say that

No one I mean absolutely NO ONE can deliver the lines “By that time, my lungs were aching for air” and “It looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue”

Better than Lloyd....

Jeff....phffft.... Starman….. True Grit…PHFFFFFFFT!!!!

Sea hunt and Airplane... that there was some acting… NOW you’re talking entertainment :D :D :D :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess really all this boils down to is...

Blue isn't Red
Up isn't always up because sometimes it's down
Oranges are fruit while apples are the devil
And finally... the answer really is 42.

Sounds about right to me...

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am glad I am not the only one following this!!!! By the way the answer is 47 not 42!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh REALLY!!!!

How can you say that

No one I mean absolutely NO ONE can deliver the lines “By that time, my lungs were aching for air” and “It looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue”

Better than Lloyd....

Jeff....phffft.... Starman….. True Grit…PHFFFFFFFT!!!!

Sea hunt and Airplane... that there was some acting… NOW you’re talking entertainment :D :D :D :D

You do have a damn good point there. :)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am glad I am not the only one following this!!!! By the way the answer is 47 not 42!

Actually... the answer is 42... but there's no way of proving it since the Vogons trashed the joint right before the supreme answer of 42 was to be given.

Bother... oh well, drink anybody?

Latest Discussions