Need some help

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of a traditional Japanese dojo (with the exception of Aikido). I'm in the Savannah area in Georgia at Ft. Stewart. From what I can see via online, driving around and talking to some people......1 Aikido dojo in downtown Savannah, that's it :tantrum:
So if ANYONE can help me I would appreciate it !!! Thanks.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
What art are you looking for?
And what do you mean with 'traditional Japanese dojo'?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As Bruno said, it'll really come down to what you're after.... and how far you're willing to go! Given the location, it's a fair hike (about 4 hours, according to Google Maps...), but I'd be seriously considering going to the University of Georgia in Athens and seeing Professor Karl Friday, who teaches Kashima Shinryu. Then again, I love that system.

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for responding.........as for what I'm "looking" for, I'm looking for a traditional Koryu style. I come from the Bujinkan, unfortunately the only city for that is, again Atlanta. But I love the "Way" (not to sound tooo cheasy) of the Japanese arts. I know I'm quite limited to what my options are here in Savannah, so at this point I'm checkin out what, if anything, is out here.

I don't have a particular style in mind as of yet, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
While not technically Koryu, a Genbukan dojo may be to your liking.
Genbukan dojo are typically very traditional in their approach, and there is the option to study individual ryuha.

There is a dojo locator on the main page:
http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're actually after Koryu, then Professor Friday is most likely your best bet. I realise that it's a long trip, but if you contact him and express your interest, he may be willing to allow occasional visits and take it from there. Honestly, it's not an opportunity I'd want to let pass myself, you may find that there are other students of his nearer to you who you can train with between sessions. But do be prepared for it to really not be what you're used to from the Bujinkan.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check Macon for Buj... still a haul, but not "that" bad.

Also have you checked Statesboro at the college, Jacksonville, or Charleston?

Ga doesn't have much in the way of koryu except for Karl Friday at UGA which Chris mentioned already.

Also... anybody on base doing anything?

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While not technically Koryu, a Genbukan dojo may be to your liking.
Genbukan dojo are typically very traditional in their approach, and there is the option to study individual ryuha.

There is a dojo locator on the main page:
http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl
I would love to go to the Genbukan.......I looked at the link, but didnt see an option for GA :rpo: .

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Check Macon for Buj... still a haul, but not "that" bad.

Also have you checked Statesboro at the college, Jacksonville, or Charleston?

Ga doesn't have much in the way of koryu except for Karl Friday at UGA which Chris mentioned already.

Also... anybody on base doing anything?
Couldn't find much at the College, and nobody, that i know of anyway, is doing anything on base either :duh:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Ronnin,

In case you haven't seen it, the following are a couple of clips of Kashima Shinryu, including the Kenjutsu and Jujutsu.

[yt]gFjbxa6YsUc[/yt]

[yt]nID-qU5yOGw[/yt]

Latest Discussions