Need some help from you guys

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay guys I've got a small problem I need help with & since there is a lot of knowledge here thought I'd stop by my favorite forums in order to see if there is a way I can handle this without going to my instructor to tell him.

There is this new guy named Michael in my BJJ class. I've never rolled with him. The other three guys. Dustin, Allan, & Ryan are great. I love to roll with them because I feel like I'm learning during a misstep, or how I need to get my movement, & what I need to do. I learn through repetition. So the more it comes up the better I will get it.

So I roll with this guy Michael, & he is fast. That doesn't bother me at all. But he drilled me way too hard. I couldn't move, & felt like the guy was trying to kill me on the mat. I get up this morning & I'm feeling it around my neck, shoulders, & my left arm.

He may be in a position where he learns best like that, & I know there is no substitute for learning. But does anybody have something I can say to this guy to make him understand that he can slow down. We're not training for the Olympics or the UFC, so you know I shouldn't have to feel like a training partner is trying to kill me on the mat. It's not about hey I'll strangle the new guy for a year.

When I switched rolling partners it was a lot more comfortable, but rolling with the guy who put everything he had into me, it just made me feel like that was the exact opposite of what you're suppose to do.

Any help on what to say to this guy Friday, or maybe what I should say to my instructor regarding the pace & strength of this guy. I'd maybe expect this for a tournament, or maybe when you got to the advanced belts like brown, or black because by then you've been doing it for so long that you've got the knowledge to combat it.

I just don't want my classes to turn into four guys who drill light as far as technique in order to maybe get it down better. And one guy who thinks he has to hurt somebody in order to make them learn.

Once again any advice appreciated.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild idea... TALK TO HIM.

It may be necessary or appropriate for the instructor to remind everyone about how to work with a partner, but you say this guy is new. He may just not know any better without someone telling him. Another tip -- as a rule, I'll go as hard as my training partner goes. I start at a reasonable mid-point for the exercise; if he ramps it up, I follow suit. Lots of the time, that stops someone who's only in it to pound until their partner matches suit...

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ya like the guy above said.
Communicate with him.
Most new people are spastic, and use way to much strength, if they guy has any type of wrestling or tough guy type background he will probably be going even harder.
I dont know what rank you are, or what rank he is, but the first thing is communication.
Second if that doesnt work then avoid him when training.
If that doesnt work then talk to the instructor and let him know you uncomfortable feeling.
If that doesnt work then either deal with it, or find a new place to train. Because I dont think there is another option at that point

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm kind of mixed and think I need more information. I mean, if it's strictly about intensity and pace, I think it's a good thing to be pushed.

What's his experience level relative to you? Is he a lot more experienced? Completely new and spazzy?

How big/strong/athletic is he compared to you? I mean, are you a lot smaller or weaker?

Do you have any injuries or are you prone to injury?

Ultimately, unless the guy is leaving a wake of injuries, he might be exactly the kind of guy you want to spar with... at least from time to time.

BamBamx8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always have new bruises from sparring but as long as you are'nt hurt I would'nt worry about it too much.Pretty much everyone is better than me now and have more gas.Work on beating him and ask on some other defense tactics if the ones you know are'nt working.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just tell him you want to roll light/flow roll. Sometimes I have a joint or something aching and I just tell them up front: "hey man, I might have to just tap out during the roll because I hurt my shoulder". I've never had an issue doing that.

Latest Discussions