Need reccomendation for striking art from limited options

nytmare

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to start training in Martial Arts soon and have been researching schools in my area. ( Worcester, MA )

However I am having a difficult time deciding on what discipline to train in because of the choices available. Specifically, I am looking to learn a striking art to defend myself in real fight scenarios. Best would be something that incorporates a lot of actual application / sparing. Likewise, I need it to be something I can pick up and begin using quicker rather than later.

Through most of my searching on the board I have concluded that Muay Thai / Kickboxing / Vale Tudo / MMA training would be the ideal choice. TKD would be less practical ( plus my legs are more muscular and less flexible ). Kung Fu is a bit more abstract and internal so not ideal for what I need ( according to woOty's thread ). I searched for Kajukenbo and escrima and couldn't find anything near me.

I was wondering if some one could help recommend which style would be better for what I am looking for.

These look to be my only options at my location:

Tae Kwon Do
Kenpo Karate
Kung Fu
Aikido
Bando
Kwanmukan

OP
N

nytmare

White Belt
Reaction score
These looked intriguing but then again, what do I know....

KEN-RYU KENPO-KARATE (
http://www.alandallessandrokarate.com/whats_new.html )

The Martial Arts disciplines that make up the core of Ken-Ryu Kenpo.
Alan D'Allessandro has taken some of the best elements and techniques of several martial arts disciplines, his own material, and material from the different Kenpo styles he has studied to develop this system.

Taken form the "Judo" discipline is the skill to take down or upset the balance of an attacker. The "Jujitsu" aspects are joint locks, armbars, pins, traps, as well as striking. Pure power vs. power and direct movement found in "Karate", and the multiple strike combinations and extensive footwork taken from "Kenpo" and "Kick-Boxing". Topping off this system is the fluid movements and animal techniques that are found in the "Kung Fu" discipline.

The format of this system is structured to progressively develop the students utilizing the proper balance of upper body vs. lower body usage, starting out with basic Karate and working in Kenpo,and incorporating material fom each discipline as the student progresses in rank.

Kwanmukan ? http://www.kwanmukan-ma.com/

In the Kwanmukan style, you will learn the hand and foot techniques of pre-world war II Japanese Shoto-Kan karate.
You will also learn the ancient art of jiudo, which is comprised of throwing, choking, and joint locking techniques.
Kobudo is the study of classical Okinawan weapons, including the bo, tonfa, sai and nunchaku. The training helps develop strong joints, muscles, timing, and balance.
Aiki-jitsu encompasses all of these arts. The study of aiki-jitsu offers the advantages of rhythmic movement and physical fitness, both integral parts of self-defense training. It encourages discipline and a non-violent attitude. The student learns to use an opponent's force by bringing it into his own circle, neutralizing aggressive action by gaining control of the attacker.

Bando
http://www.bandoofnewengland.com/

Evidently Bando is similar to Muay Thai ??? The website looks like this particular place focuses on "forms" and what not from their "champions" section.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Specifically, I am looking to learn a striking art to defend myself in real fight scenarios. Best would be something that incorporates a lot of actual application / sparing. Likewise, I need it to be something I can pick up and begin using quicker rather than later.

For what you are looking for, I'd go with Kenpo Karate.
Other opinions?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the school.

Like nearly everywhere in Mass, there is a lot of Shaolin Kempo in Worcester, less of the Parker Kenpo.

The instructor is more important than the art. If you have an outstanding instructor, you will be able to learn and apply the style to anything you need to use it for. If your instructor is not outstanding, you will have trouble applying the style no matter what it is.

Choose wisely.

sealth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i study american kenpo and i can tell you it is the most street practical art ive found.everything youll learn is taken from natural body motion.the art is talored to your specific needs.like i can do my kenpo but, you cant .you can only do your kenpo.none of those high extreme kicks that never hit anyone anyway.

G

Gary Crawford

I'd have to say Kenpo whichever is availible. I earned my bb in Tracy's,but have a serious respect for Parkers. Either one will teach you what you need to know. The most important thing is to get started as soon as possible before you loose you passion to get started.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most areas have boxing gyms / clubs. Sometimes they aren't as visible though if they are training out of a YMCA. Or if your using the Yellow pages it might be under "Boxing" rather then "Martial arts"

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd recommend go watch at least one class from each of the schools, even participate in a free class if that is allowed.

See who the best instructor is, who is training his/her students like you want to be trained.

Don't believe everything you read from opinionated martial artists.

What we really mean is "I go to a style X school so I know the style X school is the best choice." Most of us are just loyal that way.

But choosing a school should be a long-term decision: take an extra week and make sure you make the right one.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes - by all means, visit the schools that interest you and try out a class. I think Kenpo might be a good choice...kung-fu also, depending on the style.

Jamie

White Belt
Reaction score
If you want a striking art then MMA won't be the one, that's more 50 percent groundwork, throws, grappling.

I agree with a few others if you just want a fighting system designed for modern day needs then the best one in your choice is Kempo

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as you said "Muay Thai / Kickboxing / Vale Tudo / MMA training" was your interest, Boxing and Judo are probably much better options, and are fairly common, so I'd agree with the other board :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Ironically I asked this question on another board and they encouraged me to avoid kenpo and find boxing / judo if I can't find muay thai.

In your opinion does the Kenpo school I linked to above look good?
http://www.neka1.com/
http://www.alandallessandrokarate.com/

Depends. There are a lot of instructors in Massachusetts that have made up their own style and refer to what they do as "Kenpo" (or "Kempo"). The D'Allessandros are among the folks that made up their own style.

They are a sport karate organization. IMO, what works in competitions is not always the same as what works on the street. That's not to say they are bad folks....if they are near you, they are worth checking out. But be very careful. Don't sign up for something just because it's Kenpo. Try out as many schools as you can, then decide.

OP
N

nytmare

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew Green,

Those particular arts weren't necessarily my "interest" ...

It was just what I guessed to be the best fit for my objectives ( striking, street self defense, faster track to learn ) after searching and reading posts on the forum. However, I could be wrong.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on the school.

Like nearly everywhere in Mass, there is a lot of Shaolin Kempo in Worcester, less of the Parker Kenpo.

The instructor is more important than the art. If you have an outstanding instructor, you will be able to learn and apply the style to anything you need to use it for. If your instructor is not outstanding, you will have trouble applying the style no matter what it is.

Choose wisely.

What Carol said. Not only will you have an easier time learning from a *good* instructor, you'll also learn how to use the techniques *properly*.

Jamie

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing martial arts for a few years now testing different arts out to eventually get to the right art for me, as some poeple will know now, Wing Chun. So I suppose I'm free to say, most martial artists start off on their art wanting fitness and self defense, then progressively grow into acting as if it's more than that, more a way of life and maybe following the spiritual side also.

Few people do not but in most cases I'm pretty sure from experiences this is true. Maybe you will grow with your art and take the same effects.

Just something to consider buddy.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Kempo has alot fast strikes/kicks and takedowns in most of there techniques. Mulitple hitting is the trade mark of most Kempo schools.

Learning Judo.....may suprise you....they do have striking (upper ranks-BB)...depending on your Sensi.

You may want to look into this style! ........Aloha

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Specifically, I am looking to learn a striking art to defend myself in real fight scenarios.

The advice to look for a boxing program is a good one--a gym, the YMCA, etc. Judo/wrestling is an excellent adjunct.

Tae Kwon Do
Kenpo Karate
Kung Fu
Aikido
Bando
Kwanmukan

From this list, Bando is your best bet...if all the instructors are equal. Of course, they aren't. But Bando has a Muay Thai-style kickboxing component, and if it's emphasized then you'll get what you are looking for, I'd wager.

Kung Fu is a very generic term...do you know the style?

Latest Discussions