Need help with sparring

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by MidnightBlue, Apr 5, 2012.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Ah, you're clearly as addicted to this as the rest of us. Welcome.

My name is Gerry, and I'm a Martial-Arts-aholic.

2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    By the way, also consider that part of what makes these guys different from others may be precisely what you're experiencing. They may be specifically good at breaking their opponent's rhythm. They may not even be doing it consciously.

3. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I have 3 adult female students that have the same problem. 1. is afraid of getting hit. 2. is trying to make kung fu like hollywood and tries to over plan here attacks and as a result she doesn't take into consideration what her opponent will do in response. 3. doesn't put enough effort until one of the other ladies hits her too hard.

I'm not sure which one you are in, but if you are like #1. Then take take some light hits on your guard. Have someone hit you lightly with some jabs, hooks, uppercuts and kicks while you try to only defend against them. Don't just stand there, move around. Make them earn the attack. IMPORTANT: While you are getting hit, and defending, make sure that you pay attention tho how the punches and kicks are coming in. Are there any patterns that start to appear? Does you sparring partner like to kick and punch with the right or the left. Does he drop his hand before he attacks. Try to analyze your partner while you are defending. Once you are comfortable against the light attacks, then ask your partner to attack you a little harder and faster. Repeat the same process that you did for the light attacks. Analyze your attacker while you defend. Do you see any openings? Does he have the same patterns that he had when he was doing light attacks? Does he drop his hand? Does he take a big inhale before he attacks? How are the punches coming in?

If you do this then you should be able to greatly get rid of the fear of being hit.

If you aren't afraid of being hit but over plan your attacks, then stop thinking. Think less of trying to create opportunities and spend more time taking advantage of the opportunities that are there. If there's an opening of a punch then punch. If there's an opening for a kick then kick. Keep fighting simple.

This is not something that you will overcome in one night, one week, or one month. The 3 female students that I have have been sparring for about an entire year (once a week). They have gotten better at sparring but still have those problems. The problem is a mental one. Mental issues are the most difficult thing to get rid of because it's how we think. The way that I've gotten rid of mine was to change how I think.

If you think too much then try fighting without thinking. Don't worry about getting hit or kick. Just fight without a plan without thinking. Hit or kick the person in front of you. If you can do this multiple times then it may help speed up the process of stopping the over-thinking. But there's no guarantee, because you can easily slip back into the habit of over-thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. marques

marques 2nd Black Belt

I get a bit nervous when on the other side there is someone 'fighting heavy' successfully when it is supposed to be sparring. In that case I focus on defence (foot work) and in the extreme, head defence. In other words, I focus in a few priorities. Just in case it works with you. I hope you find a solution soon.

I also overthink / overanalyse sparring. So I like to do it slowly (at least for a while). I don't think it alone is a disadvantage. When it is to be fast I am fast (not because I am Bruce Lee but because I quite predict what the opponent can / will do). And it is also consequence of analysing opponents. Perhaps you just need to spar more, as someone said before.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  5. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    I shortened the quote only so it's shorter. I can't click the "Agree" button three times to indicate my level of agreement with this. Wolf's post is an excellent example of progressive Resistance theory of training. It works, and it works well. But, you have to trust the process and perservere.

6. New Instructor

New Instructor White Belt

Don't be afraid to ask the high ranks questions. Like how did you see that opening? How can I improve in this area or that area?
    Throw more than one technique. Never Lee's with a turn kick. Always throw something to draw their attention. Remember the first few seconds is when they figure out how you will react to what ever they do. If you'll run or if you'll stand still. If you keep moving or they will try and find out your timing.
    Try and shadow spare. Work on different. Combos. Rule of thumb is if it starts with a punch end with a kick and vice versa.

7. Martial D

Martial D 2nd Black Belt

This was posted in 2012. I'm not sure she still needs advice..

8. New Instructor

New Instructor White Belt

Sorry... I'm new. Will pay more attention next time.

9. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Not a problem. Several of our regular members responded earlier this year, not noticing that the original poster hasn't been back since 2012. The advice can still be useful to other readers who have the same issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

It is a pretty common issue that one as well.

I had people with that problem at wrestling last night. Because apparently if you are not great at shooting on guys. You get sprawled on and smothered.