Need help please!

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
could you maybe give us a little bit more information as to what this guys problem is.?? i mean, why is he on your case? is it completely senseless or are there some issues that are being discussed or any arguments in the past??
it might help a little to know this. otherwise, i suggest you either find more peaceful ways of solving the situation of conflict. not knowing the exact situation, it's hard to say and this might sound silly but the best would be to neutralize the conflict in a human way. -love your neighbor,right.? otherwise, just call the cops on him in a really unemotional and nothing personal way. calling the police would be a good way of protecting yourself if you have the chance. however, i still think that sorting things out without having to resort to police might be the best. ultimately, only you can decide what the correct course of action is.

if i were you, the first thing i would do is not get a knife, but i would first try to get rid of any unnecessary fears. fears tend to spawn more negativity and conflicts. i trust that without fear, you will be more able to deal with the conflict in a human way and if it really comes down to violence, through fearlessness, courage to defend yourself and family will be more likely.

so this guy just gets all liquored up and then starts threatening you and pulling knives on you..?? what a freak! what in gods name is going on in that intoxicated mind of his?

j

Okay, it's a pretty long story but I'll do my best to fill you in. I'm 25 years old in a wheelchair. He moved on this block years ago. Over time, we found out that he was a drinker and a drug addict. He also made it very clear that he owns guns and other sorts of weapons in his house. He is also apart of an underground KKK. Anyway, I know he has a lot of knives because one time during the summer time when he was drunk, he walked over and held a knife to my stomach asking me if I wanted to feel what it would feel like in my stomach. I just laughed to try and keep cool and shrugged him off. Anyway, my parents taught me since he moved here to be NICE at all times and we have. Now, we have handicap parking out front our house. It was put in 4-5 years ago after I had a stroke. I had a stroke in the middle of the night and his truck was parked on the street which trucks aren't allowed to be parked on the street and we couldn't get out quick enough to rush to the ER as I was having a stroke. So we talked to the Township and they said we would be allowed to have a handicap sign out front so my Father could park his car out there and this way, my handicap van could be in our driveway at ALL times. I've been sick with medical problems since I was 20 months old, so it's nothing new.

Anyway, up to today..... Now, my nurses come daily for my dialysis. They basically come the same time every night. They are here for about an hour and a half, 2 hours the MOST. She always parks in the driveway but the other night it was snowing and VERY icy. She has an older car, smaller car and couldn't get up our driveway because of the ice. So she parked along side my Dad's car which is also allowed. Well, he threw a fit, while I was on the machine, he came over our house and started banging on our glass door. Make a long story short, he started stating racial slurs to my nurse, attempted to punch my Mom three times, then went on to threatened our lives.

Now, my Father and I are both handicap. My Mom is a little 5'2 woman and I'm very upset at myself because I can't protect her. If I was walking and he attempted to punch my Mom the way he did, he wouldn't have been alive today.

As for the gun, you have to know my family to understand that when they are against something, that's it, their mind is made up. My Mom doesn't even know I'm asking for help like I am here. She didn't ask for protection, it's all my idea. I talked to my friend whose a cop and told him what I wanted to do. And he said it's fine as long as it's in my own house. He said if this man should break into our home, we are allowed to do anything we have to do to protect ourselves.

Me personally, I would feel most comfortable if I had a knife with me in my home. It isn't the best idea but it's the best I can do. It's better then nothing...... If you guys feel that a stun gun is really no help to my Mom, then I will listen to you guys on that.

Sorry guys for the long reply.......

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
So am I.

The OP has described assault and threats on fairly helpless victims. He's attempted to carry out a threat against the OP's mother. But the police can't do anything?

I kind of doubt it... or there's information that's not being given.

He's willing to carry a knife, with no clue how to use it... but not get something that would actually be effective like a gun.

I'm skeptical. I'm very, very skeptical. Especially as his tale of woes grows longer.

On the off chance that the story is true...

I recommend two "weapons" to defend against this guy. The first is a cell phone to call 911. The second is a baseball bat or similar item. I think it's much more likely he could effectively employ a bat much more quickly and ably than a knife, with much less training.

I do concur with Kenpotex; a Taser, even the civilian model with the 20 or 30 second ride, is completely inappropriate given the circumstances. And I'd not recommend any other stun gun device that I've seen on the market to anyone; only Taser's product has the Neuromuscular Incapacitation pulse. Pain can be overcome, but the NMI is freakishly effective. But it remains really a tool for subdueing someone and controlling them for an arrest, not really for self defense.

You don't have to believe me, that's fine. I have more important things to in my life then to make up a story. I came along this message board from a Google search because I was desperate for help for my Mother. My Mother is the only thing I'm concerned about. The police was called and they simply told us there is nothing they can do. They said to remain cordially like we have been and unless he lays a finger on anyone of us, there isn't anything they can do other then tell him again that anyone is allowed to park there.

They also did tell us to call 911 next time he attempts to knock on our door. Of course we will do that BUT I'm not going to take any chances in the mean time.

As for the bat, I have a baseball bat in the house but me personally, that's not good enough. Not only that, my Mom isn't going to carry around a baseball bat every time she leaves the house or during the summer time when her and I want to be outside at night. Nor is she going to keep a baseball bat besides her bed. Understand that my Mom sleeps upstairs and I sleep downstairs because I can't get upstairs. My Father also sleeps downstairs with me because of my medical needs. So while she is sleeping alone at night and has for years, God forbid this man should break into our home in the middle of the night, I will do anything I can to give my Mom added protection while she is by herself. Not only that, but when I go to the monthly for blood work and other things, I want added protection when he knows that we aren't home and my Mom's home alone.

I agree with you and others that a gun would be the best thing for protection. But you should know or maybe you don't, some women just aren't comfortable with a gun in the house for numerous amount of reasons. So if my Mom isn't comfortable with a gun, why am I going to push that on her? So if I can look at other different types of protection, then that's where I'm looking. Not only that, yes, a self defense class would be great but we don't have the means to take the time even though yes that would be important. Nor do we have the money for such classes. So ridiculous? Not when weekly dialysis is $500.00 cash, our electric bill with all the machines running monthly comes out to $700-$900, my medications that aren't cover and other medical expanses. That doesn't include food and other bills. Plus my Dad lost his leg last JAN and his job. So, this is the route I'm choosing, right or wrong, it's better then nothing.......

Again, you don't want to believe a word I said, that's your choice. I didn't come here asking for people to believe me, I came here asking what knife would be the best for protection.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Matthew,

Something is not right here.

Based on what you have said seek a restraining order. That is the first step. After that make good choices for yourself and your family. Wish I could help more but clearly you are closer to what is going on and will have to make these decisions yourself.

Oh and seek legal counsel for help with this situation.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'd get a really sharp and sturdy knife. could be a compact and stealthy foldout(like the ones with the sortof triangular blades)
, but i'd probably stick with a knife drawn from sheath, but it doesnt matter too much as long as the blade is a blade, you could choose whatever knife is affordable and suitable to your needs.

still, in all honesty, i emplore you to find other solutions to the conflict. try to see that if the guy were to really break into your house, he would be commiting a felony and you could easily get him in deep trouble. also, if anyone crazy enough really gives it their all, they can probably get you, kill you or whatever. that works the other way around too, i mean, maybe with a little help, you could break into his house and even mess him up bad with a sneak attack...
however, that would be illegal. im not suggesting this in the least. i just want to show you that you are not as weak as you think. everyone has weaknesses and strengths. noone is invincible. noone is perfect either.
if this guy is as messed up as you say, then he's only ruining his own life. the negativity is sure to catch up to him. and if you and your fam dont stab him or shoot him, then someone else just might do that.

of course many others on this forum will say you could have already shot at him for pulling the **** he did. - i can't really disagree but i do always look for human ways to solve the problem and would resort to violence only in the worst case. i mean i am very quick to get into verbal fights and scuffles, dangerous and stupid as it is, i try to keep it really aware and controlled for the purposes of communication. but when it comes to real damage like stabing or shooting someone, i believe that is a really big step and ultimately you will need to justify it for the law and yourself.

good luck to you. stay safe.

j

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Skitch said:
He tried punching my Mother several times the other night ...

I'm confused. How and where did this happen? Was this in a public place? In your home? How did your mother manage to avoid being punched when he attempted it?

I understand you're in a wheelchair, you have a large disadvantage against this guy. You could easily be disarmed and have the knife used against you. Also, with the stroke you suffered, has that left you with further paralysis? How much use of your upper body do you have?

As already stated, a gun would be your best protection. Or a taser.

I truly am boggled that with the information you provided that you are unable to get help from the police at this point. File a restraining order and take the advice given on alternative choices in weapons.

Skitch said:
As for the bat, I have a baseball bat in the house but me personally, that's not good enough. Not only that, my Mom isn't going to carry around a baseball bat every time she leaves the house or during the summer time when her and I want to be outside at night.

Is she going to carry a knife? She too could be easily disarmed and have the weapon used against her. If this is coming down to the safety of your family, you're better off with nothing than something that can be easily taken and used against you. Defending with a knife is not easy, nor does it pose the same kind of threat in the hands of a handicapped person or a small woman than a gun would. From the way you describe this guy, he'd probably laugh and grab it out of your hand.

Report every single incidence to the police so they have a record. You should be able to get a restraining order against this guy easily enough.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You don't have to believe me, that's fine. I have more important things to in my life then to make up a story. I came along this message board from a Google search because I was desperate for help for my Mother. My Mother is the only thing I'm concerned about. The police was called and they simply told us there is nothing they can do. They said to remain cordially like we have been and unless he lays a finger on anyone of us, there isn't anything they can do other then tell him again that anyone is allowed to park there.

They also did tell us to call 911 next time he attempts to knock on our door. Of course we will do that BUT I'm not going to take any chances in the mean time.

As for the bat, I have a baseball bat in the house but me personally, that's not good enough. Not only that, my Mom isn't going to carry around a baseball bat every time she leaves the house or during the summer time when her and I want to be outside at night. Nor is she going to keep a baseball bat besides her bed. Understand that my Mom sleeps upstairs and I sleep downstairs because I can't get upstairs. My Father also sleeps downstairs with me because of my medical needs. So while she is sleeping alone at night and has for years, God forbid this man should break into our home in the middle of the night, I will do anything I can to give my Mom added protection while she is by herself. Not only that, but when I go to the monthly for blood work and other things, I want added protection when he knows that we aren't home and my Mom's home alone.

I agree with you and others that a gun would be the best thing for protection. But you should know or maybe you don't, some women just aren't comfortable with a gun in the house for numerous amount of reasons. So if my Mom isn't comfortable with a gun, why am I going to push that on her? So if I can look at other different types of protection, then that's where I'm looking. Not only that, yes, a self defense class would be great but we don't have the means to take the time even though yes that would be important. Nor do we have the money for such classes. So ridiculous? Not when weekly dialysis is $500.00 cash, our electric bill with all the machines running monthly comes out to $700-$900, my medications that aren't cover and other medical expanses. That doesn't include food and other bills. Plus my Dad lost his leg last JAN and his job. So, this is the route I'm choosing, right or wrong, it's better then nothing.......

Again, you don't want to believe a word I said, that's your choice. I didn't come here asking for people to believe me, I came here asking what knife would be the best for protection.

Its a shame for you that you don't live in the UK where your medical treatment would be free and you'd get disability benefit too. I can't really see if you're in a wheelchair and have had a stroke that swinging any weapon about would be a good idea as it'll probably be used against you. I think you need to talk to your parents and your friend about a proper permanent solution rather than keeping your worries to yourself and talking to strangers on the internet. Good luck.

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
i'd get a really sharp and sturdy knife. could be a compact and stealthy foldout(like the ones with the sortof triangular blades)
, but i'd probably stick with a knife drawn from sheath, but it doesnt matter too much as long as the blade is a blade, you could choose whatever knife is affordable and suitable to your needs.

still, in all honesty, i emplore you to find other solutions to the conflict. try to see that if the guy were to really break into your house, he would be commiting a felony and you could easily get him in deep trouble. also, if anyone crazy enough really gives it their all, they can probably get you, kill you or whatever. that works the other way around too, i mean, maybe with a little help, you could break into his house and even mess him up bad with a sneak attack...
however, that would be illegal. im not suggesting this in the least. i just want to show you that you are not as weak as you think. everyone has weaknesses and strengths. noone is invincible. noone is perfect either.
if this guy is as messed up as you say, then he's only ruining his own life. the negativity is sure to catch up to him. and if you and your fam dont stab him or shoot him, then someone else just might do that.

of course many others on this forum will say you could have already shot at him for pulling the **** he did. - i can't really disagree but i do always look for human ways to solve the problem and would resort to violence only in the worst case. i mean i am very quick to get into verbal fights and scuffles, dangerous and stupid as it is, i try to keep it really aware and controlled for the purposes of communication. but when it comes to real damage like stabing or shooting someone, i believe that is a really big step and ultimately you will need to justify it for the law and yourself.

good luck to you. stay safe.

j

Oh, I couldn't agree more with what you said. I'm not going to be nasty to him or attempt to harm him in any way. If he talks to me, I'll be nice because it's who I am. But if he were to break into our house and step over those fine lines, then like I said, I have to do what I have to do to stay protected. But I'm not going to go outside threatening him, there's no need to and it's not who I am.

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused. How and where did this happen? Was this in a public place? In your home? How did your mother manage to avoid being punched when he attempted it?

I understand you're in a wheelchair, you have a large disadvantage against this guy. You could easily be disarmed and have the knife used against you. Also, with the stroke you suffered, has that left you with further paralysis? How much use of your upper body do you have?

As already stated, a gun would be your best protection. Or a taser.

I truly am boggled that with the information you provided that you are unable to get help from the police at this point. File a restraining order and take the advice given on alternative choices in weapons.

Is she going to carry a knife? She too could be easily disarmed and have the weapon used against her. If this is coming down to the safety of your family, you're better off with nothing than something that can be easily taken and used against you. Defending with a knife is not easy, nor does it pose the same kind of threat in the hands of a handicapped person or a small woman than a gun would. From the way you describe this guy, he'd probably laugh and grab it out of your hand.

Report every single incidence to the police so they have a record. You should be able to get a restraining order against this guy easily enough.

To answer your first question, he backed my Mother up on our porch into a corner. And he went to go punch my Mom and HIS wife grabbed his arm and held it back screaming "You can't afford to go back to jail" and he tried again and again his wife did the same thing.

As for my stroke, thankfully, no it didn't leave any paralysis on me, maybe a little speech problem but other then that, no. I have the use of my arms and hands to a degree. Could I use a knife if I had to? Yes.....

As for a gun, I've already been over that. A taser? I was told here that really wouldn't be a good idea and is mostly used with cops. So I didn't look further into that idea.

As for the other statements. Yes, it's ashame that the cops didn't do anything but they DIDN'T. That's why I called my friend up whose and cop and asked him what I could do to remain safe in my home so I can SLEEP at night. My Mom isn't going to carry a knife with her but I'm getting her pepper spray for when she's out of the house. It's better then nothing..... The knife is for me in my home.

And just because I'm handicap, doesn't mean I wouldn't give my life or do everything I could to save my Mother's.

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
Its a shame for you that you don't live in the UK where your medical treatment would be free and you'd get disability benefit too. I can't really see if you're in a wheelchair and have had a stroke that swinging any weapon about would be a good idea as it'll probably be used against you. I think you need to talk to your parents and your friend about a proper permanent solution rather than keeping your worries to yourself and talking to strangers on the internet. Good luck.

Thank you for the kind words and God Bless you my friend.

Like I said, the stroke didn't leave any paralysis on me expect a slight speech problem and I forget people's names and numbers easily. Other then that, I'm fine. And like I said, I talked to my friend whose been a cop for well over 20 years. And he told me different types of protection I am allowed in my home. And if a knife would help me sleep better at night knowing that SOMETHING is there, then I see nothing wrong with that.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From what I can tell Skitch you are going to purchase a knife regardless if someone advises against it. In that case in self defense it really does not matter what type of knife from a kitchen to a bowie knife if you know how to use it properly. With that said using a knife is very graphic and not a pretty sight. I really do not understand the issue with no gun. Proper usage of a gun or even a Pellet hand gun could neutualize the attacker long enough. Even learning grappling or improvised weapons such as an umbrella or frying pain could work but again in your replies do I keep reading I WANT A KNIFE. You do what you have to take care of yourself and family I wish you the best of luck and safety.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words and God Bless you my friend.

Like I said, the stroke didn't leave any paralysis on me expect a slight speech problem and I forget people's names and numbers easily. Other then that, I'm fine. And like I said, I talked to my friend whose been a cop for well over 20 years. And he told me different types of protection I am allowed in my home. And if a knife would help me sleep better at night knowing that SOMETHING is there, then I see nothing wrong with that.
I am missing how a knife will help you tho. You are in handicapped, lack proper training and pry not nearly as able bodied as your attacker... how hard do you think it will be for him to get that knife from you then turn it on you, your mother and your father? but if you insist on a knife, good luck, there as some great advice posted above. But make sure you are prepared to deal with the blood that will be split, the trauma, and the legal system afterwards

There are other ways to protect yourself, get a cheap video camera and record the incidents, when i worked at Walgreen's we sold one time use video camaras. And get a door alarm and post it as far away from your entry way as possible so that you can hear anyone approaching not just him. Get pepper spray, or a taser ... all you need to do is keep him down long enough for police to arrive. But a knife, i just don't see that ending well for you or your family.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, please don't take this wrong, but I have a few questions about this situation.

You say the stroke left you with minimal problems except for some speech dysfluency and memory problems... not to be indelicate, but why are you in a wheelchair, and what are your limitations? Rather than asking for general advice about knives, perhaps you should provide some more details so that the members of the forum can give you some more specific advice than what knife to buy - which, as several people have pointed out, requires some knowledge of your actual ability to use a knife. Can you stand? Walk? How's your balance? General coordination? Mobility? Use of your arms and hands? Strength? Training of any sort in using a knife? Having a knife will do you no good if you can't use it, or if, as previously said, it is taken away from you - and if this person has a knife already, having one brandished at him by someone who doesn't know how to use it is not likely to deter him.

You say that this neighbor moved in years ago, and over time, your family became aware that he was an alcoholic drug-abuser who, apparently, has some problem with bullying (if, as you say, he likes to threaten people with knives to their stomachs) - but no one has apparently done anything about it, other than your attempt here to find an appropriate knife.

Why don't your parents do something? Call the police? Complain to neighbors? Put a better lock on the front door (and how is this guy getting into your house in the first place)?

Are these events occurring only in your home, or outside of it as well? Who, outside your family, has observed this person's behavior? Have any of them taken action?

Why didn't the nurse (whom you say was present during at least one event) do something? Call the police, tell a supervisor, quit because of unsafe working conditions... something?

For that matter, if you've been asking a friend who is a police officer for advice on weaponry, why didn't he do something - a restraining order, perhaps? Increase the patrols in your neighborhood? I mean, honestly - I live across the street from a park where kids like to tag the picnic tables and play loud music - and the police upped their patrols in my neighborhood for that; I can't see why they wouldn't up their patrols for a family being terrorized by a knife-wielding alcoholic drug-addict... unless there's something you're not telling us.

There are plenty of people on this forum who will be willing and able to help you - but without answers to the above questions, and others like them, giving you information on knives is not going to be any use to you - it will just cause you to buy a knife that will give you a false sense of security.

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
From what I can tell Skitch you are going to purchase a knife regardless if someone advises against it. In that case in self defense it really does not matter what type of knife from a kitchen to a bowie knife if you know how to use it properly. With that said using a knife is very graphic and not a pretty sight. I really do not understand the issue with no gun. Proper usage of a gun or even a Pellet hand gun could neutualize the attacker long enough. Even learning grappling or improvised weapons such as an umbrella or frying pain could work but again in your replies do I keep reading I WANT A KNIFE. You do what you have to take care of yourself and family I wish you the best of luck and safety.

Pellet hand gun eh? Now I wouldn't be opposed to something like that. Are they hard to use? Are they truly effective like you said in neutralizing the attacker? Any sites I can look at or types of guns you would recommend?

Like I said, I'm open to other suggestions just not a regular gun, sorry......

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
I am missing how a knife will help you tho. You are in handicapped, lack proper training and pry not nearly as able bodied as your attacker... how hard do you think it will be for him to get that knife from you then turn it on you, your mother and your father? but if you insist on a knife, good luck, there as some great advice posted above. But make sure you are prepared to deal with the blood that will be split, the trauma, and the legal system afterwards

There are other ways to protect yourself, get a cheap video camera and record the incidents, when i worked at Walgreen's we sold one time use video camaras. And get a door alarm and post it as far away from your entry way as possible so that you can hear anyone approaching not just him. Get pepper spray, or a taser ... all you need to do is keep him down long enough for police to arrive. But a knife, i just don't see that ending well for you or your family.

Well, I asked for some suggestions on what taser would be the best to look into but I'm still waiting for suggestions.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Skitch forgive me for being so blunt here but how does the gentleman get into the house all the time. Why does the police do nothing about this?
Are you sure hr id s threat? A knife with you in a wheel chair is no help, a pellet gun is no help it is like a BB gun. Get a big dog and put it in the front yard to keep him out and your mom can walk him when she goes outside for protection. You have basically refuse to answer Kacey question why is that?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I asked for some suggestions on what taser would be the best to look into but I'm still waiting for suggestions.

Yasers would help but you better be accuart with it one shot that is all.

OP
S

Skitch

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, please don't take this wrong, but I have a few questions about this situation.

You say the stroke left you with minimal problems except for some speech dysfluency and memory problems... not to be indelicate, but why are you in a wheelchair, and what are your limitations? Rather than asking for general advice about knives, perhaps you should provide some more details so that the members of the forum can give you some more specific advice than what knife to buy - which, as several people have pointed out, requires some knowledge of your actual ability to use a knife. Can you stand? Walk? How's your balance? General coordination? Mobility? Use of your arms and hands? Strength? Training of any sort in using a knife? Having a knife will do you no good if you can't use it, or if, as previously said, it is taken away from you - and if this person has a knife already, having one brandished at him by someone who doesn't know how to use it is not likely to deter him.

You say that this neighbor moved in years ago, and over time, your family became aware that he was an alcoholic drug-abuser who, apparently, has some problem with bullying (if, as you say, he likes to threaten people with knives to their stomachs) - but no one has apparently done anything about it, other than your attempt here to find an appropriate knife.

Why don't your parents do something? Call the police? Complain to neighbors? Put a better lock on the front door (and how is this guy getting into your house in the first place)?

Are these events occurring only in your home, or outside of it as well? Who, outside your family, has observed this person's behavior? Have any of them taken action?

Why didn't the nurse (whom you say was present during at least one event) do something? Call the police, tell a supervisor, quit because of unsafe working conditions... something?

For that matter, if you've been asking a friend who is a police officer for advice on weaponry, why didn't he do something - a restraining order, perhaps? Increase the patrols in your neighborhood? I mean, honestly - I live across the street from a park where kids like to tag the picnic tables and play loud music - and the police upped their patrols in my neighborhood for that; I can't see why they wouldn't up their patrols for a family being terrorized by a knife-wielding alcoholic drug-addict... unless there's something you're not telling us.

There are plenty of people on this forum who will be willing and able to help you - but without answers to the above questions, and others like them, giving you information on knives is not going to be any use to you - it will just cause you to buy a knife that will give you a false sense of security.

I'm not being rude when I say this sir but I've answered basically all those questions you just asked. We have and did contact the police and they told us that unless he breaks into our home or hits anyone of us, there is nothing they can do. The cops said they know him very well and are just waiting to pick him up on something because they know what type of a person he is.

If you believe that I'm not telling you or anyone else here something, I'm sorry you feel that way. No offense, it's very hard to explain years of different situations in a couple of posts. I'd be willing to give my cell phone number to anyone who would be willing to talk to me and I'd be more then happy to explain better over the phone or answer any questions that you might have.

I'm simply looking for protection for inside my home. I want something on me for this summer coming up so when my Mother and I take a walk at night around the block, I'll have something counseled with me JUST in case. I pray that I never have to use ANY type of protection but I'd rather be prepared then anything.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Proper usage of a gun or even a Pellet hand gun could neutualize the attacker long enough.
Bad idea...all a pellet gun will do is piss them off

"but you could kill them if it went through their eye and into their brain"

right...:rolleyes:

Skitch said:
As several people, including myself, have already stated: a Taser is not the appropriate choice here. Aside from all the other reasons listed (only temporary incapacitation, not 100% effective, etc.), they cost as much or more than you'd spend on a real gun (which is probably the only tool that would actually give you a chance in this situation!)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not being rude when I say this sir but I've answered basically all those questions you just asked. We have and did contact the police and they told us that unless he breaks into our home or hits anyone of us, there is nothing they can do. The cops said they know him very well and are just waiting to pick him up on something because they know what type of a person he is.

If you believe that I'm not telling you or anyone else here something, I'm sorry you feel that way. No offense, it's very hard to explain years of different situations in a couple of posts. I'd be willing to give my cell phone number to anyone who would be willing to talk to me and I'd be more then happy to explain better over the phone or answer any questions that you might have.

I'm simply looking for protection for inside my home. I want something on me for this summer coming up so when my Mother and I take a walk at night around the block, I'll have something counseled with me JUST in case. I pray that I never have to use ANY type of protection but I'd rather be prepared then anything.

Well, first, I'm not a "sir"; I'm a "ma'am"! :lol:

Second, with all due respect, you have not told us what your physical capabilities are or are not - there are quite a few gradations of ability with people who are in wheelchairs, and nothing in this thread has given us any indication of what your ability level is. Without some indication of what you can and cannot do, there's little anyone can tell you about what an appropriate weapon might be.

Third, you have also not told us how this person, apparently repeatedly, gains access to your house.... which he's apparently done, and which appears to contradict your statement that the police are waiting for him to do so. This contradiction (or perhaps I've read something incorrectly) is part of my confusion.

As far as the police not being willing/able to help you unless/until this person - who has apparently repeatedly threatened you and your family physically - not being able to do anything until he enters your home - I've filed a restraining order in the past based on considerably less than you're claiming has happened here - all of it verbal abuse, rather than the physical abuse/threats you state you are subject to - and, in fact, when I did contact the police, they wanted to know why I waited as long as I did, and let the situation reach the point that it had. So I find it hard to believe the police will do nothing in this situation, as I have personal experience to the contrary.

I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative - I am attempting to understand why your experience with an abusive/stalking situation is so different from my own.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Skitch, I have read through this thread with some attention to detail.

Nobody here feels that your situation is meaningless or acceptable.

But the right and effective responses may clash with your preconceived notions of simply getting a knife. It would indeed be heartless for people to tell you to do that when they know it would only wind up getting your family hurt or killed. There are far too many instances where reliance mistakenly placed in a weapon, or an unearned black belt, has simply brought about tragic results.

You seem resentful that folks will not tell you what you want to hear. They take the time because they care. I don't know what Google said, but this Forum is much more than a weapons clearing house.

People here come upon their expertise only after years of study and practice. If only it were so easy as just buying a wonder weapon to make the bad guys go away. But harsh reality is that a weapon without the years of training, discipline - and ethics - may endanger rather than protect you.

Your story about the police is flawed. Fact is, he should not have all those guns if he's an excon. Fact is, he has already criminally crossed that "fine line" at least twice in what he did to you and your mother...... no cop I know, to include ones on this forum, would be likely to opine he hasn't "done something" already.

My advice is to forget blades and go to a legal aide lawyer. They can help you with restraining orders, legal options, parole violations and dealing with the police.

Also, your best bet is to get a dog...... not for only defense but mainly for life assistance. Ask the lawyer about public programs to provide dogs to the disabled. I have seen any number of disabled people here with assistance dogs, and you'd clearly qualify. Most are big dogs - I have seen retrievers and shepherds here,,,,, and while they are not attack dogs, they will most cerainly fight for their family.

I got my own elderly 5' 2' mother a black lab as a companion after my father died. You can't train a black lab to attack a person on command..... but ask most criminals how they'd feel about having a furious 100 pound dog on them that is defending his family.

A number of instructors will teach Tai Chi to somebody in a wheelchair..... and a number of disabled people thrive in the art. Try it and perhaps you will understand both yourself and us a lot better.