Need gloves and Head gear advice

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

I did not see a sub forum dedicated to equipment, so....

I have never used head gear. Honestly, I've rarely used mouth guards. I know, not smart, but ya know. I need it now because my training partner has it and I can tell he is a little apprehensive about lighting me up when I am not wearing any.

I also need some new boxing gloves. I have the older style that seem kinda pillowy. The area where you hammer fist is kinda poofs out whereas my partners (both of them) have gloves that seem kinda squared off on the side. Theirs don't seem as soft as mine, either. So... to put everything on even keel, I want some head gear and some modern boxing gloves (14oz). Personally, with head gear, I'd just as soon use the 7oz mma gloves I have but we are trying to take it a little easy (we're old) and I sprained two digits last night so I like the idea of wearing a full (not fingerless) glove when we go a little harder.

Here's the thing - I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for gear BUT I do not want to buy twice because I wasted money on what I though was a great deal. Also don't want head gear moving around, when hit.

I was drawn to the Venom Challenger 2.0 stuff. Seems kind of middle of the road.

So.... good budget gear that won't let me down, recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the help.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Greetings.

I have never used head gear. Honestly, I've rarely used mouth guards. I know, not smart, but ya know. I need it now because my training partner has it and I can tell he is a little apprehensive about lighting me up when I am not wearing any.

I also need some new boxing gloves. I have the older style that seem kinda pillowy. The area where you hammer fist is kinda poofs out whereas my partners (both of them) have gloves that seem kinda squared off on the side. Theirs don't seem as soft as mine, either. So... to put everything on even keel, I want some head gear and some modern boxing gloves (14oz). Personally, with head gear, I'd just as soon use the 7oz mma gloves I have but we are trying to take it a little easy (we're old) and I sprained two digits last night so I like the idea of wearing a full (not fingerless) glove when we go a little harder.

Here's the thing - I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for gear BUT I do not want to buy twice because I wasted money on what I though was a great deal. Also don't want head gear moving around, when hit.

I was drawn to the Venom Challenger 2.0 stuff. Seems kind of middle of the road.

You only have one body. Do not go cheap. That doesn't mean buy the highest price. Buy from a quality brand from MA or boxing store. Go to your local gym(s) and ask what they or their cliental recommend.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Greetings.

I recommend this 49.00 plus shipping.
P2 Premium Sparring Headgear | Century Martial Arts

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of sparring are your guys doing? That will change what gloves will be best.

My instructor and I used new head gear the other day, I've never worn anything so protective and comfortable. It had a bar that swept across the front to protect your nose and direct face shots. I don't know the brand name but I'll find out and let you know.

I understand where you're coming from, but you get what you pay for. You'll want to invest in good quality gear that will last and protect your hands/head.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What type of sparring are you doing? Punching only, Kickboxing, elbows and/or knees?
Technical
Conditional
All out full contact

If taking kicks to the arms, hands, or head I advise a Muay Thai type glove over a boxing glove due to the additional padding to protect the back of the hands fo when guarding or blocking kicks.
There are numerous types of headgear again depending on what kind of training you are doing. Headgear is more for preventing cuts vs head trauma from full contact type sparring. Headgear has been proven 'not' to prevent concussions when taking hard strikes and is now even thought to create more concerns than what it is supposed to prevent.

OP
Saheim

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback, guys!

That blew my mind about head gear possibly causing more concussions than it prevents. I actually looked into that, a little, and yea there is evidence to suggest that is the case.

As far as what type of sparring - kicks, punches an back fists, upper leg is a fair target, runnin about 40%-60% power. Currently no elbows or knees but they will eventually get added and I don't want to buy new gear when they do. Before elbows and knees are allowed, take downs will be. Add some block, lock, drop in there. I'm looking for some better shin guards (all the way over the instep) as well. Really leaning towards Venum Challenger 2.0 for all of it, unless someone can say they have had a bad experience.

I looked at the head gear in the link. My partners Rival has more cheek coverage. Looks like it makes it harder to totally flatten out the nose and I want things a even as possible. Truth is - MOST of my sparring has been with nothing other than 14oz gloves and shins. No head gear, no mouth guard, no cup. Been that way forever, but I'm older and (possibly) smarter now.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve worn the Century head gear, and don’t like it at all. It’s ridiculously hot, but more importantly it splits at stress points quickly in my experience. I’ve owned 3 and they’ve each lasted about 2 years or so. I know people who’ve had them much longer, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I really like the Top Ten Avantgarde. It’s not dipped foam; it’s a rubber-like material. Good coverage and visibility, not bulky, and far cooler than the dipped foam stuff. Several dojomates wear them and they’ve had them for years, and they’re all holding up great. I think I paid $125 or so for it, but I’ll gladly pay that again over the $50 or so for the Century stuff.

I think I saw its the most popular head gear in amateur boxing, but don’t hold me to that.

As far as boxing gloves, I’ve had good luck with Title gloves. They’re a bit expensive, but not astronomical Cleto Reyes expensive. Great value for money.

I have no experience with Venum or Rival. People love them.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve worn the Century head gear, and don’t like it at all. It’s ridiculously hot, but more importantly it splits at stress points quickly in my experience. I’ve owned 3 and they’ve each lasted about 2 years or so. I know people who’ve had them much longer, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The Kize gear fixes those problems.

It is sewn instead of dipped making it much more durable and fixes the splitting problem. It has internal lining that is cooler and more comfortable. And only costs $40.

Jacob could go through dipped gloves every 4-5 months. His Kize gloves are going on a year with no splits or tears....(knock on wood).

11450_010_1.jpg
11450_010_15.jpg

KIZE Sparring Headgear | Century Martial Arts

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Kize gear fixes those problems.

It is sewn instead of dipped making it much more durable and fixes the splitting problem. It has internal lining that is cooler and more comfortable. And only costs $40.

Jacob could go through dipped gloves every 4-5 months. His Kize gloves are going on a year with no splits or tears....(knock on wood).

11450_010_1.jpg
11450_010_15.jpg

KIZE Sparring Headgear | Century Martial Arts
I’ll definitely have to look into the kize gloves (and feet if they make them). My gloves have way too much duck tape on them. Good thing they’re black and I use black duck tape, so it’s not obvious from a mile away.

The dipped gloves and feet split far worse than the headgear. Always in the same spots too. They drive me crazy, but it’s what we’re required to wear. Our organization is pretty strict with our sparring gear, as there’s been quite a few incidents over the years. We don’t have to order through the dojos, but we have pretty specific guidelines.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ll definitely have to look into the kize gloves (and feet if they make them). My gloves have way too much duck tape on them. Good thing they’re black and I use black duck tape, so it’s not obvious from a mile away.

Understand completely.....always had to make sure we had duct tape for tournaments.

They make boots as well

11250_010_1.jpg

The material on the bottom also supplies really good traction and keeps you from slipping.

And the gloves:

11550_010_1.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Understand completely.....always had to make sure we had duct tape for tournaments.

They make boots as well

11250_010_1.jpg

The material on the bottom also supplies really good traction and keeps you from slipping.

And the gloves:

11550_010_1.jpg
Never could get used to something under my foot. I always like the old fashioned white shin/instep pads.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never could get used to something under my foot. I always like the old fashioned white shin/instep pads.

When we ordered them we actually planned to cut the material out from under the ball of his foot.....but it actually gave him a better grip on hard wood and carpet....so we kept it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have huyabusa tokasomething gloves and a bad boy helmet. (Which I mostly use for mma so my face doesn't get woodchipped.)

They both work well and the gloves have a little sweat wipe pad on the thumb which is cool.

They are also pretty costly.

I also try to do leather as I think it is harder wearing.

Latest Discussions