Need Feedback pls...CCC Dam

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the Campton Pond and Dam in Campton, NH.

Campton Pond was created in the 1890s by what was then a local paper company. In 1935, Campton Dam was built at the head of the pond by the Civilian Conservation Corps for flood control, draining the water in to a tributary of the Pemigewasset.

(Side note: In 1983, a small local group built a hydroelectric plant in the dam, with permission from the US Forest Service)

The reason why I am asking for feedback is because an admin for a Flickr group dedicated to CCC architecture has expressed an interest in my work in the past...ironically, in a shot with horrible lighting (and as such, heavily processed in lightroom). I'd like to give them a better example of the kind of work I can do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is Campton Dam.

1st - SOC original
2nd - Processed image

Attachments

• $Campton Dam SOC.jpg
    $Campton Dam SOC.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 182
  • $Campton Dam 800px.jpg
    $Campton Dam 800px.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 171
OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is Campton Pond.

1st - SOC original
2nd - Processed image

Attachments

• $Campton Pond SOC.jpg
    $Campton Pond SOC.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 181
  • $Campton Pond 1 800px.jpg
    $Campton Pond 1 800px.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 182

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The processed one of the pond is by far the nicer shot. The bright green of the evergreen, with the bright red of the building, and the yellow of the sun on the trees (the three complimentary colours), when combined with the mirror image of the pond, makes it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the pond, especially after processing.

The dam looks askew, even after processing, and that powerline just makes it seem worse. Maybe if you do a retake, move in and "down" so that the powerline ends up high enough that you can crop it out, if that makes sense?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the pond, especially after processing.

The dam looks askew, even after processing, and that powerline just makes it seem worse. Maybe if you do a retake, move in and "down" so that the powerline ends up high enough that you can crop it out, if that makes sense?

Absolutely! I suspect the highway on the left is also adding to the appearance that the dam is askew.

Perhaps a better composition would be to re-shoot the dam on an angle, kind of like I this shot I did more for posterity...only standing from the opposite corner so I can capture the gate house as well.

Attachments

• $Campton 008.jpg
    $Campton 008.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 169