Need advice

Haifeng

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to the forum and i world Like to ask you an advice.
In the city where i live i have the chance of practicing 2 martial arts either 7 star praying mantis or Tong bei, i Like them both but can study only one..........wich one would you choose???

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
All else being equal, I personally would choose Tongbeiquan, but that's purely because I don't like any praying mantis style (I know, I'm a disgrace to CMA). However, that is my personal opinion and shouldn't swade you either way. My advice would be to visit both schools and see which one clicks with you the most when you actually do it. Which school has the better atmosphere, with an instructor you connect with and training you enjoy. At the end of it all, that is more important than the actual style you choose.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd choose the one with the better teacher and classmates.

If they're both equal from that standpoint and you're really struggling to make a decision, pick the cheaper one :). Or the more convenient to get to one :)

Sounds like you've got a good problem to have. A lot of people have to take the lesser of two (or more) evils.

OP
Haifeng

Haifeng

White Belt
Reaction score
the teacher is the same ..he teaches both, but really i want to learn just one because dont have much time to train so i want to concentrate all of it in one, in the past i've done some kick boxing and some one told me tong bei mechanics are much similar to boxing then mantis...but i've not decided yet:(

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the teacher is the same ..he teaches both, but really i want to learn just one because dont have much time to train so i want to concentrate all of it in one, in the past i've done some kick boxing and some one told me tong bei mechanics are much similar to boxing then mantis...but i've not decided yet:(

Ah, now that makes it even harder. Have you spoken to the instructor and discussed with him which one might suit you better? It's very hard for us to tell which art would suit you more.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well then, is there one that the sifu is better at?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, now that makes it even harder. Have you spoken to the instructor and discussed with him which one might suit you better? It's very hard for us to tell which art would suit you more.

Just as Midnight-Shadow said, ask the teacher which one would be a better fit for you. He'll probably ask you several questions in a back and forth conversation.

OP
Haifeng

Haifeng

White Belt
Reaction score
Well...at the end i've done the first lesson today , the teacher showed me a bit of both and told me tong bei needs lots of years to learn proprerly just how to move. So i decided to go for 7 star mantis seems to me just more natural movements...hope i'm wright:)