NC Student Risks Expulsion Going Public With Alleged Rapist

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Landen Gambill, a sophomore from Mooresville, was informed last week by the student-run judicial system that she has been charged with an honor code violation for speaking out about alleged abuse and sexual violence by an ex-boyfriend, who also is a UNC-CH student. A letter from the system to Gambill said that she had been charged with “disruptive or intimidating behavior that willfully abuses, disparages, or otherwise interferes” with another’s academic pursuits at the university.

The accusation was made by the ex-boyfriend, who was found not guilty in an earlier honor court proceeding, according to Gambill. UNC’s honor court is its student-run judicial system. Its hearings and outcomes are typically private.

There is so much wrong with this... Where to start?!?

1) Why is a "student court" hearing a sexual assault case and making judgements about it? In what world does that make any sense?
2) Why didn't Gambill go to the police in the first place? (She claims the Dean of Students encouraged her not to?)

How about those two simple points to begin with... Geez-us!

Article: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/26/2709067/unc-student-who-spoke-out-about.html

No doubt this whole incident has been grossly mishandled...

Personally, until the ex-boyfriend is brought before a legitmate court I don't think she should be allowed to slander him. The key word is "alleged". This hasn't even seen the inside of a legitimate court room and I think all she's doing is making herself look bad. If convicted there, then plaster the ex-boyfriend's face all over the campus... but until then, this could just be the behavior of a vindictive ex girlfriend. That is how a Republic works... you have to prove guilt FIRST.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
seems like her pressing charges was the grounds for her infraction, no?
or did I read that wrong?

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
seems like her pressing charges was the grounds for her infraction, no?
or did I read that wrong?

I believe the charges were against the school, for not pursuing sexual assault cases. But that's a horse of a different color... She should file for criminal charges with the proper authorities (that's not the school or a student honor court.)

It was the school's student-led honor court that has yet to hear the complaint of her "slandering" her ex-boyfriend. Her ex, it so happens, was cleared of "charges" by that same "court" earlier.

Thing is, they have no legitimate jurisdiction.

The whole thing is ....insane! LOL

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, there is that insanity thing....

Scent of a Woman comes to mind....where is Al Pacino when you need him!