Navarre arrives.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thank you for helping me find a new home.

I am Michael aka Navarre. I have only recently joined, as you can see. I have studied Ko-Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate for 21 years (2nd degree black), Manabi-Masho Jujitsu for 12 years (4th degree black), and Shoo-Jin Martial Arts (an integrated system) for 21 years (4th black).

I have been away from my training for a few years and, at the age of 37, am struggling to regain my former levels of motivation. Martial Arts has shaped my life more than any other force (with due respect to my 3 year old twins!).

I am working hard to recenter myself and surround myself with those who understand how powerful The Art can be in one's life. I am grateful to have found such a place here.

Beyond martial arts I spend my time being a geek. Comic books, sci-fi, D&D; I'm your guy. I'm very philosophical, sometimes a bit too convinced of my own opinion, and so full of sarcastic wit I might POP like a weasel at any moment.

I wasn't originally going to bother posting in the newbie forum. I figured my regular posts would tell you what you needed to know about me. But, hey, it's one more step toward my 5000th post and Grandmaster ranking!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Navarre, as I have seen from some of your post your witt will be a asset here at MT and as being a sci-fi person you and Bob should get along great so many of them here, for comic book I'm your man as well of sports cards and collectables.
Terry Lee Stoker

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Hello everyone. Thank you for helping me find a new home.

I am Michael aka Navarre. I have only recently joined, as you can see. I have studied Ko-Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate for 21 years (2nd degree black), Manabi-Masho Jujitsu for 12 years (4th degree black), and Shoo-Jin Martial Arts (an integrated system) for 21 years (4th black).
Flippin' Sweet!

I just began Seieikan about a month ago under Sensei Danny Phillips. Can I, like, hang around with you and pick your brain and bring you nachos and stuff?

Oh, and a warm welcome to MT, Navarre

egg

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Egg. I noticed your style earlier and was glad to see a fellow member of my original system.

I've been away from the mainstream of Seiei Kan for quite a while. I don't know Mr. Phillips but again, I'm out of the loop. My sensei was trained directly by Mr. Don Madden so I guess that makes me third generation or something. (I'll buy the commemorative t-shirt later.) If you know Mr. Madden, ask him about Don Underwood (my sensei). He'll know him.

Anyway, not to digress off of regular Meet and Greet business, thanks for the welcome (you too, Terry!). And nachos are fine. I'm particularly vulnerable to the effects of sweet ice tea... (and barefoot brunette college co-eds).

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I've been away from the mainstream of Seiei Kan for quite a while. I don't know Mr. Phillips but again, I'm out of the loop. My sensei was trained directly by Mr. Don Madden so I guess that makes me third generation or something.
Sensei Danny is 3rd gen, then, as well. He was trained by George Annarino. I'll be meeting Sensei Annarino next Saturday. I don't know when I may meet Soke.

Navarre said:
Anyway, not to digress off of regular Meet and Greet business, thanks for the welcome (you too, Terry!). And nachos are fine. I'm particularly vulnerable to the effects of sweet ice tea... (and barefoot brunette college co-eds).
ooohhhhh...it seems we have much in common, then. :)

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been away from Seiei Kan far too long. Once the undisputed archive of all kata knowledge, I'd have to work now to remember them. So, my young padwan learner, enjoy your first month and train every day just as hard twenty years from now.

A long time ago I was going to videotape all of my katas for reference purposes for my students. I wish I had because now I'd need to review my own tapes. lord, that's sad.

It goes to show what happens when one fails to focus on the small things. I diversified my training into other systems and they didn't even do katas and after a while it slipped away without my notice.

Of course, back when I had the idea of taping my techniques, video camera came as bulky hold-on-the-shoulder contraptions with extra battery packs and all that. Nowadays it's all so easy.

It would be awesome if some of us could video a few of our favorite techniques and provide a short instructional narration, then have it all archived and hosted somewhere with a link from this forum. But, that would take a lot of web space. Of well, just an idea.

Okay there are, like 1731 members or so out there. Where's my magnificent greeting from the rest of y'all? Where's my parade with the floating Underdog balloon?? ... eh, maybe I need to post a few more times before I get the 30 foot statue erected in my honor.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I've been away from Seiei Kan far too long. Once the undisputed archive of all kata knowledge, I'd have to work now to remember them. So, my young padwan learner, enjoy your first month and train every day just as hard twenty years from now.
Domo. I shall.

I am refining Fukyugata Ich and Ni, as well as drilling my kids and wife on them as well, and have some knowledge of Pinan Shodan. First tourney next Saturday.

egg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And here:

Attachments

• $howdy.jpg
    $howdy.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 246

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So... Who's is the coolest bad guy Iron Fist ever fought??

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Howdy & welcome to MartialTalk, Navarre! :wavey: Hope you're enjoying the fora, & I look forward to reading more of your posts.

:asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Michael,

Though I'm not familiar with your systems, I think you'll find we have plenty of areas where "dry witt" and sarcasm fit right in. There are quite a few of us here who like to look at things from a lighter side.

One word of advise. If you really want to hit 5000 posts, you may want to try to keep your replies a bit shorter. At the rate you're going, you'll wear your fingers out first. Use smileys. People like smileys. :wink2: :D

j/k. Glad to have you. Enjoy!

Regards,

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini, you're right. I tend to be very lengthy when I post. I guess I have a lot on my mind. I'm an aspiring writer and excessive verbage is one of my weaknesses. I'll try to keep my posts down to short novel length.

Egg, that pic is awesome! Someone has way too much time on their hands. lol Thanks!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I'll try to keep my posts down to short novel length.
Like a unique length?

and the pic only took about 5 minutes. I mean, it's not all that good ;)

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And, Egg, I think it is great if your wife and kids practice the art with you. It is always wonderful if you and those you love have things you can share, particularly something as important as this.

One of my biggest regrets (or lessons as I prefer to think of such things) is that I did not choose a partner in life who shared my enjoyment of The Art (or any other form of exercise for that matter). [please read my upcoming autobiography or consult my counselor for full details]

And look, Gemini, two shorter posts for the price of one! *post meter keeps on a'clickin'*

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
One of my biggest regrets (or lessons as I prefer to think of such things) is that I did not choose a partner in life who shared my enjoyment of The Art
Initially, neither did I, but once she figured out I was a MA wack job and it was never going to change, she folded like a cheap suit. For the last three, we've practiced Kendo together. :duel:

Navarre said:
And look, Gemini, two shorter posts for the price of one! *post meter keeps on a'clickin'*
LOL. Now you're gettin' it. Look out, MT! Another black belt in the makin'. :wink2:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Yep, short and unique. What else could the word "novel" possibly mean? lol
heheh...well, backwards it's an elton john song, isn't it?