Naval Shipyard Shooting

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree mostly with the gun advocates on the issue. On the issues themselves, I think there are few laws that could be passed which would prevent this sort of tragedy. This guy, it turns out, did have some gun related incidents in his past. But nothing to preclude him from owning the shotgun he used. The sad truth is that the first time someone goes bonkers, it will likely be a surprise. The best we can really do is to prevent them from doing it twice.

But, man, the bodies are barely cold and I see two threads joyfully flouting the "gun grabbers" and using intentionally inflammatory language to bait an argument. Even as you guys accuse the "gun grabbers" of dancing gleefully in the blood, you can't wait to start a politically charged thread doing exactly that.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll recall I asked repeatedly the last time for time for proper investigation and was shouted at that it couldn't wait for rational thought, but needed to be discussed while emotions were hot. The problem Steve is 1 side respects the victims and would like to table these discussions until the investigation is over. The other side has an agenda they need to push and a tragedy to exploit. If we remain quiet, they will fast track more panicked useless laws. It's because of vipers like Feinstein that this dance is happening. Pro-2nd Amendment groups would prefer to allow decency to prevail, but have learned that to do so, allows rights to be stolen, and regaining them is a slow, expensive and iffy road.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Joy?

Please Steve...which "side" is the one scrambling to pass legislation on all of us the moment tragedy strikes?

There's a difference between "sides" in this situation.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the NYSAFER Act to be passed while sleep now.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you haven't answered the question, I suggest that you look at the facts of the situation.

Cliffs notes:

Navy yard shooter (abbreviated NYS from here on out) was mentally unstable.

NYS had quite a checkered past, including several incidents that should have been resulted in felony convictions, and should have been reported to BATF / FBI.
Could have resulted in felony convictions. Unless you're privy to the details of each proceeding, should is making an assumption.
NYS should have been declared mentally unfit. Medical records should have been sent to the BATF / FBI. They weren't.
It's unclear why this wasn't done -- and it's unclear what, if any, diagnosis was reached.
NYS even held a security clearance that he should not have held, given his mentally unstable condition.

Where exactly does the fault lie when it comes to law-abiding firearms owners who obey the laws?

It's rather early in the investigation to point fingers or even try to figure out what was what...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How come every time this happens the Govt wants to go after the guns of the innocent? They should make military bases a gun free zone

Latest Discussions