Navaja in Ohio

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just a heads up.

Congratulations Ken Pfrenger.

James Loriega has made Ken Pfrenger his official Point of Contact for his navaja work in Ohio.

Ken operates Cumann Bhata out of Kinsman, Ohio.

I recall being there several years ago when James made it semi-official, telling Ken, "I'm just going to send anyone in Ohio your way" (or something close to that). Now one step past that. 'Grats to Ken!

Maybe I can coax Ken into making a statement here. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They have been working together for quite some time, eh?

The navaja is not the most practical blade...but my, what a colorful history behind it. Andalusia has an amazingly rich tradition of blade crafts.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They have been working together for quite some time, eh?
Have to ask Ken how long.

The navaja is not the most practical blade...but my, what a colorful history behind it. Andalusia has an amazingly rich tradition of blade crafts.
At least as practical as the bowie work that I study or much of the FMA long-blade stuff. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations to Ken of course! James Loriega that is a name I have not heard in a long time. Was he not a student of Ronald Duncan's koga ryu ninjitsu? (note that is their spelling instead of ninjutsu)

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations to Ken of course! James Loriega that is a name I have not heard in a long time. Was he not a student of Ronald Duncan's koga ryu ninjitsu? (note that is their spelling instead of ninjutsu)
That sounds right, but I'm not sure.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn`t realize Ken was in Ohio. The next time I head back to Toledo to visit the family I`ll have to look him up. Finding someone to practice knifework or any other FMA with in rural Japan is a lost cause.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn`t realize Ken was in Ohio. The next time I head back to Toledo to visit the family I`ll have to look him up.
Ken is in Kinsman, east of Toledo. I'm in Dayton ('burbs).

Finding someone to practice knifework or any other FMA with in rural Japan is a lost cause.
Lots of other stuff in Japan though.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Howdie Kirk and all!

Been quite some time since I lasted visited MT. I even had to get my account reactivated. I first met James about 11 years ago in NYC but I did not start training with the navaja until about 6 years ago I think...and to be honest I got off to a slow start but I stuck with it because I enjoy the knife so much.

Even though interested parties in Ohio are to be funneled my way, I don't consider myself to be all that skilled. I do have a good grasp of the material and am a decent instructor but no ultra deadly knife master:)

As for whether it is a practical blade or not...my normal everyday carry knife is an ultracheap CS Kudu that I bought in ebay for $4 including shipping. This is nothing but a smaller navaja style knife with a less complicated lock. Very disposable. If I lose it no big deal, but I do practice all my knife work with it since it is my carry.

Of course if anyone is in the area they are more than welcome to stop by and we can stab each other all in good fun:)

Latest Discussions