Native North American Fighting arts?

OP
M

M F

If anyone is still interested, there is a guy named Blaise Loong. I believe he is in Southern California. He teaches Native American fighting arts(I believe he says Apache), as well as other arts. Filipino, JKD, and others. He was featured in a magazine called Full Contact several years ago. Many high ranking instructors had good things to say about him. http://www.blayshalla.com

OP
M

M F

I looked at the website closer. Go to the Yashai Warcraft link. Then #3, Nagondzog. It has a little article on aspects of the Apache arts.
This doesn't have anything to do with this topic, but Loong is an instructor of JKD and Jun Fan arts under Dan Inosanto. Mr. Inosanto is quoted as saying, "if you want to see how Bruce(Lee) did it, watch Blaise." Look at the pictures that go along with his articles(in the Archive section). He bears a striking resemblance to Bruce Lee, mostly in his build and form.

OP
R

Rommel

I just posted this in the other thread, but for those interested here it is.

TRS, the same guys who brought us Vlad, has just come out with a tape of someone who they claim is teaching the Native American Indian Fighting Arts. I just love how TRS promotes these guys. That company is one of the most persuasive. I'm just glad when I trusted them regarding Vladimir. Here's the link:

http://www.trsdirect.com/instructor.php?id=Brown

If anyone decides to take the risk, please post a review

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I think I'll save my my money....

The most feared... most respected... and most hyper-skilled fighter who ever walked this earth... was the American Indian. In fact, the lowliest Comanche warrior could wipe out an entire troop of "civilized" soldiers all on his lonesome.

Uh huh.... someone didn't tell that to the US cavalry.

Personally, I think TRS adds would be helped by the overall banning of words: savage, brutal, hyper, lethal, and vicious. :shrug:

Lamont

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I found Randall Brown's website http://www.akumu.com/inaboutus.html

Randall is the guy in the TRS video. It sounds like he is not 100% happy about the ad tatics that TRS uses.

The advertisements concerning the video may or may not accurately depict its message and or contents, as I have very little control over that. But I believe that the video when viewed stands on its own merit as a valid representation of historical Native fighting skills. These methods are quite unique and to my knowledge are being viewed by the public for the first time in hundreds of years. Judging by the emails that I have received from viewers, the video is being well received.
This was from his website.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and ordered the Plains Indian Fighting Methods tapes today. I will be happy to post a review soon.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was reading this ad today. Well he's a 12th dan grandmaster, certified to teach in 6 other arts as well as being a

4th Degree in Yondan:confused: :rofl: :shrug:

Yeah. I'd almost pay the 75 bucks to see it.

OP
L

lost_tortoise

I grew up in Rochester, New York and spent a great deal of time on the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation (being part Seneca myself and my grandfather having many friends there.) The Iriquois were not as prone to wandering as the plains indians and therefore had more systemized ways of living. I learned to wrestle there and even the youngest were fairly brutal fighters. Also, LaCrosse was something of a fighting art as much as it was a sport (this was back in the seventies, I cannot speak to how it is now.) I don't think the combat techniques had a name, but they definitely existed...after all, learning them as a youngster was what planted the seed for my lifelong interest in the martial arts! I remember those times fondly and if this post should find anyone who was there back then, I thank you and wish you all the best on your journey.

lost (little) tortoise

OP
Z

zen_hydra

My family is descended from the Powhatan people. One of my brothers big martial arts goals is to one day create a series of kung fu forms based around North American animals with influence from native myths. So, for example, a coyote form might imitate the quickness, and playfulness of a coyote, but also the deceitfulness, and trickery of Grandfather Coyote.

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

does any one have any information on the central american(ie maya, huaztecas, and olmecas), or seminole systems. Ive only seen the central american stuff once when I was in mexico visiting family. And I have only read of the seminole ways as a foot note from one of my antropology books.

Any Info you guys might have would be appreciated.

manofleisure

White Belt
Reaction score
I think this would also be a good thread to discuss central/south american indian martial arts.The MA of the Iynca,Aztec,Mayan et cetra.

I doubt we will find anyone with any real info on this subject,but I would think that warrior peoples like the Aztecs would have some type of fighting techniques of their own.

If anything I wouldlike to see how a mayan war sword was fought with.Did they just flail the dam thing around?

Latest Discussions