National Geographic mpeg on Dillman & Co.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
Why can't he crawl back under the rock from whence he came. He needs to leave the martial arts to the martial artists.
That's a little unnecessary. If you've ever seen any of his books, you'll find some pretty good tuite/grappling techniques. If you don't believe in chi, then that's fine...it's not exactly the key to the so-called "Dillman method" anyway; pressure points are. Take up the questions about chi with the folks at the Tai Chi/Qigong Forum on this site. But if you think that his entire style is a waste of time because one specific thing that he was teaching as a demo for NG didn't work, then I guess Tae Kwon Do is a waste because I can't do the splits. Try to look at the whole picture. I'm taking a chance posting in resistent territory here without seeing the video, so let me know if Dillman said anything in the video that indicates that using the dark side of the Force a the key to his organization; it's just that I've never seen a chapter on unarmed defence against a lightsaber or anything else that crazy in a Dillman book.

Wish I could have seen the video. Is it posted anywhere else that you know of?

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt said:
Remy Presas was really nice, and taught a great segment emphasizing the trapping involved in Modern Arnis with both stick and empty hand, moving like a man easily 20 years younger.

Matt

Yup, Remy could rock with the best of them! Where was the seminar being held?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
I'm taking a chance posting in resistent territory here without seeing the video
The video is an embarrassment to any serious martial artist. The problem is, when you take someone like Dillman, who has been around a long time and gotten a lot of exposure over the years, and has trained with celebrities in the past, the typical non-MAist will tend to view him as an "ambassador" to MA, and representative of what is being taught in the average dojo/dojang.
I have no opinions either way about Mr. Dillman's past teachings, accomplishments, or styles, but it's hard enough to get serious students as it is without someone with his level of seniority using a vehicle as respected as Natl Geographic to put on a show that reeks of pure "huckster-ism".

In that context, regardless of his past accomplishments, he has done the martial arts a disservice.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Wish I could have seen the video. Is it posted anywhere else that you know of?

One guy over in e-budo said he'll upload it to his server later this night

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The thing is I do believe in chi but he made it look ridiculous even to someone like me who does believe in it. Never mind a non martial artist who doesnt. I think that the stuff he did in the video was very exaggerated over what is actually possible. He makes it look like the force in star wars.
I can understand people being able to feel chi, as peoples intention to attack without contact, but only as something that you feel quite subtly, not something you could use to KO someone without touching them. If he'd had contact using chi as well as his fist say, then i could believe the knockouts etc easier.

The tongue thing sounds really silly! But I'm sure other aspects of the guy's martial arts probably are up to spec, not having seen him in action apart from this video i don't know all that much about him to be perfectly honest. I was really hoping the scientist would fall unconscious when I first watched it though i have to say.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When it's back up somewhere, please post the link. I forgot to save it when I watched it myself.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Xequat. He does have some good stuff regarding grappling in applications of kata--but the percentage of nonsense has been growing exponentially over the years.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I see what you're saying, Martial Tucker. Good point there.

That's a little different than the previous post about Dillman not being a martial artist, though, so thanks for clarifying that. The thing is, I don't really think that a video like that (and I still haven't seen it) will dissuade anyone from becoming a martial arts student; it just might dissuade them from becoming one of his. If I seriously want to study fighting, then I'm not going to be turned off by a video about chi projection because that's mystical weird stuff, not punches, kicks, and throws. I think most people who are serious actually go to schools and check them out or ask people they know for recommendations. I could be wrong, but I think most people would just see him as practicing something goofy, but not that every martial artist is into the occult or something. I mean, I study under someone who is not in DKI, but associated with DKI, and I've been to one Dillman seminar. I don't practice no-touch KO's and they weren't even mentioned at the seminar, so I hardly think it's a key component of Dillman's method.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xequat said:
That's a little unnecessary. If you've ever seen any of his books, you'll find some pretty good tuite/grappling techniques. If you don't believe in chi, then that's fine...it's not exactly the key to the so-called "Dillman method" anyway; pressure points are. Take up the questions about chi with the folks at the Tai Chi/Qigong Forum on this site. But if you think that his entire style is a waste of time because one specific thing that he was teaching as a demo for NG didn't work, then I guess Tae Kwon Do is a waste because I can't do the splits.
The splits are just as effective as a fighting technique as what Dillman was attempting to demonstrate.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me chime in real quick, first of all National Geograghic came up to Mr. Dillman telling them that they are believers and wanted to see the "death touch" what they did was show only a small part of what actually took place. While I have to admit the video does not show DKI in good light, NG did that on purpose the way that Mr. Dillman was told that they would do the segment was totally different than what they did. Other than that I really have nothing else to say.

sincerely
Joe Morris

K

kenpochad

Chi balls could come in handy in bad traffic.

icon10.gif

G

Gavin King

RRouuselot said:
Someone has obviously alerted them to this thread and they have taken it down.
From their website:
Hi all my name is Gavin and I run the site the clip was on. I know someone has already mentioned that it was a bandwidth issue as to why the file was removed. I just want to clarify that we're not linked to the DKI in any way, and I've even removed the link to Dillmans site from our homepage in response to this clip. The only reason the clip was taken down was I just can't afford the bandwidth, it was only meant for the fightingarts.com guys but spread like wild fire over the internet.

Should anyone want a copy please come over to fightingarts.com and PM me. We've got a really nice chap who was actually there when this was being filmed discussing the video and I'm currently waiting on a response from regards to some issues I have with the DKI. Anyone is welcome to participate, especially if you of the DKI leaning! :)

The thread is here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15777181/an/0/page/0#15777181

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TimoS said:
Wouldn't it be the same if we just PM you here ?

No-touch knockouts delivered via PM...I like it. We'll call it MartialTalk-Do, the KeyBoard Death Touch. Very deadly.

T

TheBattousai

Oh No! Not The KeyBoard Death Touch! What a terrible fate to happen to those that can do that. Between this and the five point palm, exploding heart techinque, I'm doomed! WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!

Yeah, a bit overdramatized but with that no touch stuff, that is something everyone should expect, over the top and full of junk.

P.S. To Rob Broad, very funny stuff. Thanks for that laugh.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Oh No! Not The KeyBoard Death Touch! What a terrible fate to happen to those that can do that. Between this and the five point palm, exploding heart techinque, I'm doomed! WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!

Yeah, a bit overdramatized but with that no touch stuff, that is something everyone should expect, over the top and full of junk.

P.S. To Rob Broad, very funny stuff. Thanks for that laugh.

Haha, I heard Bruce Calkins shows that move on his website...any takers?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
No-touch knockouts delivered via PM...I like it. We'll call it MartialTalk-Do, the KeyBoard Death Touch. Very deadly.
Naw, already tried on me by many. It doesn't work. (at least not yet.:))

Latest Discussions