Naming your Commercial School?

OP
Yuen Kay Jun

Yuen Kay Jun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
one thought on using the word Academy, if there is a private or public K-12 school called Savannah Academy you could be sued to change the name. it happened to someone i know in my city. he was New England Academy of self defense. the private elementary school New England Academy felt it could be confusing to people and the karate school had to change their name.

from my experience i would want my school name to reflect what the school is about, but be careful. how you see your school name may not be how others see it and to use the words like "combat" might turn people off, parents will not want to send their kids there.

Thanks for the input!

I'm in an Army Community, near a base, the clientele may be gentler on me for it, but I'm not going to take that chance... ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
use the words like "combat" might turn people off, parents will not want to send their kids there.
In one MA tournament, I had seen 3 workshops were offered in the same hall.

- The 1st workshop teacher was teaching, "combat ..." with 4 students.
- The 2nd workshop teacher was teaching a "fan form" with 15 students.
- The 3rd workshop teacher was teaching "Taiji for health" with 20 students.

If money is all you care about, the term "combat" may not meet your business need.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In one MA tournament, I had seen 3 workshops were offered in the same hall.

- The 1st workshop teacher was teaching, "combat ..." with 4 students.
- The 2nd workshop teacher was teaching a "fan form" with 15 students.
- The 3rd workshop teacher was teaching "Taiji for health" with 20 students.

If money is all you care about, the term "combat" may not meet your business need.
Why not cover all the bases?

Deathmaster's Spiritual Institute of Combat Krav Maga for Health and Fitness

It's got a ring to it, don't you think?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thought on using the word Academy, if there is a private or public K-12 school called Savannah Academy you could be sued to change the name. it happened to someone i know in my city. he was New England Academy of self defense. the private elementary school New England Academy felt it could be confusing to people and the karate school had to change their name.

from my experience i would want my school name to reflect what the school is about, but be careful. how you see your school name may not be how others see it and to use the words like "combat" might turn people off, parents will not want to send their kids there.
Kung Fu Academy of Savannah is more adaptable, anyway. If the OP were to somehow end up starting a second school in another town not too far away (say, Augusta), he could call it Kung Fu Academy of Augusta. And neither name would likely run afoul of a private school.

Latest Discussions