Naming Your Bo Staff?

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love my bo staff, I take it everywhere with me, even my job where I need security clearance and I'm locked away from the rest of the building in a whole other area. I really enjoy practicing with it, it's good and heavy and helps build strength in my arms at my very sedentary career. Like many others I placed my initials on it and colorful tape to mark ownership, but I was asked the other day if I had named it. And no. I then realized I haven't really named much of anything, not even a cutesy pet name for a love interest.

Does anyone have a name for their bo staff? Or any other weapon or inanimate object?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don't name my staff. Or most any other tool.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I name my children. I name my pets. I even named a truck once, but only because I had been invited to compete in Four Wheeler Magazines Real Truck Challenge, and they wanted a name - one of my buddies came up with TyRAMasaurus Rex.
I've never named a stick. Or a sword. Or a knife. Or a computer.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Naming a bo staff... would that be the same as naming a cooking grill or an automobile car? :D

Seriously no... it's a tool at best that will last me about a year before it's replaced if it makes it that long.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I have to admit I've named computers, since that is required for networking...

And they're incredibly subtle names too. "Sues Laptop", "Marks Desktop", "Marks Laptop", "Marks iPad", "Sue's iPhone" "Shared Printer", etc...

OP
T

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Naming computers did remind me...in the 80's we had a Chrysler Laser (think Knight Rider car) that had a talking computer in the dash. We named it George, and when George broke and repeated, "Your passenger door is ajar" for 350 miles while driving in the humid SE, we replaced him with Larry.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I think your car would have reminded me more of a HAL...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hahaha...sadly the voice is nearly identical from what I remember. I was trying to sabotage my friend's new Ford Escape that has a speaking computer, but it is like Hal in that it uses speech recognition and wouldn't take any of my commands.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the way you think, great idea I also enjoy bo staffs especially my two favorite ones a purpleheart wood bo and my ashwood bo staff but back to the question at hand, no I don't have a name for my bo /unique question though sounds cool)

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kids, cars, computers, musical instruments....yes. Never thought about naming a stick though.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe we had a named stick in this house a time or two....but I have a kookie kid...

I have a hard time naming pets...hardly name a pokemon....a stick? Not that much imagination.

But if you are inclined to come up with a name, if only to shut people up, do browse the various fantasy games (Like WoW) as they have to make distinctions between the million items they have in-game...there are some good ones there, like the very many staff

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As to the naming of your bo.

Why not call it "bo-bo" since bo/staff mean the same thing? I think a bo staff was named by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

Sorry one of those little quirks of mine, even though many people say it this way.

Off to go practice with my katana sword....

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work with a couple of guys one is named Wood and the other is Doc (true story). Every day they greet each other by saying "Morning Wood" "Whats up Doc"....LOL Cracks me up every time. Man if you want to name your bo staff I say go for it, it's yours do what you want.

OP
T

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually not inclined to name it, and if I did name it, it would probably be a horrible name as now I recall my nickname for my youngest daughter, "Lizard Monkey Brain" and my former neighbor, "Crotchety Ole Miser" and I will keep quiet my names I have in my head for some of my old bosses.

It was just the look I received when asked if I had named it that made me ponder if I was leaning left of the bell curve again.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Billy" club & "Bubba" stik:

yhst-15908389852112_2267_15074769

BBSFront2.jpg

Latest Discussions