Names and methaphors in Karate

M

Mads Nørby

Wondering if anybody have had any experience with names and methaphors in Karatetechniquies/moves.

I know that American Kenpo and similar styles use names in order to give the student a clue about it´s elements. e.g. covering flame, striking mace, and soforth.

Patrick McCharthy uses them about the "traditional" series and techniquies, in the Bubishi he uses/translated several like, monkey pics the fruit, emeperor holding the seal and soforth.

Javier Martinez refers to them in his books on the Isshinryu katas and Tuite.

I´m interested in if it could give any new dimensions of ones understanding within the katas and general techniquies.

OP
Y

yilisifu

Sometimes such names simply act as a description of the technique/posture. That is, you "look like" the name of the technique.

Other names sometimes carry a special meaning, inferring how the technique is really performed.

It depends on the name. Do you have any specific techniques or names in mind?

OP
M

Mads Nørby

I was mainly thinking on the names which have their origin from ancient warrior texts like the Bubishi.

I know that names are frequently used and invented by serveral styles. They use it as a remindertool, i know that.

I was just interested if somebody have had any experience with it on the researching side of the martial arts.

Besides the elements/techniques within the Okinawan kata´s I dont have any specific names i´m looking for.

Latest Discussions