Name of technique?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps you're right. It could be that way.
I guess it will depend on the size of your hands and the size of your enemy's face.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Unless you have massive hands and can grip on to the eyeballs like handles. Then the action of going for one or the other would conflict a bit.

You are pushing up with the palm and down with the fingers.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the back of the sofa.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In CMA, it's called "托(Tuo) – chin pushing".

Chang_chin_push.jpg

I love that photo!

Note the lock on the elbow, which keeps the opponent from falling away. What I have been shown is that where the chin gets pointed, that's where they fall.

From this position, the person doing the technique could push across his body with his left, advance his right until the opponent's chin is in the crook of the elbow, and then drop him into a rear naked choke.

Or not! There are so many things that can be done from here....

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Unless you have massive hands and can grip on to the eyeballs like handles. Then the action of going for one or the other would conflict a bit.

You are pushing up with the palm and down with the fingers.

Not at all. Try it. It's quite easy to place the heel of your palm under the chin while curling the fingers into the eyes. I don't have massive hands.
Try it on your own face right now, even. It should be an easy reach.

"Re-stomp the groin"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not at all. Try it. It's quite easy to place the heel of your palm under the chin while curling the fingers into the eyes. I don't have massive hands.
Try it on your own face right now, even. It should be an easy reach.

"Re-stomp the groin"

You can reach but what are you going for. If you are working the palm under the chin. You fingers hace to go backwards. If you are working the fingers in the eyes. Then the palm goes backwards.

You are defending you own move by trying to do both at once.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fingers should be in the eyes at this point.
Oh...and always re-stomp the groin.

In the Hapkido I learned, we use this in several techniques. And we are taught to put our fingers in the eyes and poke and scrape the eyes.

Edit: Think Tiger Claw.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you push up your opponent's chin, your fingers won't be able to reach to his eyes. When you use your whole palm to cover his face so your fingers can reach to his eyes and your palm can smash on his nose, that's different move. In CMA, that's called "摀(Wu) – face covering".

We are taught to, in one fluid motion, strike upward on the chin, and if necessary, move the palm up just enough (keeping pressure on the lower point of the chin) to place the fingers in the eyes. Practiced enough, it works effectively.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can reach but what are you going for. If you are working the palm under the chin. You fingers hace to go backwards. If you are working the fingers in the eyes. Then the palm goes backwards.

You are defending you own move by trying to do both at once.

FWIW, I initially commented just trying to be casually funny; however, as the discussion became serious I do want to point out that I am not in anyway trying to criticize anyone's technique and certainly not the past masters.

Personally, I don't find reaching the chin and eyes simultaneously to be difficult, but I understand that a fight is constantly in motion. So you may or may not be able to reach a specific target in a given moment. Also, I understand that you may choose the level of brutality you are using. Eye gouging is certainly a brutal technique and one may choose to simply throw an opponent rather than blind him.

"Re-stomp the groin"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
FWIW, I initially commented just trying to be casually funny; however, as the discussion became serious I do want to point out that I am not in anyway trying to criticize anyone's technique and certainly not the past masters.

Personally, I don't find reaching the chin and eyes simultaneously to be difficult, but I understand that a fight is constantly in motion. So you may or may not be able to reach a specific target in a given moment. Also, I understand that you may choose the level of brutality you are using. Eye gouging is certainly a brutal technique and one may choose to simply throw an opponent rather than blind him.

"Re-stomp the groin"

You can reach their eyes but to properly eye gouge someone you need an anchor to support the movement.

You can do it. Just put on a set of safety glasses or something.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you guys would just practice this stuff, it is simple. Chin-push, fingers in the eyes, and then... wait for it... You take a right turn, with your fingers, and pop him in the eye with your thumb. It is like a mini-groin stomp, before the actual groin stomp. :)

Latest Discussions