Naihanchi Kata

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am familiar with the kata, but I am not familar with the reason the Kajukenbo
practioners call it the "Dance Of Death".

The first time I heard of it being called that was years ago, I just kind of forgot about it, then when I noticed it was the Kata that was used at the Funeral of John Leoning, (back in 1977) I was surprised but still not seeking the knowledge that I am now.
Could someone elaborate on it?

I just got the Tape on Choke Motobu regarding the Kata.
It shows only two parts, I have been instructed in three...
Regards, Gary

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't really do "Naihanchi" kata in Kajukenbo. Our "Palama Set 11" (formerly called "Pinion 11") is very similar to "Naihanchi Shodan". As long as I can remember it's always been called "Dance of Death", but I've never really heard the reason why. It's also been called the "Monkey Dance". I know that is because Choki Motobu had the nickname "Saru" which is monkey in english.

O

OC Kid

I dont know the Kaji form. I do know a japanese form all 3 in fact. I think (and Im guessing here) its called that because it actually does look like a dance. For someone who dont actually know what it is.

OP
GAB

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sigung John.

Thank you for the information, you did bring back a memory there.

I am going to try and find out about it, do you think I could get the information from Sijo Emperado or his daughter?? I will try if I can??? Could you tell me is his daughter the Hanshi now???

Regards, Gary

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This coming weekend we'll be having Sijo Emperado's annual birthday luau and tournament at the Tropicana in Las Vegas. If I remember to ask Sijo about it I will.
I don't think any of Sijo's daughters actively practice the martial arts. You may be thinking of his younger sister, "Dechi Emperado". I'm not familier with the meaning of the Japanese title "Hanshi". In Kajukenbo we use Chinese titles along with the Americanized titles of "Professor" and "Grandmaster". Dechi is a 9th degree, so her title is "Grandmaster". You could contact her at: [email protected]

OP
GAB

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sigung Jonh Bishop,
I think I should have known that, I get so used to thinking Hanshi when talking about the position of leadership in an organization...I guess it comes from being around Japanese Practioners so much any more, I will have to keep it in mind..
I have taken up Kali recently and they use the Term Guro for the position of instructor, but the person is really the head of his organization, I guess he feels more comfortable with the title. The person who I am talking about is Guro Dan Inosanto.. Titles, I think I should just stay inside of one organization, it would be a lot less to think about.. I was just getting a book on Choki Motobu from Patrick McCarthy I noticed his e-mail is Bujin, Anyhow hopefully you get the idea??

I have to Thank You again for the information, Take care, Regards, Gary

OP
GAB

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sigung John Bishop,
I guess last night I was not thinking clearly, Rambling on, I get a thought and forget other things..
If you remember to ask Sijo Emperado about the Kata, Please give him my regards and tell him thanks for Kajukenbo, it sure came in handy when I was in need of it. (believe me when I tell you I have used it numerous times).
I will contact the E-mail you gave me.
Take care, Regards, Gary

Latest Discussions