Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, that was a great video

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That video was tight! I really think that the overall length of the naginata would have won out in the end. That is one weapon I have ALWAYS wanted to train. The only thing I can find, though, is videos...:(

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always thought it'd be a sweet weapon, as well. Couldn't you modify bo forms to the naginata? Seems to me they'd have quite a bit in common.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
That video was tight! I really think that the overall length of the naginata would have won out in the end.
Not necessarily. I would say that either one could defeat the other, it is just a matter of who controls the battlefield.

upnorthkyosa said:
That is one weapon I have ALWAYS wanted to train. The only thing I can find, though, is videos...:(
Not to make light of the naginata, but it is a bo with a blade on the end. So it would seem to me that if you are already familiar with a bo, you shouldn't have much issue with the naginata or the yari.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I always thought it'd be a sweet weapon, as well. Couldn't you modify bo forms to the naginata? Seems to me they'd have quite a bit in common.

Ooops I didn't see this. Yes, I believe, every motion you do with the bo you can do with the Naginata or yari.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Ooops I didn't see this. Yes, I believe, every motion you do with the bo you can do with the Naginata or yari.

I've heard from people who practice Naginata-do that this was not the case. The blade changes everything, I guess. I'm not sure how though...:idunno:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Not necessarily. I would say that either one could defeat the other, it is just a matter of who controls the battlefield.

There is a distinct advantage offered by the longer reach of the naginata. I think that if two equally skilled combatants went at it, the naginata would come out on top because of it. I seem to remember reading that this was the case, somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
There is a distinct advantage offered by the longer reach of the naginata. I think that if two equally skilled combatants went at it, the naginata would come out on top because of it. I seem to remember reading that this was the case, somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up...
The length is a definitely a nice factor for one side, but that only gets one so far. I wouldn't be so caught up with the length, of the naginata. Additionally, the only real damaging part of the naginata is either end of it, get beyond that and the advantage diminishes quickly.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I've heard from people who practice Naginata-do that this was not the case. The blade changes everything, I guess. I'm not sure how though...:idunno:

I don't see how it changes significantly, but I am not a master of the naginata. :idunno:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:

Well, in battlefield terms the katana was the third weapon of choice behind the bow and yari. Range matters.

Lamont

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
well it is a decent clip but I'm not impressed overall. I didn't particularly care for the guy's cavalier attitude with him turning his back and walking away numerous times and to be honest.

I really do not believe that the naginata was used to the best of it's ability which is a "long range weapon". The guy allowed the katana dude to get in too close at times imo

Delta

White Belt
Reaction score
Deaf said:
well it is a decent clip but I'm not impressed overall. I didn't particularly care for the guy's cavalier attitude with him turning his back and walking away numerous times and to be honest.

I really do not believe that the naginata was used to the best of it's ability which is a "long range weapon". The guy allowed the katana dude to get in too close at times imo

Hello All,

I'm the 'katana dude' in the clip. I would like to point out a few things to address deafs comments

As to Sensei Lefebvre turning his back to me many times in the vid that is because we would enter the close quarters range where grappling would occur (Him using the weapon to lock and throw me and with me trying to clear obstacles ie the weapon or his arms in order to make a kill shot) that was not the purpose of the demo we were doing. The purpose was to simply show the two weapons fighting. The reason he would turn around and walk away would be to 'reset' and start at long range. As we all know real fights with weapons do not look like what the movies tell us they would. It's quick, fast and over in seconds. Sensei Lefebvre was simply allowing us to continue the game.

As to the naginata not being used as a long range weapon. Do bare in mind that it was my job, with having the shorter weapon to get in close to be more effective. To have simply stood out at long range and tried to duel with Sensei Lefebvre would not have shown how the fight might have looked. He was hitting me, make no mistake, as he is my teacher and any tactic, technique, or trick I know, I know from him. My goal at long range was to push the weapon away in order to let me advance or to take his hands out. Which I got a time or two as his pinkie will tell you that day.

Also, on a final note. Both weapons are made from hickory. The goal of the game we both were playing was to not in fact get hurt while trying to hit each other. This is how we usually warmed up on Saturday mornings before the actual training started. It was control combat. There were lines we did not cross such as entering and trying to go for kill shots or throws as the risk of injury was high. We had other ways to train for those.

I can appreciate your perspective on the video but I thought it might help to expand on some of your points.

Bufu Ikkan,

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nicholas,

Thank you for the clarifications. Watching video without knowing the true intent of what is trying to be shown within the video does cause for "different preceptions" of what is happening.

So thank you once again for the claification.

Latest Discussions