All right girls and boys, comment away.
I already see errors I need to correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I already see errors I need to correct.
That's cool, Ken. I can't comment on errors or anything. Far as I could tell, you looked great, very controlled. How long have you been swinging a sword?

Last edited by a moderator:

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The lighting sucks! :)

Never done ZNKR seitei, so I can't comment on correctness. Looked pretty good from my perspective. What I really liked though is that I did a seminar with Kim many years ago, and I've seen him do embu several times. I can see his iai in you. Very nice!

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
13 years....

Yeah even i can see some Kim in my technique, that's only to be expected though. We mimic our teachers. Hopefully considering Haruna Sensei was one of Kim's teachers, I have a bit of him in me as well!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice pair of swordsmans' forearms Ken :D (for the non-swordsman viewers, we all end up with Popeye forearms after a few years of slinging steel :)).

Couldn't you find some real Iai to do? :angel: {Ken and I differ in our opinions of Seitei :lol:}.

More seriously, as with Mr. Smith, I am not really qualified to critique other than in general terms because I have not made a study of Seitei; plus you've been at this game a bit longer than me so it would be cheeky of me to point anything out :eek:.

EDIT: Oh and Musashi tsuba FTW :)

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You forget I use to do some bodybuilding back in the day….part of my problem, way too much strength, not enough, finesse. A couple of places I almost lost my balance, slippery floor.

I can add some Omori if you’re willing to add your own Suk…? :)

But you know what? It’s all swordsmanship, it’s all practice, it’s all good. Anyone who has been in the game a while can recognise “good” swordsmanship from bad, even if they have never seen the school before. Feel free to judge.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Ken,

You know, it's no fun when you post a video that is of that quality... there's almost nothing to comment on! Tiny things, really, some overt tension in your shoulders/upper back, raising up on occasion, and so on, but I'm sure Kim (and yourself!) would have gotten there before me!

Quick question, though, what is your targeting on the first cut in Mae? It seems a lot lower than the way I was taught.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All through the video little things were going wrong, that floor is slippery as hell, not good for iai!

Yeah I noticed in the video that the opening cuts on Mae and ushiro are very low. I don’t cut as low as it appears, I wonder if it was the camera angle? It looks like I’m taking a knee instead of a forehead. Kim would have kicked my *** if I had been cutting that low, I’ll have to check what I do next practice.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video. Nice! As with any of us doing iai there is always and I do mean always some thing to work on! ;) Of course that is what makes it fun! :)

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. Iai is one of those arts where you can never achieve perfection, it's impossible, and so the journey continues for us all.

Fun?? As Kim always says. "iaido is like watching paint dry".

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You forget I use to do some bodybuilding back in the day….part of my problem, way too much strength, not enough, finesse.
That is still my biggest problem, and I attribute it to my old bodybuilding days. I have a tendency to use way more upper body than I should. My wife tells me that life would be boring if I was perfect, but I'd sure like the opportunity to find that out for myself! :)

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nice pair of swordsmans' forearms Ken :D (for the non-swordsman viewers, we all end up with Popeye forearms after a few years of slinging steel :)).
Hahaha Even the ladies too. Its funny to see pictures of myself before I started steel slinging to see how skinny my forearms were. :) Thanks for sharing though.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a sword expert but I thought you looked great. Fantastic control :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest Discussions