My style doesn't have this

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your form (text books) doesn't contain "flying side kick" but you tell your students that your style has "flying side kick", how can you prove it?
As far as I know Jow Ga isn't passed down through text books. If the instructor says it's their then you have to either accept it as truth or reject it as truth. Being that they are Sifu and I'm not. I don't have room to stay what it has and what it doesn't have.

For the school I was in. The Sifu was open about what was Jow Ga and what wasn't Jow Ga. It was nothing to be ashamed of saying. "Today we are going to learn a form a different system that I think will help you with your Jow Ga."

From what I can tell there are plenty of things that aren't in our forms that are part of Jow Ga that aren't in the form. Wrist locks and Chi Na are a part of Jow Ga but most of those techniques aren't in the forms. Most of those techniques are learned outside of a form in 2 man drills.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like to see training like this. This is how training should look like lots of failures, with a lot of "Try Again". Mixed with "I finally got it"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black belt testing I watched was from a variety of schools. If you were offended that I didn't clarify the difference between my TKD experience and all TKD experiences, then so be it. Sorry if you thought I was insulting your art. I actually wasn't.

You can't insult an art. Arts don't have feelings. Your experience is very limited, and your statement incorrect. That's all there is to it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's showing one video showing 1 technique. I can't be quick to say there's no grappling. It's like saying my shadow boxing training sucks based off that one or 2 videos that I posted. Grappling training in school that I taught looks similar to that, during training. We go through the motions in a drill like manner and then move to the application of it. It doesn't look like BJJ or Judo where the drill and application are done as one.

If you saw how I train my throws, take downs and grappling in Jow Ga you would say the same thing. But if you watch me in the video you will see that I'm not as robotic or artificial.

That was the ugliest double leg I have ever seen trained in my life.

That literally made my eyes hurt.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was the ugliest double leg I have ever seen trained in my life.

That literally made my eyes hurt.
yeah it was bad. I won't lie, my old school had some bad ones as well. My guess is that a lot of striking schools are going to be similar in that manner. I wouldn't expect a striking school to have the same quality ground skills as BJJ, wrestling, or Judo.

The guy in the strike shirt come from a TKD background. He broke the Jow Ga's instructors ribs that day at 0:15. We were on a padded floor and it still caused damaged. This will make your eyes hurt. You may get a few chuckles, but it is what it is. By the way the clips aren't in the order that the sparring actually happened.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could you give more detail on this?

Also please give your reason for why you are saying this.
No level change, Hips are back and not under the body. This puts a lot of stress on the lower back and give the defender a great platform to sprawl on. Arms should lace around arm with hands around the calfs to takeaway the sprawl. The person doing the takedown should be driving through the other and not pulling on the legs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you give more detail on this?

Also please give your reason for why you are saying this.

Ok.

This is the common mistakes made when doing a double leg.

Dot only did they commit pretty much all of them. Bad posture, no penetration, using the arms to drag. They invented new ones that nobody had thought of like double legging so the other guy is forced to have guard. Or just jamming your head in their belly.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok.

This is the common mistakes made when doing a double leg.

Dot only did they commit pretty much all of them. Bad posture, no penetration, using the arms to drag. They invented new ones that nobody had thought of like double legging so the other guy is forced to have guard. Or just jamming your head in their belly.
Good video. The only thing I'd add is there is the double leg with a flair as shown and the blast double with the head on the inside vs the outside. On the blast double it's important to trap the legs together as the takedown happens preventing the opponent to pull guard.

Latest Discussions