My strong points

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will like to make this post about Manny's strong points inside Martial Arts. Right now at 47 yers old I am not as fast or strong as or flexible as I was 20-25 years ago, however I am a little wiser now than when I was a teen for example. Yes right now I can't kick high to drop others head and yes I am not as quick so i need to sneak and wait for an opening but my strong poits are: My low and midle kicks, they are powerfull enough to hurt, my sweeps and takedowns, my grabs to take of balance and the way I manipulate people to put them in a weird place where I can kik them or punch them.

So I am not fancy just practical.

Manny

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well said. Head kicking and high kicking are not necessarily the same thing! Your approach to Taekwondo as a martial art seems very structured with strong applied basics, which I think is awesome.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Basics will be basics yesterday, today and tomorrow. Maybe I was caught on the 70's or 80's but that kind of TKD as been always good enough. Now I need to reasume tkd sessions.

Manny

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have always been a sucker for the basics. It is good that you insist on function in an art somewhat known for fancy and flash. I think this is a good thing. Power to you.

Drakanyst

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
manny, it looks like you are in perfect form for hosinsur [oh man am i bad at romanized korean]. how is your practical self defense application?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
manny, it looks like you are in perfect form for hosinsur [oh man am i bad at romanized korean]. how is your practical self defense application?

Well my practical self defense aplication is very simple, power that's all. I am not so flexible anymore, I am not quick anymore that's why I wait for an opening and take advantage of my size. I like to grab and take down the oponent and try to finishing in the floor by a punch or a kick. When I was practicing Kenpo Karate my instructor told me I was good grabbing,pulling and taking of balance and my Kenpo was very good at this.

I am more a counter than a ofender, I love to sweep, to trow and to use locks and take downs, so I use to counter with a blow to shake the other guy a little to then grab him ans take him down and finish him.

I like to be 50/50 on kicking/punching and yes I like to grab, something I don't like is to fight at floor level I am not god at this however I know some moves to defende myself if need it.

El Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well my practical self defense aplication is very simple, power that's all. I am not so flexible anymore, I am not quick anymore that's why I wait for an opening and take advantage of my size. I like to grab and take down the oponent and try to finishing in the floor by a punch or a kick. When I was practicing Kenpo Karate my instructor told me I was good grabbing,pulling and taking of balance and my Kenpo was very good at this.

I am more a counter than a ofender, I love to sweep, to trow and to use locks and take downs, so I use to counter with a blow to shake the other guy a little to then grab him ans take him down and finish him.

I like to be 50/50 on kicking/punching and yes I like to grab, something I don't like is to fight at floor level I am not god at this however I know some moves to defende myself if need it.

El Manny

Some thing I want to ad is that I know some techs from aikido and judo, not many but enough to couple with my kicking/striking techs.

Drakanyst

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aha apparently internet explorer won't let me use the quote function.
It sounds like you have a good system working for you 8D

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Aha apparently internet explorer won't let me use the quote function.
It sounds like you have a good system working for you 8D

You're using Internet Explorer? Dude. Please, get something else. Anything. The US and German governments have officially recommended against using Internet Explorer to anyone who didn't already know. xD Surprisingly, the fact that internet explorer is still used by some people is a problem for web designers because it's so obsolete. They need to specially design their site to be compatible with both Internet Explorer and all the other browsers. In other words, Internet Explorer has been holding back websites' potential for a long time. Some websites nowadays have just given up on making it work for their site.
There are plenty of geek jokes about this. Get Firefox or Chrome. Those are pretty popular. Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer.

iu

Drakanyst

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
haha spare me the lecture.
sentiment appreciated, but i
was using my gym's computer. in korea they mostly use ie and half a truckload of security additions to it that we don't get. i solely use chrome myself.

Latest Discussions