My punch is fast?

Legendary Fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
Last edited:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm 16 years, and training a lot, at home and in the academy...I train strength, speed and explosiveness of my punches, and here I show the speed only... is fast or not? just answer me this...

I not have nor 5 months of training of wing chun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLbemOUr6DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZuJV-75Vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9upKIk376s

T
hanks!

Such innocence of youth ... sigh ...

Being that new to WC, my advise to you is not to fixate on how good you can get of any one technique. Put you time and efforts into learning correctly and to attaining an good foundation instead ... just as you had to learn to crawl before you learn to pull yourself up, and then learn to walk.

And no ... your not as fast as you think, hope I didn't burst your bubble.

Welcome the the forum my friend.:asian:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
respectable, but don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Don't get satisfied with yourself, keep going....and SLOW DOWN. and work on smoothness and relaxation or you will never be truly fast

OP
L

Legendary Fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
respectable, but don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Don't get satisfied with yourself, keep going....and SLOW DOWN. and work on smoothness and relaxation or you will never be truly fast

I'm not pleased with me, even why we always have to improve... I just asked about my current speed.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You look like you have good attributes, and if you stick to it, I would expect that you will be very good in the years to come.
I know what it's like...everybody wants to be fast, just give it time, don't force it and it will be there.

What lineage of WC do you train in?

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Looks like your tensing up a little bit, maybe because it's show time, I think you could loosen up a little, and like the others said, work on doing things properly with a solid foundation at least as much as speed/power. Cheers!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not bad for a young fella , speed is good , but relaxation and correct positioning will beat speed every time.As has already been mentioned , let go of the tension , particularly in the shoulders and hands.Being tense in the shoulders is causing disruption to the rest of your body , this is manifested in your hips and feet moving around.Sink down , maintain pelvic tilt , slow down and open and close the hand with each punch so that it is nice and relaxed , tension in the hands will radiate all the way up to the shoulders.Excuse my lack of paragraphs I am using my wife's IPad thingy and I don't know what I am doing.

OP
L

Legendary Fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
then the speed is good ...Thanks for the advice on posture, I use them to improve

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
then the speed is good ...Thanks for the advice on posture, I use them to improve
I meant that there are other things to consider , your speed is ok , it is consistent with the time you have been training.Just don't forget to work on your stance and use your body weight when you strike.Someone with a good stance who has learned to coordinate their mass with their strike can be half as fast as you , but generate twice the power with their strikes.If you weigh 70 kilos , you want to be putting that 70 kilos into your punches.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's quality, not quantity. Accuracy and power in my opinion is more important than speed. But a well balance of all three is very hard for someone to deal with.

Jake

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm 16 years, and training a lot, at home and in the academy...I train strength, speed and explosiveness of my punches, and here I show the speed only... is fast or not? just answer me this...

I not have nor 5 months of training of wing chun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLbemOUr6DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZuJV-75Vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9upKIk376s

T
hanks!

Hey! You've got good fast punches...especially for a relatively new student. Also, I checked out your Dai-Sifu and it looks like you belong to an offshoot branch of "WT" Wing Tsun in Europe. A number of us on this forum come from different branches of WT also, so our approaches may be similar. It will be fun having you aboard.

OP
L

Legendary Fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
It's quality, not quantity. Accuracy and power in my opinion is more important than speed. But a well balance of all three is very hard for someone to deal with.

Jake

I' training power, speed, explosion, etc...

My training is;

morning;

10x of 20 flexões with fists
15x of 100 abdominal
much punch as I can in 30 seconds, rested 10 seg, repeating 8x

afternoon;

4x of 10 flexion with fists jumping
much punch as I can in 30 seconds, rested 10 seg, repeating 8x
4x of 100 exercise for strengthening the back

do other exercises in the academy... and rest two days.

Thanks geezer

I'm brazilian, I train in ISMA...

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's all good training. But I was speaking about generating power through proper structure/ body mechanics. Which does take time. The speed part is great and it looks like you are pretty good in that department. Problem is speed w/o intent is not enough in a fight. In fights I have been in, one or two good solid punches to an opponents chin will slow them down if not end a fight. Pain has a funny way of slowing someone down. Like Mook said proper alignment aka (knee hip elbow) will increase the power of your punch.

Jake

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, your not as fast as you think you are. HOWEVER, for the amount of experience you claim to have, its around Average, so its fine.
I will say, although im pretty sure itll have already been said...
Relax.
Improve the Stance/Posture.
Control your Breathing a Touch Better.
Post another Video in a couple of weeks time talking about how you cant believe you were fast at all back here, and that you cant imagine making all the mistakes you were, and then have a massive revelation about the core mechanics of Training and improvement over time.

:)

OP
L

Legendary Fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Jake104

talking about the power of my punch, I've been able to throw a kid my age and height to the floor... can see in my video, I even force posture, because it is strong the punch. I had posted a video of a master here, he tells me that it's the same with him, it also forces the root, however, is kind of hard, because of the strength of the punch.

it may even appear strange to you, but I practiced other styles of kung fu (a time of 3 months) and I engaged a lot.

we can see that, there are different strains, there are some differences in the punch's of some lineage....

OP
L

Legendary Fighter

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not thinking that is ''fast'' exaggeratedly... just wanted to say that I should be more than a beginner in speed, I say this because I have almost the same speed as master of video and some others.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not thinking that is ''fast'' exaggeratedly... just wanted to say that I should be more than a beginner in speed, I say this because I have almost the same speed as master of video and some others.
Speed =/= Technical Correctness. Im sure you could find many people on here who dont even Practition Wing Chun who can Punch that fast, mayhap in the same way if required. The Devil, as they say, Is In The Details. Anyone can swing their hands forward and back quickly, if shown the basic Technique. Its the Technique that is effective. Time will make this clearer to you.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

"Legendary", I'd give a second look at what Jake posted earlier. It's one thing to be able to throw very fast punches in the air. It's another thing to land powerful punches on target.

After a certain point, "speed" in the sense of velocity is not nearly as important as "relative speed"--that is to say can you use distance, timing and positioning to beat your opponent. A good strategic fighter may have "slower hands" in strict terms of velocity, but may still hit faster, harder and more often. If you dont't believe me, ask your sifu... and, BTW I got this directly from his Escrima ("Escryma" in the ISMA) teacher, GM Rene Latosa!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just don't get so obsessed with speed to the exclusion of everything else , there is a lot more to the equation.
If speed was the governing factor in Wing Chun skill , then the world of Wing Chun would be dominated by all the young bucks with fast hands , but it is not the case.

I will tell you a little story of one of my seniors , a man I greatly admire , a man who moves so fast the human eye has trouble tracking it .

Well he and a few others went to Hong Kong to train with our Sigung , who must of been in his late 60's at the time .
This high level instructor told us that he got to do a bit of Chi Sau sparring with Sigung , and this is what he said about it .

" I know I am faster than him , but everytime I thought I had him , a hand would come from out of no where !"

So of course speed is important , but so is skill and correct positioning .

Latest Discussions