My posts where I mention certain info

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I make a post and mention certain information some people here are under the impression that Im trying to present it as factual and declare it as the truth. I want to point out that that is often not the case. Sometimes I will pick up some information from a source and I will post it here. In doing so I am often checking on the validity of the information to see if its indeed legitimate information or if its misinformation. An example would be some of my posts about swords and other martial arts weapons. I don't know everything about swords and martial arts weapons and I will admit there's people here who are much more knowledgeable on those things than I am and so when I make a post where I post certain declarations Im trying to see how accurate those declarations are. There is a difference between hearing something and believing it and declaring it as the truth. An example would be this, I've heard that the Earth is flat. There is this organization called the Flat Earth Society, in my opinion quite a crazy organization, that goes around claiming that the Earth is flat. So, I can honestly say I've heard the Earth is flat, specifically from them. However just because I HEARD it doesn't mean I BELIEVE it and it certainly doesn't mean I declare it as truth. So when I post here about stuff that I HEARD regarding the martial arts, it doesn't mean Im trying to say its the truth, all too often Im checking with the people here to see if there is indeed any truth to it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you need to do is start your posts with 'Is this true.......'

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tez, Photon. I can see by your responses that you don't mind finding out what you posted isn't accurate or has some flaws, so you're clearly not walking in with that info proclaiming it as truth.

I try to find communications lessons in my miscommunications - and I certainly have enough of those to learn from. That people are taking your posts as statements of truth simply indicates a miscommunication. Since you can't change how they read it, just change a little of how you write it, so they can read your intent properly.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So starting my posts with and using the words "Is this true" sounds like good advice and its something I am going to start doing. Aside from that I think using the words, "I heard," can be a good idea too. Is this true?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So starting my posts with and using the words "Is this true" sounds like good advice and its something I am going to start doing. Aside from that I think using the words, "I heard," can be a good idea too. Is this true?
Yup. I just think you need to clarify what you mean when you create posts. It's tough to tell if it's something that you want feedback on, something you heard, or something you are trying to inform us of. Just knowing that can change the focus of the conversation to something more helpful.

...hopefully this gets posted in the right thread this time...

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK than, I heard that a good length for a jo staff is for it to come up to your armpit when you stand it lengthwise on the floor.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK than, I heard that a good length for a jo staff is for it to come up to your armpit when you stand it lengthwise on the floor.

Did you mean to post that here? Or is that an example of you not doing what you just said you would do? Cause we've kinda covered that answer already....

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Photonguy, a lot of your posts have been made that are written as if you are trying to inform people and state a fact. So I think to word things as a question rather than a fact would be a good idea. That being said I will give you credit, your posts have improved a lot over time. I think that shows your becoming a better martial artist and a better writer.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you mean to post that here? Or is that an example of you not doing what you just said you would do? Cause we've kinda covered that answer already....
Its an example of me posting something how I should in order to not make the wrong impression.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That works reasonably well. If you're feeling especially skeptical or unsure of the info, go ahead and add the question. "I heard that a good length for a jo staff is for it to come up to your armpit when you stand it lengthwise on the floor. Is that a general rule in most arts, a general rule for what I study, or just how my instructor sees it?"

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes, when I make a post and mention certain information some people here are under the impression that Im trying to present it as factual and declare it as the truth. I want to point out that that is often not the case. Sometimes I will pick up some information from a source and I will post it here. In doing so I am often checking on the validity of the information to see if its indeed legitimate information or if its misinformation. An example would be some of my posts about swords and other martial arts weapons. I don't know everything about swords and martial arts weapons and I will admit there's people here who are much more knowledgeable on those things than I am and so when I make a post where I post certain declarations Im trying to see how accurate those declarations are. There is a difference between hearing something and believing it and declaring it as the truth. An example would be this, I've heard that the Earth is flat. There is this organization called the Flat Earth Society, in my opinion quite a crazy organization, that goes around claiming that the Earth is flat. So, I can honestly say I've heard the Earth is flat, specifically from them. However just because I HEARD it doesn't mean I BELIEVE it and it certainly doesn't mean I declare it as truth. So when I post here about stuff that I HEARD regarding the martial arts, it doesn't mean Im trying to say its the truth, all too often Im checking with the people here to see if there is indeed any truth to it.
Hi PhotonGuy, sometimes things get jumbled up on message boards and at times it is impossible to understand how people are expressing themselves.
If you are seeking answers to your questions or to fact check then rewording your words would have a greater impact and would not be misunderstood. That is me editing after a reread
Gpseymour gave a great example of the importance of using the "heard" word.

I have heard that___is it true?
It is my understanding that__is
Does anyone know if____is accurate
Can you do____like this?
How do you do___
I was reading ___and came across___anyone know about this?
The questioning can go in many forms sticking to standard who,what, when, why, how and adding them to your sentence will give the reader a more though understanding that you are asking a question. Lastly, before you post reread the sentence, does it come off that it may be misunderstood if so, is there a way to reword it for clarification?
As Bill and Ted said "Be excellent to each other." Notice the bold letters sometimes rereading helps make it more clear.

Latest Discussions