My newest training weapon

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a Modular Platform System Rifle for Christmas. Call it an AR-15 if you don't know or don't care. It's the Panther Arms DPMS sweet 16 .223 before they called it that. From 04 or 05, right after the assault weapons ban expired. I got it with two 30 round mags, a cheap red dot, and a nice (but awkward on a platform rifle) presision scope with a red dot. The guy I got it from threw in 90% of a case of wolf .223 ammo. Wolf, like in every other gun I've tried I bnbin, shoot a like crap. The best I could do was a ten shot, four inch group at 100 yards. I just bought a few boxes of different HPBT match rounds to play with. Hopefully I can creep in on 1 inch groups! This thing is a blast to shoot. Virtually no recoil, just a bit of muzzle rise. Report isn't much either. With a bit of practice, I hope to keep pace with my younger brother in three gun competitions. And coyotes beware!

Attachments

• Resized_20181222_085635.jpeg
    Resized_20181222_085635.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Resized_20181224_100241(2).jpeg
    Resized_20181224_100241(2).jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Resized_20181222_085654(2).jpeg
    Resized_20181222_085654(2).jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Resized_20181222_085747.jpeg
    Resized_20181222_085747.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 218

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice.

If you decide to change optics Vortex makes some great affordable optics for ARs.

Plus they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also if you are doing 3 gun you might look at the 45 degree iron sights.

Gast and Easy transition and nice for close targets

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got a Modular Platform System Rifle for Christmas. Call it an AR-15 if you don't know or don't care. It's the Panther Arms DPMS sweet 16 .223 before they called it that. From 04 or 05, right after the assault weapons ban expired. I got it with two 30 round mags, a cheap red dot, and a nice (but awkward on a platform rifle) presision scope with a red dot. The guy I got it from threw in 90% of a case of wolf .223 ammo. Wolf, like in every other gun I've tried I bnbin, shoot a like crap. The best I could do was a ten shot, four inch group at 100 yards. I just bought a few boxes of different HPBT match rounds to play with. Hopefully I can creep in on 1 inch groups! This thing is a blast to shoot. Virtually no recoil, just a bit of muzzle rise. Report isn't much either. With a bit of practice, I hope to keep pace with my younger brother in three gun competitions. And coyotes beware!
why do you need an assualt rifle ?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
In short, it's the best choice firearm in the industry for easy handling, ergonomics, low cost of ammo, durability, customization, low recoil, and still maintaining the ability to take small to mid sized game.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In short, it's the best choice firearm in the industry for easy handling, ergonomics, low cost of ammo, durability, customization, low recoil, and still maintaining the ability to take small to mid sized game.
right ok you need an assualt rifle to shoot rabbits !

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry but what Runs With Fire listed is not an assault rifle. It is a rifle. It is a semi-automatic rifle. It is not automatic, or a select rate of fire weapon. It may have the look of some assault rifles but...nope it isn't an assault rifle.Which is the assault rifle.jpg
Which of the above are assault rifles? Hint: there is only one and it is not C.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
don't you think think having a laser sight to be a bit unsporting, which not just motor bomb the squirrels if you want to been sure not to miss
I don't have a laser sight, I find lasers annoying. I have a red dot which is an empty glass lens untill you switch it on, then it displays an illuminated red dot on the lens for aiming. They are preferred for aging eyes or low light conditions, as well as very quick target acquisition.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry but what Runs With Fire listed is not an assault rifle. It is a rifle. It is a semi-automatic rifle. It is not automatic, or a select rate of fire weapon. It may have the look of some assault rifles but...nope it isn't an assault rifle.View attachment 22048
Which of the above are assault rifles? Hint: there is only one and it is not C.
he has still bought a semi automatic assault rifle with laser sighting to shoot squirrels, I can take them out with a one pound 50 p catapult ,seems a bit over the top

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have a laser sight, I find lasers annoying. I have a red dot which is an empty glass lens untill you switch it on, then it displays an illuminated red dot on the lens for aiming. They are preferred for aging eyes or low light conditions, as well as very quick target acquisition.
quick target acquisition, ? are you afraid the squirrels may shoot back ?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
he has still bought a semi automatic assault rifle with laser sighting to shoot squirrels, I can take them out with a one pound 50 p catapult ,seems a bit over the top
No...he has a semi automatic rifle with a laser sight. That doesn't make it an assault rifle.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Think more of a timed competitive event. Red dots are renowned for fast, close range engagement. They are inaccurate past 50 yards.
so are catapults, why do you need fast engagement when squirrels just sit on a branch waiting to be shot ? you could sneak up and knock them off with a broom handle

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not an assault rifle, and it doesn't have a laser sight.
But there's no need to let facts interfere with your rant.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not an assault rifle, and it doesn't have a laser sight.
But there's no need to let facts interfere with your rant.
it is an assualt rifle, that it doesn't have full auto doesn't alter that fact, if you took the whole trigger mechanism off it would still be an assualt rifle,

Latest Discussions