My New Stance Habit

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Clearly you are unfamiliar with the nature of criminal violence. Criminals do not give you the opportunity to use your footwork or jabs. They ask you the time/for directions. As you are distracted they sucker punched you or put a knife to your throat.

"Non fighting" enough for you?

Again, fighting and self defence are not the same, yes a good punch is always a good punch, but the skills needed to be successful at fighting are not the same skills needed to be successful at self defence In fact some of the skills needed to be successful at fighting are the exact opposite of the skills needed to be successful at self defence. Again, listen to the martial map podcast which explains it better than I have the time or patience to do.

So you are suggesting i should gain my experience of criminal violence by listening to (An hour long podcast I might add) from some random guy.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So you are suggesting i should gain my experience of criminal violence by listening to (An hour long podcast I might add) from some random guy.
You are being delibertaly obtuse, but I have one more crack at it before throwing in the towel:-

I am not suggesting it will give you experience of violence at all. What I am suggesting it will help you understand why fighting and self defence are not one and the same thing.

You stated that you did not understand what "non fighting" methods criminals would use to attack their victims, if you wish to gain experience of that (without being the victim, which is one way but as we know is not the preferred method) then one safer way would be to look into case studies of violent crimes and interviews with the perpetrators where they detail how they select their victims, and how they carry out their crimes.

Although I do not have the time to go into details, some quick examples would be:-

I: How do you choose your victims?

J and P: Student types, men carrying umbrellas or wearing glasses, usually aged between twenty and thirty, occasionally older. We also look for people who are well dressed; smart clothes means money.

I: Why those particular types of people?

P: Because they always have money or cards, and they don’t give you any hassle.

I: What happens after you have chosen a victim?

P: We follow them, cross the road, walk past them maybe two or three times. Some of them must be thick not to notice what’s going on.

I: What is your next move?

J and P: We wait for them to walk into a side street or walk into a park, anywhere quiet. We walk up to them and ask the time, this distracts them while we pull out our knifes. When they look up we say, ‘Give us your lovely money!’ They usually look blank. Both of us shout at them, ‘Get your lovely wallet out’, and put the knives closer to their face.

-----

S: “I said if he wanted to go [fight] we should step outside, when he went to stand up I shoved my glass in his face.”

Interviewer: I heard that you stabbed a guy in the same pub, Steve.

S: Oh yeah. Did you hear about that, then? That was the barman. He grassed on me to the law about the glassing so he had to have some as well. I heard he was a bit of a Karate man so I didn’t take any chances. I walked in to the bar first thing in the morning, while it was quiet, less witnesses see. When he seen me he said I was barred, I said “Look man, I don’t want any grief with you, I know you can motor fight, I just want to tell you that there is no hard feelings on my part, let’s shake on it.’ lovely wanker fell for it. As he grabbed my right hand to shake it I pulled him hard in to me and stabbed him right in the kidneys. He went down like a sack of ****. I booted him a few times and walked out.

I: What would you do against someone like yourself?

S: The main thing is, I wouldn’t let them get close to me, no one gets close to me. And don’t believe anything they say, especially if they say they don’t want to fight. If they say they don’t want it [trouble] and back away, that’s all right, but if they say they don’t want it and try to get closer then you’ve got problems. Especially the ones who try and touch you, you know, put their arm around you all pally, pally like. They’re the worst ones. Oh and never shake hands with any of them. It’s the oldest trick in the book but it suckers them all. B does that, shakes their hands and butts them straight in the face. Don’t trust anyone.

I certainly wouldn't classify these as "fighting skills”. Instead they are classic examples of the four D’s, which criminals employ, Deception, Dialogue, Distraction, and Destructon.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are being delibertaly obtuse, but I have one more crack at it before throwing in the towel:-

I am not suggesting it will give you experience of violence at all. What I am suggesting it will help you understand why fighting and self defence are not one and the same thing.

You stated that you did not understand what "non fighting" methods criminals would use to attack their victims, if you wish to gain experience of that (without being the victim, which is one way but as we know is not the preferred method) then one safer way would be to look into case studies of violent crimes and interviews with the perpetrators where they detail how they select their victims, and how they carry out their crimes.

Although I do not have the time to go into details, some quick examples would be:-

I: How do you choose your victims?

J and P: Student types, men carrying umbrellas or wearing glasses, usually aged between twenty and thirty, occasionally older. We also look for people who are well dressed; smart clothes means money.

I: Why those particular types of people?

P: Because they always have money or cards, and they don’t give you any hassle.

I: What happens after you have chosen a victim?

P: We follow them, cross the road, walk past them maybe two or three times. Some of them must be thick not to notice what’s going on.

I: What is your next move?

J and P: We wait for them to walk into a side street or walk into a park, anywhere quiet. We walk up to them and ask the time, this distracts them while we pull out our knifes. When they look up we say, ‘Give us your lovely money!’ They usually look blank. Both of us shout at them, ‘Get your lovely wallet out’, and put the knives closer to their face.

-----

S: “I said if he wanted to go [fight] we should step outside, when he went to stand up I shoved my glass in his face.”

Interviewer: I heard that you stabbed a guy in the same pub, Steve.

S: Oh yeah. Did you hear about that, then? That was the barman. He grassed on me to the law about the glassing so he had to have some as well. I heard he was a bit of a Karate man so I didn’t take any chances. I walked in to the bar first thing in the morning, while it was quiet, less witnesses see. When he seen me he said I was barred, I said “Look man, I don’t want any grief with you, I know you can motor fight, I just want to tell you that there is no hard feelings on my part, let’s shake on it.’ lovely wanker fell for it. As he grabbed my right hand to shake it I pulled him hard in to me and stabbed him right in the kidneys. He went down like a sack of ****. I booted him a few times and walked out.

I: What would you do against someone like yourself?

S: The main thing is, I wouldn’t let them get close to me, no one gets close to me. And don’t believe anything they say, especially if they say they don’t want to fight. If they say they don’t want it [trouble] and back away, that’s all right, but if they say they don’t want it and try to get closer then you’ve got problems. Especially the ones who try and touch you, you know, put their arm around you all pally, pally like. They’re the worst ones. Oh and never shake hands with any of them. It’s the oldest trick in the book but it suckers them all. B does that, shakes their hands and butts them straight in the face. Don’t trust anyone.

I certainly wouldn't classify these as "fighting skills”. Instead they are classic examples of the four D’s, which criminals employ, Deception, Dialogue, Distraction, and Destructon.

I could have got that advice from the lonley planet guide. Still not sure what I am going to get out of this hour long podcast.

Just seems silly.

10 tips for preventing theft during travel | Lonely Planet blog

Otherwise nothing there says you cant stance up and throw combinations. Just dont shake hands or accept hugs.

Latest Discussions