my new office

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you share the vehicle? Or is that blood from your previous shift's festivities?

We share vehiclrs blood was from last night I guess midnight guys didn't bother cleaning it. They will just say OH it was dark we didn't see it.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We share vehiclrs blood was from last night I guess midnight guys didn't bother cleaning it. They will just say OH it was dark we didn't see it.

Better than puke, urine or ****. :)

Did they bother to fill the tank? That's always a common patrol gripe.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Better than puke, urine or ****. :)

Very very true. Nothing better then first thing in morning getting into a car that smells like all 3. You known its bad when you walk out to find your car and all the windows are down when you find it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our policy allows pursuits for felony crimes, and allows officers to "follow" for a "reasonable time and distance" for other offenses, but mandates that supervisors terminate pursuits for non-felony offenses when it becomes apparent that it's not going to end safely and/or soon (read: most of them). And mandates that any pursuit be terminated when it becomes apparent that it's getting out of control.

The boss has to write up an "explain yourself" report for all pursuits on his watch (always fun doing that) so it's in his best interest to end them in most cases. It's actually a pretty good policy.

Chases on Midnight's are also a different animal from chases on Day's

LOL at the last paragraph. There's a nearby PD where "terminate pursuit" really means "stop broadcasting the pursuit on the radio".

Some of the old timers tell stories of the days when chases were almost a weekly thing. And they were allowed to "shoot out tires". Times have changed.

I'm actually a believer in "terminating pursuits" meaning make the pursuit STOP -- not stop chasing. I think ending pursuits quickly and aggressively makes sense and minimizes the risks to people. If you have a guy popping rounds off in a shopping center, you don't watch him and wait for him to stop; you put a stop to it. If you've got some knucklehead endangering everyone by running from the cops -- put an end to the pursuit. Techniques like PIT, stop sticks (not so much a fan for a lot of reasons), rolling roadblocks... There's a lot in the arsenal to bring a pursuit to a stop, rather than simply stopping chasing them.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm actually a believer in "terminating pursuits" meaning make the pursuit STOP -- not stop chasing. I think ending pursuits quickly and aggressively makes sense and minimizes the risks to people. If you have a guy popping rounds off in a shopping center, you don't watch him and wait for him to stop; you put a stop to it. If you've got some knucklehead endangering everyone by running from the cops -- put an end to the pursuit. Techniques like PIT, stop sticks (not so much a fan for a lot of reasons), rolling roadblocks... There's a lot in the arsenal to bring a pursuit to a stop, rather than simply stopping chasing them.

All of which is against our GOs

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Reminds me of this one I was in:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-22794993.html

Armed robbery, high speed chase down a Thruway for MILES. Went so far I lost radio comms and had to use a phone. State police tossed spikes but couldn't tell us to back off so 3-4 of our cars got spiked too. The car kept going on flats but slowed down enough for a PIT. I was shift Sgt that night, talk about one call taking up the whole shift....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That makes sense to me. What confused me is the order in which it played out over the radio.
City called Town to get the car. Town told City they don't want the car. City begins processing the car and THEN city dispatch indicates the car was reported stolen.

I understand there is more going on behind the scenes...this simply be the case of the radio not carrying the whole story :)

May be pieces you aren't aware of. For example, about a year ago, the rook I was training at the time and I go to stop a car. Chase is on, and the suspects take leg bail just before I was going to have to tell him to shut the chase down. We end up catching the knuckleheads, who had just stolen the car. So... the car wasn't stolen when the chase started, and we actually had to send the county PD over to take the stolen vehicle report!

Guessing about why the town may not have wanted to deal with it could have been the location; they may not have been able to send someone to where the car was due to staffing or just distance. I couldn't send one of my guys 20 miles away just to process a car... Give us the suspect info, and we can go to the magistrate and get our warrants later.

Or... it might have been too late in the shift, and they just didn't want to deal with it...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

And backed by the USSC (in some cases) to boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_v._Harris

Most policy is about liability and lawsuit costs at the municipality level in the end. I agree with the public safety aspect, but Im a cynic when it comes to the REAL reason.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reminds me of this one I was in:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-22794993.html

Armed robbery, high speed chase down a Thruway for MILES. Went so far I lost radio comms and had to use a phone. State police tossed spikes but couldn't tell us to back off so 3-4 of our cars got spiked too..

If our system was in place, your dispatch or IC could have your agency's radio and the NYSP radios communicating with each other AND patched in to your cell so everyone could communicate with everyone else...seamlessly and with mil-spec security.

Not saying this as a plug, just saying....this is what I do for a living. So I *REALLY* appreciate when all of you indulge my questions, even the minor stuff. Helps me do my job better, which in turn helps my team help you better. :asian:

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If our system was in place, your dispatch or IC could have your agency's radio and the NYSP radios communicating with each other AND patched in to your cell so everyone could with them seamlessly and with mil-spec security.

Not saying this as a plug, just saying....this is what I do for a living. So I *REALLY* appreciate when all of you indulge my questions, even the minor stuff. Helps me do my job better, which in turn helps my team help you better. :asian:
Sounds like dark magic

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If our system was in place, your dispatch or IC could have your agency's radio and the NYSP radios communicating with each other AND patched in to your cell so everyone could communicate with everyone else seamlessly and with mil-spec security.

In theory, our radio system can do that now. Functionally, we aren't using multi-agency patches the way we could... It blows enough minds when we simply get on someone else's channel rather than do the dispatcher relay (Scout Adam-12 to dispatch; please tell County Dispatch..."

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You guys using plain talk or still using 10-codes? We just switched this week away from 10-codes I'm having so much fun with "yep" or "I got this". On the radio

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In theory, our radio system can do that now. Functionally, we aren't using multi-agency patches the way we could... It blows enough minds when we simply get on someone else's channel rather than do the dispatcher relay (Scout Adam-12 to dispatch; please tell County Dispatch..."
It even more fun when someone else's radios end up on our channels and they don't know and start talking like they are on their own channels.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You guys using plain talk or still using 10-codes? We just switched this week away from 10-codes I'm having so much fun with "yep" or "I got this". On the radio

10-codes here. IMO they can be useful when suspects can hear your radio....a BG hearing "your guy has a warrant" while he's standing in front of you could be trouble...he may not know what 10-65 means.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Ours takes that concept and puts it on steroids, linking not only radios but also streaming video, file sharing (for uploading floor plans and other useful docs), chat-style messaging, and telephone interfaces. Its pretty slick, and our mobile units are deployed on Panasonic Toughbooks or ruggedized Dells, which is why Ballen's Toughbook caught my eye. Between you guys and the NATO troops, I don't know who is harder on their gear. ;)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If our system was in place, your dispatch or IC could have your agency's radio and the NYSP radios communicating with each other AND patched in to your cell so everyone could communicate with everyone else...seamlessly and with mil-spec security.

It's all about "who pays". In my area the County is the blanket agency that is in charge of comms, computer systems etc. Why the county does what it does and buys what it buys is voodoo to me.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ours takes that concept and puts it on steroids, linking not only radios but also streaming video, file sharing (for uploading floor plans and other useful docs), chat-style messaging, and telephone interfaces. Its pretty slick, and our mobile units are deployed on Panasonic Toughbooks or ruggedized Dells, which is why Ballen's Toughbook caught my eye. Between you guys and the NATO troops, I don't know who is harder on their gear. ;)

Have any stuff you could e-mail to me?

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep dark magic I'm convinced now

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
10-codes here. IMO they can be useful when suspects can hear your radio....a BG hearing "your guy has a warrant" while he's standing in front of you could be trouble...he may not know what 10-65 means.
Wanted checks are the only 10 code we still use but at this point anyone that's wanted knows the 10 code anyway

Latest Discussions