My karate tournament today and a orange belt grading.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
The tournament went well. MY sensei was there and I bronze medalled in kata for heian nidan.

I didnt do the kumite after because my senseis recommended against it. They said I only been training a little over a year and those Chito Ruy/taekwondo/whatever other MA were in that tournament were pretty rough and had little control. Sensei wants me to learn kumite within our own organization (which is very good and teaches a lot of control) I agreed with that. My senseis are my friends and I trust them. So I didnt sparr. But I have the sparring gloves and mouth piece for next year
wink.gif

btw My sensei came to me, hugged me and said I represent my dojo very well am a good representative. Did a nice Heian Nidan too.

After that he came to me and said I will have a grading for orange belt in two weeks. Dec. 3rd. I look forward to it and said Thank you sensei.

I am a happy panda.
smile.gif

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats! Sounds like you had a good experience. :) That's exciting about your orange belt test coming up. Let us know how it goes.

Robyn

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way to go!! Congrats on your medal and testing date!

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks! :)

btw heian nidan is my kyu testing form yeah. I'm gonna try to grade to 7th kyu from what i am now, 8th kyu.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sounds like you did very well. I'm glad competition was a positive experience for you. It sounds like you have good instructors. Keep training and listening to your sensei. It only gets better and better.

-Rob

OldKarateGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
So your next kyu test form is the same that you already performed at a tournament (under pressure)? Excellent, for showing initiative in choosing a tournament form beyond your grade, and also helping deal with your test, since now your test should feel easier, having performed the kata solo at a tournament.

As for the sparring, your sensei sounds like a smart guy.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
So your next kyu test form is the same that you already performed at a tournament (under pressure)? Excellent, for showing initiative in choosing a tournament form beyond your grade, and also helping deal with your test, since now your test should feel easier, having performed the kata solo at a tournament.

Oh yeah. The very same. I need to do heian nidan to pass to orange belt.

Its funny, cause when i was practicing before the competition my practice sucked, I didnt do it right. Then i actually do the thing for the mdeal. and - its good! go figure. lol. I thought actually competition is supposed to be more nerve wracking than practise?

oldkarateguy said:
As for the sparring, your sensei sounds like a smart guy.

He is :) Both my senseis. I love em. :angel:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on the performance!

Trust your sensei. When he held you out of the kumite, it wasn't to slight you in any way, shape, or form. He trusts you, but rightfully so, does not trust the other competitors at the beginner level.

As a teacher, and a certified judge, I'll tell you right away, that the most dangerous divisions are the adult beginner ones. At that level, the practitioners tend to have a lack of control, and there's absolutely nothing to be gained by sparring such individuals. I've seen beginner level sparring matches sometimes come close to becoming a 'rasslin match.

Once you get to the more advanced levels, that's where the sparring competitors, as a whole, tend to show more control.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the performance!

Trust your sensei. When he held you out of the kumite, it wasn't to slight you in any way, shape, or form. He trusts you, but rightfully so, does not trust the other competitors at the beginner level.

As a teacher, and a certified judge, I'll tell you right away, that the most dangerous divisions are the adult beginner ones. At that level, the practitioners tend to have a lack of control, and there's absolutely nothing to be gained by sparring such individuals. I've seen beginner level sparring matches sometimes come close to becoming a 'rasslin match.

Once you get to the more advanced levels, that's where the sparring competitors, as a whole, tend to show more control.

yeah I trust my sensei. and I told him so. :)