My Journey

New Instructor

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here. My Martial Arts started when I was a freshman in high school. I took Wu Shu kungfu in a small town in Lake Jackson Tx. Do to some unfortunate events I had to stop. I took one semester of Karate at Alvin Community college as an elective. Then I moved to Knoxville TN. I started Taekwondo in the Kumdo system. As I was training for national competition, I had a massive heart attack. I was a blue belt at the time. This was March 29th of 2000. Fast forward 8 years. Dec. 24th of 2008 I had a heart transplant... Yes, a heart transplant... In July of 2010 having moved back to TX. I started learning ITF Taekwondo. Now I am a 2nd degree preparing for my 3rd degree.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! That's an impressive display of persistence, but don't you think you're showing off a bit? :D

Seriously, good job keeping moving on something you want, in spite of it all. And seriously, welcome. You'll find a diverse group here. Some of us have been at martial arts since we were kids. Some of us started later in life. Some folks here have also dealt with some serious medical issues and kept going, and some of us (like me) have lesser issues we like to whine about. I hope you like it here.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Looking forward to your input. You have certainly overcome big issues.

OP
New Instructor

New Instructor

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! That's an impressive display of persistence, but don't you think you're showing off a bit? :D

Seriously, good job keeping moving on something you want, in spite of it all. And seriously, welcome. You'll find a diverse group here. Some of us have been at martial arts since we were kids. Some of us started later in life. Some folks here have also dealt with some serious medical issues and kept going, and some of us (like me) have lesser issues we like to whine about. I hope you like it here.
Not showing off at all. Just trying to be an encouragement to someone who my think that life is over after Transplant.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here. My Martial Arts started when I was a freshman in high school. I took Wu Shu kungfu in a small town in Lake Jackson Tx. Do to some unfortunate events I had to stop. I took one semester of Karate at Alvin Community college as an elective. Then I moved to Knoxville TN. I started Taekwondo in the Kumdo system. As I was training for national competition, I had a massive heart attack. I was a blue belt at the time. This was March 29th of 2000. Fast forward 8 years. Dec. 24th of 2008 I had a heart transplant... Yes, a heart transplant... In July of 2010 having moved back to TX. I started learning ITF Taekwondo. Now I am a 2nd degree preparing for my 3rd degree.
Well now that is a bit of a motivational speech. Well done sir, glad you are still around and able to join us.

I will keep you in mind for inspiration the next time I feel like the world is conspiring against me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MarialTalk, bro. So glad you made it through all you have.

Latest Discussions